Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I love watching the actual sport competitions. The opening parade...not so much.

I actually enjoy the last day when all the athletes walk in together.  Wonderful show of camaraderie and brotherhood.  Sad when the Olympic torch is extinguished,

Opening ceremony takes forever announcing each country.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Momof3gurlz, so sorry to hear that your get together in Albany with family has been canceled.  Your poor MIL must be beside herself with worry, as well as disappointment.

I spent many of my childhood Summers in Albany, where my mom's sister and family lived.  My Aunt Betty and cousin Cathy were school crossing guards there, and  my cousin Peg was a Police Officer.

Btw, I'm a mom of 3 girls, also!😊

One of my daughters went to college in Albany.She was majoring in Criminal Justice.She lived off campus in her senior year in a house owned by a Police Officer.He was very happy to have a student living there who might be a future police officer.She became a high school Social Studies teacher but learned a lot from her landlord.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Great News!

Most of you know that we planned to start off on our family vacation today.  We had our Skyline Chili stops mapped out and other things.  We later found our girls had a surprise for us and they hired a photographer for Lakeside family pictures!  After we got hit, it took a lot of effort to talk  two of the families to still go.  One was to leave early this morning and one this afternoon.  Yesterday evening they were making last minute preparation when……

We received a text from the person we were renting from.  He agreed to do a "lift and shift" 😊.  It was exciting news but also stressful.  Two families, excited to take off on vacation and was able to get work figured out now has this dropped on them.

We found out this morning everyone got work to let them go later.  The stress is now gone and all are happy we will have a full family vacation again… so thankful it’s working out again 💥.  The new trip date is Aug 29.  The last week Lakeside is officially open.  My brother wants me to get well so he can beat me at shuffle board!

You're due for some good times.  Good luck with your shuffleboard challenge!

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We were supposed to go up to the Albany area on Sunday for a get together with DH’s side of the family. His sister, her husband and their 3 adult kids live there and my MIL lives in a senior apt nearby. DH’s brother & his wife/kids live in the Dallas area but are back for 2 weeks at their Vermont property. So my MIL reserved the community room & patio at her place.  Last night we find out DH’s sister, her husband and one of their daughters are sick.  The husband went to ER and was being tested (don’t know why they’re not all being tested). Have not heard from any of them ( they’re terrible communicaters), but the get together is off.  They are all fully vaxxed.  

Holding good thoughts that everything will turn out ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I actually enjoy the last day when all the athletes walk in together.  Wonderful show of camaraderie and brotherhood.  Sad when the Olympic torch is extinguished,

I like when they light the cauldron and when they put it out. I tend to enjoy watching the winter Olympics better than summer.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Awesome!!

How are you feeling today?  and your grandson?  Much better, I hope!

Thanks for asking.  My daughter says my grandson is rarely coughing now.  She told his almost 3 yr old sister…..they were keeping them separated but she said we’re still at the same house. So that’s when I said we could move out! 😂😂

I am so much better.   I so much appreciate the concern, thoughtfulness and encouragement so many here has shown toward my Grandson and me.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@JimboIs that a field behind the trees? Do you know what they plant?

It was suppose to be 9 more holes for the golf course for a total of 27 holes for the course. But all the neighbors here say that will never happen. So we are glad of that. 🙂 No one ever building behind us.

So in those fields it's some kind of grass(hay) that just grows up every year on it's own. There is a local farmer nearby that has permission to come on the fields around end of June to the end of July to harvest all the hay. You can see those large round bales of hay that are left in the fields. The Farmer has yet to come back and pick those all up.

When we moved in this past January the grass was about 10 inches high......then with all the rain in the spring and warmer weather it grew to about 4ft high.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The field right behind out house was cut about 2 weeks ago, you can see the round bales of hay still laying there....Then there is 2 more fields that have yet to be cut further out.......They look brownish because the grass is starting to dry out.

He actually started today to cut that. So in about 3 weeks, those 2 fields will look as green as the field behind out house.

20210721_140438.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

In 1996 the Torch went through Minneapolis/St. Paul. It was 1 block from our house. We walked the to the Parkway about an hour before it was scheduled to pass by. Already super crowded. The cheering and clapping was thunderous. It was thrilling!

My cousin was in the Sydney and Athens Olympics. She was a high diver. (She did not win.)

