Curve beginning to flatten ,good news for the cruise industry

seaman11

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

We all gonna die...

Did cruising shut down during the swine flu outbreak?  How many did that kill? 

In the U.S., the CDC estimates there were 60.8 million cases of swine flu, with over 274,000 hospitalizations and nearly 12,500 deaths — that's a mortality rate of about 0.02%. 

Despite all the stay-at-home orders and social distancing efforts, today we will surpass the 12,500 swine flu deaths.  

16 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

You still have to get the state of Florida to lift the 14 day quarantine for pax entering the state. Can Fla. residents only fill a ship or make it a profitable sailing.

Your optimism if fine, but there are many moving parts that have to align. I bet this isn't something as a sailor you've even seen before.

that would be lifted im sure sometime in early may since the cruve is starting to flatten, i live in va and that is not one of the states required for 14 day quarantine. 

Just now, seaman11 said:

that would be lifted im sure sometime in early may since the cruve is starting to flatten, i live in va and that is not one of the states required for 14 day quarantine. 

Fla has the quarantine and that is the hub of cruise lines.

Did you not see my post about what our Dr. ( Head of Ohio Health Dept.) said.

That is living in the present and not how it was way back when.

Keep Your optimism , we will rehash this whole thing mid May! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

And then again in June, July, August etc.... Lol

It's fine to be optimistic, hopeful/wishful. That's not the reality of the situation at hand.

The cruise lines aren't going to be able to just fire up and go with a weeks notice.

There will be policy changes , that most likely they are trying to figure out, the CDC and Coast Guard will have a say.

I need a vacation as many do, but it will be October before I even consider it.And it will be land based not cruising.

I won't even consider that until 2021.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Fla has the quarantine and that is the hub of cruise lines.

Did you not see my post about what our Dr. ( Head of Ohio Health Dept.) said.

That is living in the present and not how it was way back when.

Keep Your optimism , we will rehash this whole thing mid May! 

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/326936-key-covid-19-model-now-forecasting-earlier-peak-in-florida

IHME-Proections-04062020.jpg

17 hours ago, seaman11 said:

https://www.newsweek.com/new-jersey-beginning-flatten-curve-coronavirus-cases-governor-says-1496426

https://www.wric.com/health/coronavirus/virginias-peak-coronavirus-outbreak-prediction-moved-from-may-to-april/

NJ already showing signs of flattening out and VA has moved up a may date to sometime in april. 

This is a good sign , for those pessimistic about the future. 

I am optimistic about the future.  Life is good, whether or not I am cruising.  However, we probably won't travel overseas until next Summer.  

• Like 1

On another note, I think when the curve is flatter and our Medical and Hospital heroes have something of a break, there are likely some loosening of the restrictions.

I would expect the loosening some time in May.  It will likely allow more businesses to open, but restaurants will still either be limited to takeout or some type of separation for customers.   Schools will likely return to opening in the Fall.  There may be required screening of employees, customers and students prior to admission to buildings.  

There will probably not be a vaccine until early next year.

Since my wife and I are in our mid to early 70s, we will likely still play is close and stay home most of the time.

• Like 2

I just posted on a different thread- one of my co-workers Princess cruise western Caribbean for July was just cancelled & their travel agent told him they heard all cruise lines were going to be cancelling thru the month of July. 

• Like 1

Just now, JoeTec said:

I just posted on a different thread- one of my co-workers Princess cruise western Caribbean for July was just cancelled & their travel agent told him they heard all cruise lines were going to be cancelling thru the month of July. 

richard-simmons-sick.gif

5 minutes ago, JoeTec said:

well princess had the most cases, i think ncl had 0 cases on board if im not mistaken. 

17 hours ago, seaman11 said:

https://www.newsweek.com/new-jersey-beginning-flatten-curve-coronavirus-cases-governor-says-1496426

https://www.wric.com/health/coronavirus/virginias-peak-coronavirus-outbreak-prediction-moved-from-may-to-april/

NJ already showing signs of flattening out and VA has moved up a may date to sometime in april. 

This is a good sign , for those pessimistic about the future. 

You are NOT allowed to be an optimist here without a whole lotta preaching', lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, seaman11 said:

that seems to be what many think, but i think they are wrong. there will be some cruises starting up in late may or june, imo. especially with the curve flattening out in april.  

You must be smoking the good stuff or living in a serious fantasy land if you think cruises are gonna start up in May or June!

• Like 3

Our Alaska cruise isn't until the end of August but still leaning towards cancelling. Final payment is this month and I'd rather have the money in my bank rather than theirs even with a FCC. I really don't see the cruising world getting back to full operation until there is a vaccine. It only takes one infected person to spread this thing and my fear is being stranded out there with no where to go. Also my DH has COPD and in his 70's so just don't think I'd want to chance it. We love cruising and will again once it's safe. Stay well fellow cruisers! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

well princess had the most cases, i think ncl had 0 cases on board if im not mistaken. 

Passengers became symptomatic on the Feb 29 sailing of Pride of America, March 1 sailing of Bliss and March 7 sailing of Breakaway.

5 hours ago, JoeTec said:

I'm in New Jersey it's no where near flattening around here no matter what the news it reporting.

I work at Home Depot & we are limiting customers to 100 at a time & the amount of people that are shopping for non essentials are ridiculous. Families are coming in with their kids, walking around the store & then buying one gallon of paint! 

Would it be better to close your store because It is non-essential and you out of a job?  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Would it be better to close your store because It is non-essential and you out of a job?  

In Ontario, all home depot and other hardware stores are no longer allowed to have customers in the store. Similar to restaurants, online or telephone your order and pick up in parking lot or delivery only.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, electro said:

In Ontario, all home depot and other hardware stores are no longer allowed to have customers in the store. Similar to restaurants, online or telephone your order and pick up in parking lot or delivery only.

You guys are late to the party Lol

3 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

You guys are late to the party Lol

How so? We've been shut down for over 3 week already. Hardware is considered an essential service, all non essential services have been closed for weeks.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Did you not understand the post?  NJ has been ordered to stay at home and only 1 person is (recommended) to venture out to get NECESSARY supplies (i.e. groceries, medicine).

Families going on SHOPPING TRIPS to purchase PAINT during this time, confirms my already belief that people are knuckleheads and self centered and they feel rules don't apply to them.  I have seen this behavior over and over again during this crisis...
Simply sad...

Closing store(s) = not necessary.  Lots of folks need their jobs and give services to TRUE essentials.

Banning knuckleheads from stores = DEFINITELY!  But who has the logistical capacity to ban knuckleheads at this time...

Be safe everyone and use common sense 🙂

Good grief...

JMO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Greenpea2 said:

You are NOT allowed to be an optimist here without a whole lotta preaching', lol. 

Not true.  I am PRAYING my kids will get through this time with online learning and EVERYONE will recover.  
I am thankful we have a home and food.  I am thankful everyday.

I am an optimist that it has to get better...
JMO 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Not true.  I am PRAYING my kids will get through this time with online learning and EVERYONE will recover.  
I am thankful we have a home and food.  I am thankful everyday.

I am an optimist that it has to get better...
JMO 🙂

Glad to hear it--as am I. Just seems like so often when someone asks an optimistic question, way too many replies are like slaps. Optimism is just generally in the nature of some, and not in others.

• Like 2