Oceania Refunds - Has anyone actually received any cash yet?

Pster55

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As much as I want to agree with you, reality has set in. As much as the future is uncertain for passengers, so is it for Oceania.

O recently moved Regatta to the Port of Oakland (along with one NCLH Regent and one NCL ship - in part to position them for future uncertain Pacific departures.

O has no crystal ball about when they will be allowed to cruise and which ports will take them.

If all goes in an ideal direction for cruise lines and cruisers, wouldn't those cruise lines want full ships sailing? No way to do that without having taken the deposits?and final pays -even with an uncertain future. 

FF - Completely agree!  In considering all of this, I would certainly be in "no rush" to board the 1st "resumed cruise", and neither the 2nd, or even the 3rd one!  I would leave that experience to other "brave and hearty souls".

Perhaps after things get going again (and most importantly, "in a completely successful and stress-free manner"), for about 6-8 months, and once protocols and daily operations stabilize, I might consider cruising again.  But just as I would not ever consider going on a "maiden voyage" - these first few cruises after resumption - will also seem like "maiden voyages", and maybe not even as enjoyable!  I think eventually/finally having a proven vaccine available to the masses is really going to be necessary in order to bring "normalcy" and a feeling of "safety" back to the whole cruising experience.  Before then, it will all seem like an "experiment in caution" and I'll prefer to leave that to others.

Our next (currently booked) cruise will be in December 2021.  Best Regards.  

19 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

FF - Completely agree!  In considering all of this, I would certainly be in "no rush" to board the 1st "resumed cruise", and neither the 2nd, or even the 3rd one!  I would leave that experience to other "brave and hearty souls".

I question the "brave and hearty" part 🙂 

20 hours ago, Nell99 said:

I have come here often for information regarding status of refund.  So, thought i should reciprocate:  

We paid in full with AmEx back in Oct or Nov for TA cruise on Riviera leaving Miami on March 31, 2020.  The fare also included 4 days in Rome arranged by Oceania (including hotel and airfare).  Prior to cruise date, but before Oceania cancelled, we knew we were not going because of virus.  We waited for Oceania to cancel.so that we could choose full refund over credit for another trip.  On April  3, our deposit and another unidentifiable amount (probably port fees) were credited to our AM Ex card.  Am Ex sent us a check for the credited amount.  On May 8th the remaining, full amount that was charged for the cruise showed up as a credit on AM EX.  We have, again, requested a check in the amount of the credit, which will be sent out this week.  So approximately 5-6 weeks from cancellation.  For those concerned about bankruptcy, Oceania or its parent company recently received a substantial infusion of money.  So it should just be a matter of when not if regarding refunds.  

Thanks so much for the update!  O cancelled my April 29th cruise on March 31st and I requested a refund the same day.  Still waiting.  Hopefully I'm next to get a refund!

Yes Benita, UK.

interestingly, just 5 mins ago I received an email from “O” advertising “The ultimate sale”.  The cruises on offer commences from the 3 July 2020 through to September, unbelievable.

Pushing and seeking final payment for sailings that they know will not be taking  place makes them morally bankrupt.  This is in stark contrast to their wonderful kind and gracious Officers and crew for whom I have such high regard.

Regards

14 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Thanks so much for the update!  O cancelled my April 29th cruise on March 31st and I requested a refund the same day.  Still waiting.  Hopefully I'm next to get a refund!

Seeing how Nell99 had a preliminary amount of money in 4 days it appears they are operating differently now. I'm at 30 days waiting for a deposit refund for a 2021 cruise. You're at 42 or so waiting on one from a cancelled cruise. That's only halfway to 90. It would be great if they got refunds out quicker. I think it would help their image. Cruise lines could use that. 

1 hour ago, Pster55 said:

Quite serious.....I haven't received any refunds from Oceania yet - there's your damages. Did I say I was going to initiate a class action suit right now? Of course I didn't. Might they happen? You betcha. (BTW, many courts don't view requirements to waive one's rights very favorably.) This is a contractual issue....as of now, Oceania is in violation of the contract between the two of us. I'm not, they are. 

You may want to read your Oceania T&Cs, particularly the part where you waive your right to participate in a class action suit.

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You may want to read your Oceania T&Cs, particularly the part where you waive your right to participate in a class action suit.

