Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

Patti, Jade is @Ocean Boy gorgeous Russian Blue cat with the beautiful green eyes. @Ocean Boy picture please.😃

Thanks Pat! I didn't realize it was a cross post. I thought maybe @A&L_Ont had a new pet. I certainly know what gorgeous kitty Jade is. And all the other cats on this thread. ☺️ It has been a dumb week.

I had to drop my pristine Subaru Outback at the body shop early this morning. I was at the nail salon a few weeks ago and a lady with a BMW was at the grocery store, she forgot to put in park, and it rolled into my car. I definitely have to commend this woman for her honesty and consideration! She left a note on my wiper with her contact information and texted me her insurance info. I think I may drop off flowers when I get the car back, because it was $4,000 worth of damage. But I have just been a little discombobulated. ☺️

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

So you are paying like $73 a month for YouTubeTv, so then what does your internet cost per month?

I put in  our zip code and it says we get 121 channels, so that wouldn't be bad.

I see NFL Network but don't see MLB Network ?

I have AT&T Fiber Optics for my Internet Provider as we only have AT&T or Comcast as the two top ISP in our area.  Verizon Home Internet is supposed to be coming soon to many cities in the bay area but we'll see how fast they expand out. 

You can use any ISP with YouTube TV.  If you are happy with your ISP, no need to switch.

Here's an article comparing YouTube TV with Hulu+ as they are the top 2 Streaming TV services:

https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/youtube-tv-vs-hulu-live-tv

I'm paying $70/month for 1 Gig speed and that includes a subscription to HBO (or Max as it's now called).   If I switch to Comcast and downgrade to a lower speed, I could potentially save some money but Comcast has iffy reliability issues out here, and since we rely on the Internet to work from home, a good ISP is key to our work.

On a side note - many employers in California are now required to reimburse/subsidize employees working from home in using their home Internet/cell phone for work purposes. The standard price I'm seeing is $25 to $50/month reimbursement from employers for WFH folks.

https://calemploymentlawupdate.proskauer.com/2023/07/court-of-appeal-clarifies-employers-expense-reimbursement-obligations-for-pandemic-related-remote-work/

I'm not a baseball fan so I don't know about MLB network.  My son watches the SF Giants on NBC Sports Bay Area Network so it will cover the local sports teams but maybe not all National teams.

Edited by harryfat1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Keksie said:

I may be odd but I like my dish or cable tv.  All the different streaming services are very confusing.  For us we have certain shows on certain nights such as last night was the Voice.  Wednesday is survivor and amazing race.  I wouldn't even know which streaming service would have those shows and when.  My friend never knows what is happening because they don't get local news channels. 

Like I said we are probably the odd ones but it works for us.

With YouTubeTV, you will likely get all your regular local channels -- with ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX -- and you just tell the service what shows you want to watch and it records them regardless of what channel they're on.  

If all you watch is "regular tv" (not old series or movies), there is no need for a bunch of different streaming services.  YouTubeTV has everything you get with a basic cable system, and you can add on things like HBO, Starz, or Showtime for an extra fee, just like with cable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We like YouTube TV a lot.  The unlimited DVR is nice but you need to know that it's all stored in the cloud, not on a local box.  That's not a problem so long as you have a reliable internet connection. It also means that you can play back something from anywhere in the world, like your daughter's house in Cincinnati. 😉

I can even watch stuff when I'm at work!!!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We cut the cord as they say a few months ago.  So far it’s going well.  We can’t watch much live TV but didn’t anyway.  Somehow we have a news channel or 2.  Our bill was getting crazy.  The buffering at times is annoying.  I’m a little anxious about storm season here and how we’ll know  how storms are moving which is important in our area.  In the past few years we’ve had at least 2 property damaging tornados within 2-4 miles of us. But we are saving a good chuck of money over dropping cable. 

If you have a smartphone, you can set it to receive local weather alerts. 

9 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My question for the tech experts (actually it’s Andy’s question) is, we would probably need to update/upgrade our router. Does this mean every single device - phones, computers, automatic thermostats, outdoor cameras, etc will need to be reset?

