Who's your favorite crew member(s)?

Dori Saltzman

Do you have a favorite Holland America crew member? Someone you'd want to hear from or send a message of hope to? Do you have a favorite crew member memory you'd like to share? We'd love to hear your stories!

• Thanks 1

How about two, Ramil and Mark. Both are bartenders, Ramil is currently on Oosterdam and Mark is on Nieuw Statendam. Both are well at this time.

Also numerous others, as the service on HAL is always top notch!

• Like 5

There have been some from every cruise, but on our Feb. trip on Oosterdam we ate most meals at the Lido and got to know a few of the young ladies who worked so hard for our enjoyment. Noelle at the pasta station, Suzette who always served desserts with a pleasant greeting, and Miss Rita, who took care of us in her section and who never seemed to work the smile off of her face. And our stewards, Ronald, whom we've emailed a couple of times in the last month and who says they are safe, healthy and still adjusting to the quiet on board, and Idi who was looking forward to going home and meeting his first son who was born after he left to begin his contract. We remember them fondly and wish the best for them all.

Noelle.thumb.jpg.7be89f96e47cc993002631d37a521202.jpg

Suzette.thumb.jpg.9c30868958541a4ec8f2837ae86cc104.jpg

Rita.thumb.jpg.5928feb813141556373575cb615014f2.jpg

1704976489_RI.thumb.jpg.78125822763419dba51e100c46664d25.jpg

Lori & George

• Like 2

My favorite 2 are:

Hunky Dory now known as Imam. He was our Lido Tray manager on our very first cruise May 2008 on the Oosterdam. Once he knew your name he remembered you forever. Last time we cruised with him was aboard Zuiderdam September 2011 where he was making his way the HAL ladder as a 3rd MDR manager.

Walter aka Wally My "1st Son" on the Zuiderdam (I think 2015 or 16). He is/was one of the Lido Aft Bar waiters who adopted me as his "Mommy". As I said, he was/is My 1st son. Over the next 3 weeks I became Mommy to all the Bar Staff and Grandma to dozens:)

I miss being able to cruise. Lord to be on a HAL ship when this crap  is over.

Joanie

• Like 4

Captain Steve Macbeath of the Veendam is our favorite. We had the pleasure of sailing with him in February and would have had another opportunity on our now cancelled April Veendam cruise. On 56 cruises we have never seen a Captain around all the time as did Captain Macbeath. He ate with different passengers at breakfasts, always stopped to talk to passengers, and was always friendly. We spoke with him at the Mariner's Luncheon as he went around to every table and he was gracious and funny.

Of course there are many more HAL crew members who have always been kind, helpful and friendly. We wish them the best during this unprecedented time. We hope our Dec. cruise on the Veendam, when she is at Tampa for the winter season, isn't cancelled due to Covid-19. It seems like a long time off, but the pandemic is far from over.

Keep social distancing and be safe everyone!

• Like 1

Jerry  the bartender in the Crows next on the Eurodam.  Loved his sailing stories!  Always seemed happy to see you..   we had some good laughs!!   Hi Jerry!!   He made the best gin & tonics!!  I would tease him about running out of limes sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii.   Hi Jerry!!

• Like 1

When we were on the Koningsdam in January, I absolutely loved  the fellow who made the Eggs Benedict for me every morning. I could never get a glimpse of his nametag, but he was jovial and having a wonderful time every time I went by. He always waved and called me by name, and prepared my Eggs Benedicts beautifully every time. He brought a joy to every morning!

• Like 1

We always felt at home on the Amsterdam when Presty was managing the dining room, Jonathon Mercer was the Captain and Gene Young was the Cruise Director.  Looks like only Presty will be there in the future.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, Dori Saltzman said:

Do you have a favorite Holland America crew member? Someone you'd want to hear from or send a message of hope to? Do you have a favorite crew member memory you'd like to share? We'd love to hear your stories!

Right NOW, Captain Ane Smit is A Fave.

He brought Zaandam, safely back to port with crew and pax

JOB well   done and such  very fine, nice gentleman in the 'bargain

NOt to be 'biased'   Rotterdam's  Captain gets  points as well. 🙂

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

We had a lovely waitress called Magdalena in the Lido in June on the Rotterdam. We would deliberately sit in her section every morning. She was so bubbly and full of energy and very kind to those in our party who needed extra help.