Anything can be litigated. Many courts have held waiving your rights to participate in a class action as illegal. What matters is money.....Oceania has our money and they owe us. They did not provide any goods or services for the money paid to them. We are unsecured creditors of the cruise line. NCL getting the $2B in new equity and financing does NOT mean they are going to use it to pay existing unsecured creditors (return of cruise deposits). Should they do so to preserve customer good will? Of course. But until anyone sees the loan agreement you have no idea what the exact terms of the new money are. As a distressed loan professioinal for 34 years I can tell you that if you think the new money lenders are going to let NCL and its subs use this money to pay back unsecured cruise deposits rather than fund corporate sustaining activities you are naive.

Edited by Pster55
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

Anything can be litigated. Many courts have held waiving your rights to participate in a class action as illegal. What matters is money.....Oceania has our money and they owe us. They did not provide any goods or services for the money paid to them. We are unsecured creditors of the cruise line. NCL getting the $2B in new equity and financing does NOT mean they are going to use it to pay existing unsecured creditors (return of cruise deposits). Should they do so to preserve customer good will? Of course. But until anyone sees the loan agreement you have no idea what the exact terms of the new money are. 

Hi, in my T&C's (booked directly with Oceania-USA), chapter ii states :

ii) Arrangements without flights
If you book arrangements that don't include flights, your arrangements will be protected by way of a bond provided by ABTA. This means that, if in the unlikely event of our insolvency, your cruise can't be provided, you will receive your money back or, if your cruise has started, arrangements will be made for you to be able to continue as planned.

Does anyone know the level of protection of so-called ABTA ? I am not familiar with US rules.
My personal situation is that I refused their major itinerary change and asked for a refund, and they instead put a FCC of 100%, which is not in accordance with chapter 11 of T&C's. Two weeks later they cancelled the cruise, as it was in April.

My adviser who speaks French, which is more comfortable for me, is on leave, and calling his colleague brings nothing, he does not provide any written answer. On leave, after two weeks, sounds very bad...

On 5/9/2020 at 1:05 PM, Pster55 said:

I doubt I will ever cruise again after this experience.....but if I do, the industry is going to have to change the way it accounts for pre-payments/deposits. There must be third party escrow management.....that is a dead solid certainty. The risk of conversion - using one's deposit to pay other current expenses - MUST be eliminated. That is a minimum requirement for me to cruise. 

Very good post.  Agree 100%    No reason we should have to wait 90 days and worry if they will be around then. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

Very good post.  Agree 100%    No reason we should have to wait 90 days and worry if they will be around then. 

I am afraid the industry will simply tell you to buy travel insurance. $1400 for my wife and I - 12% of our total cruise fare. It was even more expensive if we had purchased it through Oceania. It's probably the most expensive type of insurance you can buy...and the premiums will undoubtedly be climbing after this pandemic. I hate to sound pessimistic, but I was a Risk Manager....I didn't get paid to worry about the things that go right!

12 minutes ago, Francis06 said:

Hi, in my T&C's (booked directly with Oceania-USA), chapter ii states :

ii) Arrangements without flights
If you book arrangements that don't include flights, your arrangements will be protected by way of a bond provided by ABTA. This means that, if in the unlikely event of our insolvency, your cruise can't be provided, you will receive your money back or, if your cruise has started, arrangements will be made for you to be able to continue as planned.

Does anyone know the level of protection of so-called ABTA ? I am not familiar with US rules.

You do not say what Country you are in but sounds like you booked via the UK

ABTA is for UK  bookings 

https://www.abta.com/

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You do not say what Country you are in but sounds like you booked via the UK

ABTA is for UK  bookings 

https://www.abta.com/

I leave in France, the adviser on the phone was from USA, but maybe for European customers and/or Cruises in Europe or Payment in Euros, they book through European (UK) rules.

It's been interesting reading of the experiences of some posters here who are waiting for refunds of a final payment for possibly up to 90 days.  I'm not waiting for a refund but if I did have to wait that long and not get any clear answers as to when I might expect it, I would be upset too.  I feel bad for people who are having to go through this.  I understand that O is not violating any terms but this certainly does not speak well of their customer relations.  Who knows what is going on at O behind the scenes but they are clearly having some serious cash flow problems.  

Their website shows that they are accepting reservations for cruises starting in early August 2020 on all of their ships.  I do not know how they can do that because didn't NCLH make a statement the other day about not resuming service until late 3rd quarter and then it would only be one O ship?  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Francis06 said:

I leave in France, the adviser on the phone was from USA, but maybe for European customers and/or Cruises in Europe or Payment in Euros, they book through European (UK) rules.

Or maybe in the UK office ?

Your T & C's sound like those in the UK

North American  T & C  do not have the same protections

3 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Their website shows that they are accepting reservations for cruises starting in early August 2020 on all of their ships.  I do not know how they can do that because didn't NCLH make a statement the other day about not resuming service until late 3rd quarter and then it would only be one O ship?  

