Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

Basic Info on cash refund received summarized below:

Cruise: Oceania Marina on April 4th, Buenos Aires to Lisbon

Booking: Directly with Oceania 

Account: Had been paid in full but had no "optional" charges such as shore excursions etc.

Cruise was cancelled by Oceania: not sure of exact date but approx. March 15th

Oceania Offer at the time: Cash refund (up to 90 days wait) or 125% FCC

Refund Request: Requested full cash refund on March 17th (was told it could take up to 90 days)

Full cash refund received in credit card account: May 22 (three separate credits: initial deposit amount, initial payment and final payment)

Hope that helps.....looks like they are following through on their promises ... just working through a time consuming and high volume process while trying to survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cssreggie said:

Account: Had been paid in full but had no "optional" charges such as shore excursions etc.

Refund Request: Requested full cash refund on March 17th (was told it could take up to 90 days)

Full cash refund received in credit card account: May 22 (three separate credits: initial deposit amount, initial payment and final payment)

Hope that helps.....looks like they are following through on their promises ... just working through a time consuming and high volume process while trying to survive

7 minutes ago, cssreggie said:

Hope that helps.....looks like they are following through on their promises ... just working through a time consuming and high volume process while trying to survive.

Good to know.  Thanks.  Hope our refund shows up soon.  

Excellent news.
When did you cancel? There is hope for all of us - sooner or later [emoji846]

We replied to cancel on March 16. I forget which day they cancelled. A few days earlier. I made daughter and sil wait until they cancelled. Given the situation at the time I was sure they would.

DD had paid by wire transfer not sure why she didn’t use cc. She’d Forgotten that she didn’t have cc coverage. Received wire in her acct before we got on cc.

We were very disappointed we couldn’t cruise together as they live overseas. Planning for Christmas in Canada instead. 🤞. Cases are up in Ontario so far from a sure thing.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2 hours ago, potterhill said:

We replied to cancel on March 16. I forget which day they cancelled. A few days earlier. I made daughter and sil wait until they cancelled. Given the situation at the time I was sure they would.

DD had paid by wire transfer not sure why she didn’t use cc. She’d Forgotten that she didn’t have cc coverage. Received wire in her acct before we got on cc.

We were very disappointed we couldn’t cruise together as they live overseas. Planning for Christmas in Canada instead. 🤞. Cases are up in Ontario so far from a sure thing.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Mo.

Very happy to hear of the folks who got full refunds.  O cancelled our Mar. 31 cruise on Mar.15 and we still don't have it.  We were told 90 days, but received 2 refunds to credit card in a couple of weeks.  That was great, but they still owe us $1022.38.  We are willing to wait, but it's 69 days and others have posted of full refunds with cruises after ours.    We asked for refund Mar.16 and had paid down payment and final payment on same credit card.  No air, or optional charges etc.  Doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to refunds.

• Thanks 1

Zesty-seems we too are in the same predicament. Some refund in hand, but not 100%. I have been following the roll call periodically to see if anything new has been posted in particular to our TA to Rome. Nothing new to report, but my calendar is marked for June when the 90 days expire. Fingers crossed, but patience is a virtue I only wish I had.

Right there with you on the patience virtue(not about cruise, but in general).  It actually makes me feel better knowing you had same experience on same cruise.  Weird that people with Apr. cruises have refunds.  Hope you get something soon.

Cruise date April 29,2020  booked through TA.  Oceania cancelled March 31, 2020 and I requested refund through TA on that date.  2 couples traveling with us just got their full refund on their AMEX card.  I have not received mine, but am hopeful it will be soon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:47 PM, retafcruiser said:

Oceania cancelled and aborted my cruise on Riviera 11 March. They offered either a 150% cruise credit or 100% refund. Well, no refund nor even any correspondence to get this refunded. I have sent inquiries via the web site. In most cases I get a computer generated response that "we will make every effort to respond in a timely manner." Then nothing further. I plan to get my credit card company involved next week.

For us, it's the ATW 2020 deposit and then some additional payments toward it.  I just got the "received cancellation" and then nothing further except the 90 days statement at the time I canceled on March 14.  I am pretty sure what has been paid exceeds the CC charge back limits so that is upsetting in the extreme, and I won't call the CC company yet because if you ask about it they just start it (I know because this happened with AMEX once before when all I wanted to do was ask about the process).  I am so sorry now we booked the second it opened up for booking which was over a year ago.  Never again will I let someone hold onto money this long, even if I miss what I want to do it isn't worth the risk.   