You wouldn't necessarily have to change your modem/router.  We kept the internet with the original supplier (Spectrum) and just cut out the landline and cable tv.  No changes needed.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We just picked it up from our vet, but they do small and large animals.  They didn’t see Lucy they only had to hear about her journey and that I saw a couple of worms. As they said then, outside cats tend to get into a fair amount of things that can help them get worms. Ever since that summer we dose her in the spring and once again later in the season.  I do the secondary treatments.  When we used to have livestock we picked many different types of medications prescribed from phone discussions.  

Not sure if your local vet would be as easy to work with but I think either way of getting it would work. 

I used to take a stool sample in to the vet's office every spring, and the dogs always came back positive for worms, just from hanging out in our yard (we get deer, bunnies, squirrels, chipmunks, and even the occasional skunk).  

So now I don't even bother with the stool sample -- why pay for a test when I know it's going to be positive?  Now I just get them dewormed every spring, with a second dose to take home to give 2-3 weeks later.  

• Like 2

Yesterday was our weekly babysitting  day with our 2yr 8mth grandson.  He has a cold and cough but initially looked pretty much OK as just had his baby medicine and inhaler. But we decided to miss out on our normal music class and play ground visit due to the cold. But we did feed the ducks, probably a mistake as he was running around for a few minutes in the cold air. Things went downhill as the day progressed and it ended up in A@E and overnight stay in hospital as his wheezing had started again and the Dr's need to monitor his oxygen when he is sleeping. 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 11/26/2023 at 1:36 PM, NHProud said:

The cost at the low end started at 30K /yr and one interviewee was paying in that range.  J ‘s WC is in the 70K neighborhood for fewer months. Super M in an interview told us he averages ~ 80K /yr .for an inside cabin with no frills like specialty restaurants.  You’ll be able to read about J’s adventures on that other social media platform. He intends to post frequently according to L . You can register with a nom de plume .  Just inform of your screen name or use it . 

Initial cost for entire UWC was $59K pp, dbl occupancy.

When they released the 17 mini legs it dropped by almost half, but all the included benefits became ala Carte. We stayed with original booking. MB said about 12 families rebooked

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

I'm sorry. Who is Jade? ☺️

6 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Patti, Jade is @Ocean Boy gorgeous Russian Blue cat with the beautiful green eyes. @Ocean Boy picture please.😃

It took me a few seconds too to figure out "Jade" 😉

5 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@Coralc Sorry you are having a rough week, and I agree, the woman was a blessing.

Patti @Coralc  + 1

It is hard to keep up with all of the different threads, cats, dogs, children,,,,, but we try. 😹  That's what friends are for..🤗

@taznremmy  Pat 🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Yesterday was our weekly babysitting  day with our 2yr 8mth grandson.  He has a cold and cough but initially looked pretty much OK as just had his baby medicine and inhaler. But we decided to miss out on our normal music class and play ground visit due to the cold. But we did feed the ducks, probably a mistake as he was running around for a few minutes in the cold air. Things went downhill as the day progressed and it ended up in A@E and overnight stay in hospital as his wheezing had started again and the Dr's need to monitor his oxygen when he is sleeping. 

Not the ending to the day of babysitting that you wanted.  Hope your little grandson is much improved this morning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Ahh, the poor baby.   Sorry to hear this Sue.   This little fellow sure has had some complications.  Hopefully he outgrows them.   

Our Son Chris had bad asthma as a baby and young boy and we spent several days and nights in hospitals.  He always wanted to play various sports but couldn't because of his issues.

Happy to say he does great now.   Still carries an inhaler but hardly ever uses it.  He started playing ice hockey in his late teens and is now on an adult league and rides his bike on long rides on a regular basis with no issues. 

I hope your little guy feels better soon😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Not the ending to the day of babysitting that you wanted.  Hope your little grandson is much improved this morning.

He's happily playing in  the children's ward playroom. Still breathing heavily and obviously still full of cold but they're  hoping the Dr's say he can go home tonight, depends how the day goes.  🤞 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Jimbo said:

So you are paying like $73 a month for YouTubeTv, so then what does your internet cost per month?

I would imagine that most people would be paying for internet anyway and not adding it in order to get YouTube TV. So all that really matters for comparisons is what they were paying for cable, dish, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Initial cost for entire UWC was $59K pp, dbl occupancy.

When they released the 17 mini legs it dropped by almost half, but all the included benefits became ala Carte. We stayed with original booking. MB said about 12 families rebooked

Enjoy your cruise. I want to hear all about it so will need to join "the Club".

• Like 1