Now for something completely different

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I find Tim Tams too sweet, even for my very sweet tooth. Much prefer good old Iced VoVos.

Me to, I used to love them but suspect they got sweeter over the years. I don't know Iced VoVos?

I'm still trying to digest the news in Formula 1 that Lewis Hamilton will be moving to Ferrari next season. I'm not sure what to make of that. Of course I thought he was crazy when he left McLaren for Mercedes, that worked out pretty well for him. Wouldn't it be ironic if he surpassed Michael Schumacher in a red car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

Me to, I used to love them but suspect they got sweeter over the years. I don't know Iced VoVos?

Made by Arnotts.

Featured in recent TV commercial - bloke under car saying "I don't really care". Can't remember what it was about, insurance? Probably not screened in NZ.

Found it.

https://www.adforum.com/creative-work/ad/player/34672021/bruce-car/everyday-insurance

Edited by lyndarra
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Made by Arnotts.

Featured in recent TV commercial - bloke under car saying "I don't really care". Can't remember what it was about, insurance? Probably not screened in NZ.

That's become my favourite ad, as the guy in the ad reminded me so much of a good mate Brian who we called Bruce (same name as the ad). And our mate Bruce passed away late Nov after a battle with cancer 😪

I was telling someone about the ad & the iced vovo's and couldn't even remember that the ad was for insurance😮

I brought a pack in Bruce's honour and was disappointed to see that the biscuits seemed to have shrunk since the last time I had them some years past now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm still trying to digest the news in Formula 1 that Lewis Hamilton will be moving to Ferrari next season. I'm not sure what to make of that. Of course I thought he was crazy when he left McLaren for Mercedes, that worked out pretty well for him. Wouldn't it be ironic if he surpassed Michael Schumacher in a red car.

Good move for him.  It will be strange to see him in that stable, though.

6 hours ago, Jean C said:

I think so too Jean, but maybe we are more discerning as we age. I actually think the chocolate is nasty. I'm with Lyndon, I'd prefer an iced VoVo or even a jam fancy. 

• Like 2

I guess the bigger you get, the smaller the biscuits look. They always seemed bigger when we were kids. They have changed some things over the years, and the gingernuts are a prime example. Depending on your local Arnotts bakery, the hardness of a gingernut varied as well as the flavour. I think they now make them with a single recipe in a single bakery. The pack sizes on Tim Tams shrunk some years back, but the biccies seem to be the same.

Arnotts is another of those Aussie companies that started in Morpeth. Lemon Crisp or Shortbread Cream for me.

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

According to Arontt's they haven't changed anything 🤷‍♀️:

Enraged Aussies are slamming Arnott's Iced VoVos: 'What the hell happened?'

I read the article and what jumped out at me was their phrase "in recent years" - okay, they need to define "recent" before they convince us that we've all changed and not the biscuits 😇

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

I guess the bigger you get, the smaller the biscuits look. They always seemed bigger when we were kids. They have changed some things over the years, and the gingernuts are a prime example. Depending on your local Arnotts bakery, the hardness of a gingernut varied as well as the flavour. I think they now make them with a single recipe in a single bakery. The pack sizes on Tim Tams shrunk some years back, but the biccies seem to be the same.

Arnotts is another of those Aussie companies that started in Morpeth. Lemon Crisp or Shortbread Cream for me.

I recall a recent article in the paper re Ginger Nuts. Seems they are made in four(?) (IIRC) different factories. Their taste and hardness varies from state to state. NSW still has the hardest but IMO they are still a lot softer than they were.

1 minute ago, Bubbeh said:

Oh ditto, and there's always the good old Scotch Finger. Yummy.

Double ditto, and I simply love Chocolate Wheatens.  Richer chocolate, balanced by the slightly salty crispiness of the biscuit itself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I recall a recent article in the paper re Ginger Nuts. Seems they are made in four(?) (IIRC) different factories. Their taste and hardness varies from state to state. NSW still has the hardest but IMO they are still a lot softer than they were.

My kids cut their teeth on Ginger Nuts.  They used to sit on my knee while gumming the GNs to death and then stick the mush into my mouth.  Delicious - NOT!!!!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Double ditto, and I simply love Chocolate Wheatens.  Richer chocolate, balanced by the slightly salty crispiness of the biscuit itself.

Oh God yes and and anything salted caramel.  Oh be still my expanding waist, hips and thighs.

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

I guess the bigger you get, the smaller the biscuits look. They always seemed bigger when we were kids. They have changed some things over the years, and the gingernuts are a prime example. Depending on your local Arnotts bakery, the hardness of a gingernut varied as well as the flavour. I think they now make them with a single recipe in a single bakery.

Apparently there are different gingernut recipes for each state. The NSW ones are too hard for me. Luckily my local Coles has an NZ section with Griffins gingernuts. They are the best! 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Oh God yes and and anything salted caramel.  Oh be still my expanding waist, hips and thighs.

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Try the Arnotts Chocolate Obsessions. They actually have decent chocolate on them. Four types - dark, milk, salted caramel, mint. They are very rich. I love a dark one with an espresso.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Try the Arnotts Chocolate Obsessions. They actually have decent chocolate on them. Four types - dark, milk, salted caramel, mint. They are very rich. I love a dark one with an espresso.

Stop it! 😋

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

why does that sound like a rude gesture?

Two long, thin (fingers) of shortbread joined together.  The prelude to the tasting is snapping the fingers apart.

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Two long, thin (fingers) of shortbread joined together.  The prelude to the tasting is snapping the fingers apart.

That sounds like something we have called a "twix" bar.

• Like 1