Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

We ex-NYers are all over the world.  Easy to find us when we start "tawking".

I will always consider myself as a New Yorker even though I now have been in Texas over 40 years, I remember inviting a coworker to watch a football game on our big screen , he was a little in shock since everyone else were New Yorkers and we were all cheering for the Giants😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

There are people here who were born in Dallas as their parents were.  True Native Dallasites.  Yet, they have absolutely no accent at all.  Hard to tell where they're from.  Then there are those native Dallasites who talk pure down home Texan.

Whenever I meet someone, they KNOW where I'm from.

Me too.I am fluent in Brooklynese.I seem to be the only one of my friends and relatives who never lost their accent as the people who post on this thread and have met me can tell you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm practicing for my trip to NYC in January so that I can properly order a "cawfee" in the morning.  I play golf with 2 guys...one from NYC with as big a NY accent as you can get and the other from Georgia, with as big a GA drawl as you can get.  They practically can't understand each other.  😁

I'm so glad that you posted this.  I just did battle with some eggs a few days ago to make egg salad and I was ready to throw things around the kitchen by the time I was done.  I had to pick off the shell in little 1/4" by 1/4" pieces...sometimes taking a chunk of egg with the shell.  I'm writing this down!

It really works, honest.  Please post results.

NYC in January could be brutal.  Hope the weather cooperates.  Don't forget to have pizza, bagels and deli if they're foods you like.  Where in NYC will you be visiting?

I once answered a land line phone message for Jack who was on a business trip.  Guy was from wayyy down South:

Ahd lock sum uh thayim bayinds.

Translation:  I'd like some of those bands. (for watches).

I'm glad I wasn't home when the guy actually called.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm practicing for my trip to NYC in January so that I can properly order a "cawfee" in the morning.  I play golf with 2 guys...one from NYC with as big a NY accent as you can get and the other from Georgia, with as big a GA drawl as you can get.  They practically can't understand each other.  😁

I'm so glad that you posted this.  I just did battle with some eggs a few days ago to make egg salad and I was ready to throw things around the kitchen by the time I was done.  I had to pick off the shell in little 1/4" by 1/4" pieces...sometimes taking a chunk of egg with the shell.  I'm writing this down!

A close friend of mine who grew up in NYC married a woman from Georgia.

They moved to the city of Adel and he taught English there for 32 years.He never lost his NY accent .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

NYC in January could be brutal.  Hope the weather cooperates.  Don't forget to have pizza, bagels and deli if they're foods you like.  Where in NYC will you be visiting?

I once answered a land line phone message for Jack who was on a business trip.  Guy was from wayyy down South:

January is not always cold.Toby and  I got married in January 1967 and the temperature that day was close to 80.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I know you don't want to drag this out so if you choose to not reply to my question so the topic goes away, I'm okay with that. It's all good.

When you say "on here",  do you mean CC in general or Dani's thread specifically?  Or on a cruise ship?

I'm just being nosy as I'm sometimes oblivious to what is going on around me. No harm, no foul if you rather not elaborate. I'm not looking for you to name names. 🙂

I’m not going to ignore your questions.  The comments were made on two social platforms most of us frequent by a beloved by all and compassionate person .  Probably clueless they were going to be hurtful.  I hope , X sees this and stops with the negativity. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

January in Manhattan is awesome when it is 20° and the wind is blowing up the avenues.😐

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I was born in Maryland, moved to  Georgia when I was two, lived in Georgia for 60 years and went to college in Virginia.  I have no Southern accent.  🤷‍♀️

One of my son in laws was born in Maryland,went to college in Virginia and also does not have an accent.

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Especially when the sidewalks are covered in ice & the streets deep with slush.

I spent 25 years working on E.18 St and walked to E.57 St.every day after work in winters to take an Express bus home to Brooklyn because it was the only way I could get a seat.It was “wonderful “ walking on the slushy streets.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

@lenquixote66 Lenny - Thank you for the "Bodies" recommendation.  We are 3 episodes in and are hooked.  It's such an interesting premise.  

If you have any questions about NYC I have lived in NY 80 plus years ,60 of which were in NYC and I spent 45 years working all over the city.

47 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

40 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

January is not always cold.Toby and  I got married in January 1967 and the temperature that day was close to 80.

The primary reason that we're going is to see Billy Joel at MSG on Jan 11.  We also got tickets for the Book of Mormon.  We're staying at The Michelangelo on 51st and 7th per @George C's recommendation.  Looks great and a good location.  Pizza, bagels, breakfast sandwich, deli lunch, black and white cookies are all in the plans.  We have reservations at a restaurant called La Masseria on W 48th, based on a recommendation from a friend who lives here but visits frequently.  We'll probably go up to the Summit OV, weather allowing.  We've previously done Top of the Rock and Summit OV looks interesting with its various "art rooms". It's also right next to Grand Central Station, which we've never seen.  We'll also visit the 9/11 Memorial.  Still deciding what else we want to do.  Weather will be a big deciding factor.  I'm hoping for something closer to Lenny's wedding weather but planning for snow and cold.  