I have asked a few times  & no  one has answered yet  if any was able to book one of these cruises in the summer months   since the lockdown

HD did say he booked a July cruise online (probably testing them)  but was told a day or so later  the cruise was a no go & refunded 

For us even getting stuff from some stores  takes longer  & then it is curbside pick up   we waited 3 days  for the email to come  that the order was ready

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pster55 said:

It will? Really? You have inside info on that?

Public knowledge (Google is your friend). The US Federal Maritime Commission require cruiselines to have enough cash on hand to make all required refunds.

Not making the refunds promised in the T&Cs would jeopardize their ability to cruise from/to the US in the future - a far greater concern than your "rounding error" fare.

And FWIW, many posters here (including me) have already received what was due as refunds (two cruises for us).

Please remember that we're talking about a reduced workforce (most working from home) handling in excess of 30,000 financial adjustments.

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Seeing how Nell99 had a preliminary amount of money in 4 days it appears they are operating differently now. I'm at 30 days waiting for a deposit refund for a 2021 cruise. You're at 42 or so waiting on one from a cancelled cruise. That's only halfway to 90. It would be great if they got refunds out quicker. I think it would help their image. Cruise lines could use that. 

Just to add another data point, we are on day 58 waiting for our refund to be completed for a canceled cruise. We did receive 2 credits a while back but are still owed about $725. Our TA says Oceania has acknowledged that they still owe us the money.

I don't know who is putting all this stuff on here maybe T A s or NCL staff -The passenger contract is clear 14 days refund upon their cancelation of your holiday.

If you go for the Future cruise credit all is fine - you wont get any thing extra because if you look at the comparable cruise and room next year the pricing will have gone up enough to take your future credit.

If you dare to want your money back well whatever your contract says with them or your travel agent its not going to happen within the 14 days stated and NCL is going to benefit from your money for a good long while.

Oceania was a very different company before the hookup with NCL and I wont be booking again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tedcatuk said:

I don't know who is putting all this stuff on here maybe T A s or NCL staff -The passenger contract is clear 14 days refund upon their cancelation of your holiday.

If you go for the Future cruise credit all is fine - you wont get any thing extra because if you look at the comparable cruise and room next year the pricing will have gone up enough to take your future credit.

If you dare to want your money back well whatever your contract says with them or your travel agent its not going to happen within the 14 days stated and NCL is going to benefit from your money for a good long while.

Oceania was a very different company before the hookup with NCL and I wont be booking again.

So are you talking UK rules?

9 minutes ago, clo said:

So are you talking UK rules?

I am- the law in Europe is clear- refund within 14 days of suppliers cancelation and it is the same with the passenger contract .

Problem is enforcing it . This situation is causing a lot of anger here with cruise agents trying to give cruise credit notes and delays from cruise lines in paying up.

6 minutes ago, tedcatuk said:

I am- the law in Europe is clear- refund within 14 days of suppliers cancelation and it is the same with the passenger contract .

Problem is enforcing it . This situation is causing a lot of anger here with cruise agents trying to give cruise credit notes and delays from cruise lines in paying up.

You wrote "I don't know who is putting all this stuff on here " and I see that few responding here are from Europe. I'm not one bit knowledgeable on this subject but have the solid impression that the rules are WAY different.

30 minutes ago, tedcatuk said:

You may want to check Oceania's prices for 2021 and 2022 (as well as for what 2020 itineraries may still have a chance of happening). The price drops are not exactly "chump change."

I've been able to get repricing on all three of my currently booked future cruises. For our two 30+ day cruises, it's meant savings of thousands of dollars on each one. 

We were also "fortunate" to get refunds AND FCCs for our recent modified February and "current" (O cancelled) May cruises. Using these FCCs for our next cruise (hopefully this November), on top of the huge price reduction, will lower our final payment (on a 30 day cruise) to only a couple of thousand dollars.

And, yes, if November doesn't happen, our FCCs will be redeposited and extended.

As for the refund rules: with that "14 day" mention, it sounds like you're in the U.K. and using a TA(?). The Oceania T&Cs (at least in the US) make no mention of a deadline for refunds from Oceania. And, if you bought/paid for your "holiday" by having your credit card charged by that TA (instead of charged by Oceania), your argument is with the TA who THEORETICALLY should have the cash reserves or insurance or whatever to comply with that 14 day stuff. 

At the bottom line, it sounds like your gripe is with the TA and the TA's gripe may be with Oceania. BTW, have you filed a CC dispute against whoever's business name appears for the charge on you CC statement?