• Like 4

On March 6 Oceania cancelled our transatlantic cruise. We had our TA inform Oceania that we wanted a full refund

to our CC. Today, May 26, Oceania credited our CC with a refund BUT not the full amount, short 1,136.20. Our TA 

contacted Oceania, after a long wait on the phone, and was given no explanation, but they will issue another refund for the 

missing amount AND told it might take a while. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ever been to sea said:

On March 6 Oceania cancelled our transatlantic cruise. We had our TA inform Oceania that we wanted a full refund

to our CC. Today, May 26, Oceania credited our CC with a refund BUT not the full amount, short 1,136.20. Our TA 

contacted Oceania, after a long wait on the phone, and was given no explanation, but they will issue another refund for the 

missing amount AND told it might take a while. 

Is the  missing part taxes and port fees or maybe excursions?

If so, that may be handled by a different dept? Was everything charged to the same card?

15 minutes ago, ever been to sea said:

No excursions were booked. We paid the full invoiced cruise amount on the CC. As stated they gave no reason for the withholding of funds, but agreed a further refund was required.

What percentage of your total payment is missin? Someone may have made an error and refunded only the commissionable fareborvthe fare minus the TA commission (which would be an error.

READ the T&Cs. If O cancels before you do, it is 100% of the "cruise fare paid" (i.e., how much your CC was charged directly by Oceania Cruises).

1 hour ago, ever been to sea said:

No excursions were booked. We paid the full invoiced cruise amount on the CC. As stated they gave no reason for the withholding of funds, but agreed a further refund was required.

different  depts  handle the refund for different portions of the fare

sounds like  an odd amount  so maybe port fees/taxes

As posted above  several people noted they got refund in 2-3 different payments to  their CC

39 minutes ago, ever been to sea said:

TA's only get commission when the cruise departs. Oceania made an error and acknowledged it.   

However, the TA's version of the invoice (from day 1) does disaggregate the cost fare components including the taxes and commission. It would be relatively simple for someone to look at the TA invoice and make the wrong calculation.

Today we received a full refund of the deposit for our 24 September 2020 cruise which we cancelled on 21 April. Hoorah! 

However for  the deposit and final balance for our May cruise cancelled in March paid in two different cards there is no sign of! Couldn’t possibly be because its a lot bigger amount could it? Or am I just a cynic! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jo-b said:

Today we received a full refund of the deposit for our 24 September 2020 cruise which we cancelled on 21 April. Hoorah! 

Congrats!

Just goes to show you - not sure what metric they are using.

I cancelled several deposits for this Fall on 4/15 (before you) and no refunds yet.

Ditto for fully paid May cruise cancelled 4/10.

• Thanks 1

Had our March 11 cruise cancelled four days into the cruise (ordered to return to Miami) and we haven't heard one word about our refund.  Have had our TA calling and emailing every so often, and he hasn't heard anything other than "we're overwhelmed".  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Congrats!

Just goes to show you - not sure what metric they are using.

I cancelled several deposits for this Fall on 4/15 (before you) and no refunds yet.

Ditto for fully paid May cruise cancelled 4/10.

NOTE: PLEASE DISREGARD THE CROSS OUT OF SOME TEXT BELOW. I USE THE MOBILE CC AND IT GLITCHED MY POST AND I'M NOT GOING TO RETYPE IT.

Sorry that your wait defies explanation. 

There's so many potential factors in the equation from how many pieces of the refund puzzle exist (e.g., WHO CANCELLED THE CRUISE, deposit, final pay amount and status, credit card used, excursions [and other pre-pays], air, land arrangements, FCC used and/or awarded, etc.) to which staff member is[are] dealing with which component AND whether a TA was involved who may have directly charged your card and who has their own T&Cs (appears to be not uncommon outside of the USA).

Then add to any refund delays the added pile of refund paperwork confronting O's reduced staff (many working from home) every time the cruise ban is extended. 

I'm not saying that folks still waiting shouldn't be concerned, pissed off, etc. Rather I'm just reminding us all that this whole Covid mess has had many unprecedented consequences. And FWIW, I trust that Oceania will fulfill its T&Cs responsibilities.

That said, one of the frustrations  of this particular CC thread has been folks looking for answers or opinions or whatever, who don't provide complete and/or accurate details of their situation. This has been particularly true when directly paid TAs are involved (and thus MAY be the cause of the hold up) and the CC inquiry doesn't mention it (or other key details - accurately or otherwise).

We were very fortunate that our two initial refund cases for this year were settled quickly in March. However, we have a final pay due in early June (for a November cruise) that has a mix of dollars and multiple FCCs involved. I don't want to think about that possible refund scenario if the cruise gets cancelled. 👀

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

That terribly disappointing kitty9.

i just cannot understand why refunds have not been dealt with on a chronological sailing order.  This would be fair and transparent.  
A weekly update as to which sailing are being addressed posted on both their website and updated to TA’s would help reduce inbound query’s and maximising outbound productivity.

Regards

• Like 1