Any other ideas...I'm all ears.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

On a totally different note than any topic discussed, I am so happy to finally find a way to peel hard boil eggs without taking half the egg off with the shell.

For those interested:

. Place refrigerated eggs in boiling water.  Cold eggs in hot water shrinks the membrane away from the shell.

. For hard boiled, bring back to boil and cook for 13 minutes.

. When time is up, pour out the hot water and pour some cool water in the pot.  No need for an ice bath.

. Cover the pot and shake vigorously for a few seconds.

. Some of the eggs actually peel inside the pot

. Take out eggs and the peel slides off of the egg effortless.

We had egg salad for lunch. 😄🥚🥚

I have found the best way for me is in the Instant Pot, corded pressure cooker.  Great if you have one, 5 minute cook, 5 minute cool down, release and 5 minute use bath. Peel right away, have never had issues with the shells.  Will have to try this method as well, looks good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

And how usual is that?

39 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Especially when the sidewalks are covered in ice & the streets deep with slush.

AND you get drenched in slush when cars pass you.

@bobmacliberty Your NYC plans sound fabulous, best part is the Billy Joel concert.  I haven't been back in "the city" for many years. 

If weather permits, I would walk along the Highline, meander thru South Street Seaport in Lower Manhattan, maybe a visit to the Met for some culture.

I remember HBE4 posted some neat NYC spots a while ago.  Maybe he can repost?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

There are people here who were born in Dallas as their parents were.  True Native Dallasites.  Yet, they have absolutely no accent at all.  Hard to tell where they're from.  Then there are those native Dallasites who talk pure down home Texan.

This is sooo true.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

The primary reason that we're going is to see Billy Joel at MSG on Jan 11.  We also got tickets for the Book of Mormon.  We're staying at The Michelangelo on 51st and 7th per @George C's recommendation.  Looks great and a good location.  Pizza, bagels, breakfast sandwich, deli lunch, black and white cookies are all in the plans.  We have reservations at a restaurant called La Masseria on W 48th, based on a recommendation from a friend who lives here but visits frequently.  We'll probably go up to the Summit OV, weather allowing.  We've previously done Top of the Rock and Summit OV looks interesting with its various "art rooms". It's also right next to Grand Central Station, which we've never seen.  We'll also visit the 9/11 Memorial.  Still deciding what else we want to do.  Weather will be a big deciding factor.  I'm hoping for something closer to Lenny's wedding weather but planning for snow and cold.  

My favorite bar is in steakhouse about 2 blocks from the hotel Gallagher’s, they don’t use shot glasses to make your very healthy drinks , you pass the freezer where they age the steaks , was a speakeasy a hundred years ago . Angelos pizza is in the Ed Sullivan theater a couple of blocks from Gallagher’s and they film Steven Colbert show. I have been drinking in Gallagher’s for decades, seen some famous people there like George C Scott. The hotel has a small bat open from around  4 to midnight. Just a block from the hotel is Ellen’s stardust dinner that has out of work singers and dancers as staff and they do lots of singing open from morning to past midnight, only problem is they normally have a long line to get in. You can go to top of World Trade Center elevator ride is amazing great if it is a clear day , cost was 25 or so a person. 54 below has some great entertainment need to check to see who is playing, also Carlyle room has big entertainment, they had Herb Albert there recently and place seats less than 200 , but not cheap,

Edited by George C
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Billy Joel and one of my co-workers from 50 years ago grew up together.She often told us of their childhood adventures.In 2007 I organized a school reunion .People came from all over the world .

We discovered that even though we all grew up in NYC there were so many places that we never went to .The summer reunion was spent at every place we had never been to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

And how usual is that?

AND you get drenched in slush when cars pass you.

@bobmacliberty Your NYC plans sound fabulous, best part is the Billy Joel concert.  I haven't been back in "the city" for many years. 

If weather permits, I would walk along the Highline, meander thru South Street Seaport in Lower Manhattan, maybe a visit to the Met for some culture.

I remember HBE4 posted some neat NYC spots a while ago.  Maybe he can repost?

The Highline is wonderful as is South Street Seaport,the various museums ,and my favorite Ellis Island.Years ago I became good friends with a guy who posted on CC.We exchanged e-mail addresses,then phone numbers ,then home addresses.He lived in Tennessee but grew up in Staten Island.

He sent me a book about Ellis Island .I knew that I one day would have to go there.,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

January in Manhattan is awesome when it is 20° and the wind is blowing up the avenues.😐

A guy who zooms the Creative Writing for Parkinson’s that I belong to has a residence on Block Island.I found that out today.He is a retired Dentist from Manhattan.

• Like 2