On our Koningsdam cruise a few weeks back, my husband and I were sitting at breakfast talking about her. I walked up to get a Bagel and guess who I found? Magdalena! We were really thrilled to find her again.

In the evenings, she worked in Canaletto. Seeing this, we popped our head in to say hello, except that there were two Magdalenas!!! Well OK, not two Magdalena’s but Magdalena and her twin, Herlina. It was their first time working on a ship together and they were thrilled.

Magdalena and Herlina would always make a point of greeting us warmly whenever they saw us. Herlina convinced us to book a meal at Canaletto, where we were treated like royalty! Two delightful young women who are a tribute to the company. I would gladly sail on any ship they are on!

Also on our last cruise, we loved Aubrey at the poached eggs in the Lido. Despite the language barrier with my husband, who is French, they struck up a great rapport and she had him trying all kinds of different combinations as the days went by.

Just three from so many. Really, there are very few bad elements of these ships, the service really is outstanding.

Oh to be able to book our next cruise...

5 minutes ago, Belgian fry said:

We had a lovely waitress called Magdalena in the Lido in June on the Rotterdam. We would deliberately sit in her section every morning. She was so bubbly and full of energy and very kind to those in our party who needed extra help.

On our Koningsdam cruise a few weeks back, my husband and I were sitting at breakfast talking about her. I walked up to get a Bagel and guess who I found? Magdalena! We were really thrilled to find her again.

In the evenings, she worked in Canaletto. Seeing this, we popped our head in to say hello, except that there were two Magdalenas!!! Well OK, not two Magdalena’s but Magdalena and her twin, Herlina. It was their first time working on a ship together and they were thrilled.

Magdalena and Herlina would always make a point of greeting us warmly whenever they saw us. Herlina convinced us to book a meal at Canaletto, where we were treated like royalty! Two delightful young women who are a tribute to the company. I would gladly sail on any ship they are on!

I second the nomination of Magdalena and Helena (sp?), the extra bubbly twins on Holland America ships.  We met up with Magdalena on the Rotterdam a year ago.  We had seen her sister Helena on the Prinsendam several times.  They share the same great personalities.  I hope they are both well and taking good care of their health.  Hopefully we will see them again on a Holland America ship!

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I second the nomination of Magdalena and Helena (sp?), the extra bubbly twins on Holland America ships.  We met up with Magdalena on the Rotterdam a year ago.  We had seen her sister Helena on the Prinsendam several times.  They share the same great personalities.  I hope they are both well and taking good care of their health.  Hopefully we will see them again on a Holland America ship!

They are scheduled to be on Veendam together from October. Clearly HAL agrees that them working together is a good idea

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Our favorite crew was from many years ago -- Dolly -- he worked in the dining room.  We used to e-mail and send letters.   Had him as our waiter on several ships.  Sadly he is gone.

Oh My what happened to Dolly? Did he retire? We met him on Zaandam several times and the last time we met was on Veendam on the spring crossing in 2019. One of our favourite HAL employees.

Riris from Indonesia, waiter.  If you've ever met him, you will never forget him!  When we board we ask the maitre 'd if Riris is on board and then beg to be in his area at second seating.  He was always on the Prinsendam but no idea where he is now.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, IRL_Joanie said:

Hunky Dory now known as Imam. He was our Lido Tray manager on our very first cruise May 2008 on the Oosterdam. Once he knew your name he remembered you forever.

Joanie

I loved him in MDR on a few cruises on Statendam V!  You're right about him remembering your name forever!!!

21 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We always felt at home on the Amsterdam when Presty was managing the dining room, Jonathon Mercer was the Captain and Gene Young was the Cruise Director.  Looks like only Presty will be there in the future.

Loved all three of them!  Hope to see Presty again.

And will really miss Captain John Scott, recently retired.

Edited by Av8rix

3 hours ago, Belgian fry said:

I worked with those two young ladies on Zuiderdam. Yes, always smiling and always friendly and outgoing! An asset to HAL

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

• Like 3