Edited by Bailey & Sophie
Added info
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@Bailey & Sophie Making it to the Olympics is still a very big accomplishment. She must have had a blast apart from all the training.

Our family was super proud. The Committee wanted her to do the next Olympics, but she had gotten married and was going to have a baby. I think she went on to coaching.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I would love to live in a place like that, but it gets to cold for me. What are the mosquitoes like? They absolutely love me. 😡

Winters are weird. Sometimes we've worn light jackets until Feb. Cold dpells are temporary. When it snows the plows are out right away. After a couple of days everything is cleared off enough to wear shoes instead of winter boots. The trunk always has blankets, extra boots, scarves, gloves, etc. When I run errands I usually take side streets so there's help if I need it. Cruising in Feb really helps cut winter shorter.

I suppose it's like Florida...if it's super cold (or hot) you just stay put for a few days.

Ah, mosquitoes, the Minnesota state bird. They love me too and I think I'm allergic. I get a bite and it can last 2-3 weeks. We use bug spray and that helps but when they're active I don't stay out long.

We've given lots of thought to moving south someday. After living in this house for 40 years we have a LOT of crap!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We were supposed to go up to the Albany area on Sunday for a get together with DH’s side of the family. His sister, her husband and their 3 adult kids live there and my MIL lives in a senior apt nearby. DH’s brother & his wife/kids live in the Dallas area but are back for 2 weeks at their Vermont property. So my MIL reserved the community room & patio at her place.  Last night we find out DH’s sister, her husband and one of their daughters are sick.  The husband went to ER and was being tested (don’t know why they’re not all being tested). Have not heard from any of them ( they’re terrible communicaters), but the get together is off.  They are all fully vaxxed.  

So sorry your plans are in ruins . Best wishes that all your in laws have nothing serious and make  a speedy recovery.  At least you have the comfort that  they are fully vaxxed if its covid .

Hopefully you can reschedule.  You MIL must be really upset 

Xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Great News!

Most of you know that we planned to start off on our family vacation today.  We had our Skyline Chili stops mapped out and other things.  We later found our girls had a surprise for us and they hired a photographer for Lakeside family pictures!  After we got hit, it took a lot of effort to talk  two of the families to still go.  One was to leave early this morning and one this afternoon.  Yesterday evening they were making last minute preparation when……

We received a text from the person we were renting from.  He agreed to do a "lift and shift" 😊.  It was exciting news but also stressful.  Two families, excited to take off on vacation and was able to get work figured out now has this dropped on them.

We found out this morning everyone got work to let them go later.  The stress is now gone and all are happy we will have a full family vacation again… so thankful it’s working out again 💥.  The new trip date is Aug 29.  The last week Lakeside is officially open.  My brother wants me to get well so he can beat me at shuffle board!

Happy for you all to be able to rearrange.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Sorry to hear this.

Hopefully you might be able to rearrange at another time.

• Like 1

The kids asked for seafood pasta, and DH was more than happy to oblige....

Sea food.jpg

Sea food1.jpg

He added a cold cucumber soup, which was received "coldly" [I thought it was excellent].

Cucumber soup.jpg

My chocolate soufle was a hit 😉

soufle.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 15

On 7/22/2021 at 5:13 PM, BonTexasNY said:

At the height of our lockdown last year my hair looked like a skunk's fur.  It was ok because most of my friends sported the same hairdo. 🦨  I had to beg for an appointment they were so backed up. 

My hairdresser taught me how to cut bangs.  Instead of snipping across, I pinch all the bangs  together at the bottom with my thumb and forefinger and snip off the ends.  That way it allows the end bangs on both sides to be slightly longer than the middle.   

LOL...yeah.  The substitute hair dresser I had yesterday, (who was very good BTW!!) said she is seeing a lot of "Covid" hair cuts coming in...and hair dyed (fried 😉 )...from a box.  

She did a great job, and was able to fit me in her busy schedule.  Hair now looking better for our transfer today!  🙂 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The kids asked for seafood pasta, and DH was more than happy to oblige....

Sea food.jpg

Sea food1.jpg

He added a cold cucumber soup, which was received "coldly" [I thought it was excellent].

Cucumber soup.jpg

My chocolate soufle was a hit 😉

soufle.jpg

OMG, that looks amazing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1