Would you book a future cruise if $25 deposits were announced?

LiveToCruise99

Many of us remain isolated, feel disappointment in canceled cruises and worry about ever cruising again.  I'm in that boat (ship??) too and wanted to throw something out there.  Presently when I see the ads I dream about a future cruise and I'd love to book one or two or more but don't want to lay out $960 CAD (or similar) for each cruise deposit.  IF the deposit was only $25 I'd book a few for down the road when the world gets back to normal.  I know the cost is still the same overall but it is the layout of a deposit I may or may not get back.  At least I could dream, and research, and dream.  It's a nice diversion from the current world.  Opinions?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LiveToCruise99 said:

Many of us remain isolated, feel disappointment in canceled cruises and worry about ever cruising again.  I'm in that boat (ship??) too and wanted to throw something out there.  Presently when I see the ads I dream about a future cruise and I'd love to book one or two or more but don't want to lay out $960 CAD (or similar) for each cruise deposit.  IF the deposit was only $25 I'd book a few for down the road when the world gets back to normal.  I know the cost is still the same overall but it is the layout of a deposit I may or may not get back.  At least I could dream, and research, and dream.  It's a nice diversion from the current world.  Opinions?

The $25 deposit wouldn’t encourage me to book.   If I see a cruise in the future that I want to book the deposit wouldn’t stop me.  On the other hand because of people booking placeholder or maybe we will cruises and cancelling they started non-refundable deposits.

• Like 1

For 2021 or 2022 sure.  The problem for the cruiseline would be until 90 days out (final payment) they would have no idea how many would cruise.  A $25 deposit would create terrible cash flow too.

• Like 1

That would be a terrible decision from a cash flow perspective. I would expect that deposits and refunds become even more rigid in the future. Cash deposits are a big risk with the debt model these cruise lines are operating under.  

We have one cruise booked for February 2021 and will wait until fall to make a decision on it (assuming the decision is up to us). Even with a $25 deposit I would not have any incentive to book anything in the future. 

It doesn't matter how low the your special "deposit" is if you must cancel a cruise. I just did so with a $100 per person deposit, but was charged back the entire "required" $250 pp. One hundred per person is held as penalty and the remaining $150 is FCC. Of course, as like so many on these boards, we may never be able to use the FCC as we are older. 

1 hour ago, LiveToCruise99 said:

What's down the road? What year? 

2 hours ago, LiveToCruise99 said:

Perhaps for Summer of 2021

No

2 hours ago, yorky said:

Not for me, I will only book another cruise when this is all over. The amount of deposit would make no difference.

Not me either. If all is good and I am vaccinated I'm happy to pay for the entire cruise upfront.  I'm used to taking 4 trips per year and cant forsee even 1 at the moment.

7 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Not me either. If all is good and I am vaccinated I'm happy to pay for the entire cruise upfront.  I'm used to taking 4 trips per year and cant forsee even 1 at the moment.

I feel we may have a difficult decision to make next February. I think the cruise to Asia could go ahead, but don’t expect a vaccine to be rolled out by then. So do we go without being vaccinated ? Tough call given it could return next winter and we will have a final payment to make along with flights and hotels to book.

Holding a cruise (that you can afford) for a small amount does not seem extravagent.

Counting on a vaccine for this particular virus before travelling is a bit risky.  If a vaccine is that important, what happens when you face the next virus?  They do seem to be coming every couple of years. A vaccine will not stop the ship from being quarantined because others are not vacinated.

everyone has their own risk tolerances..

Edited by happy cruzer

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I won't book at any price unless the restrictions are removed.

I'm with you.  The deposit amount is not an issue for me.  The issue is:  Will Celebrity allow me to board the ship?

This is all very sad.  I LOVE cruising.  I had 60 nights booked this year.

• Like 2

I have a TP scheduled for 9-10-2020 on Millie, and I've made a second reservation on Oceania for 12-3-2020 to the Caribbean.  Don't know if either will take place, but I'm ready to pack when I get the go-ahead from the two lines.  If they are also cancelled, I'll move my window out further into 2021 and go from there.  Eternal optimist with reservations!