Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cheers OzKiwiwJJ I think I should.

I suspect that the individual in question is pointing fingers because he was the guy at the martini bar scrum every night and felt COVID was a hoax like so many Americans. His solutions were certainly naive. He seems to cling to the idea that Captain Leo could just isolate the the respiratory patients and carry on as if all was well; just remind everyone that there could be sickness aboard and you should socially distance. He didn't seem to understand that wasn't an option. Once you call probable COVID 19 then the crap hits the fan and life aboard as you knew it is over.

Exactly. The ship's officers have to tread a fine line between reassurance and causing a panic. That's what a lot of people don't understand. If the Captain had announced they suspected Covid-19 onboard there would have been hoards of panicking passengers demanding to be let off the ship then and there.

23 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I hope to continue through the circumnavigation but alas I may end up getting myself punted from this site because of some blunt comments on another thread. So for all my new friends down under if I disappear from the site I got punted for calling out the OP on another thread.

Good to see the rumors of your banning did not eventuate. I had a read of the Celebrity thread, very entertaining. 😉

Stay safe.

Blackduck59 - Just in case you are able to come back to NZ another time, many think the South Island is more picturesque.

Although a small island compared to the area of the Rockies - Mt. Cook 3724m is just short of Mt. Robson BC by 230m.

Photos:-

1/ Mt. Cook 3724m

2/ Mt. Tasman 3497m

3/ Franz Josef glacier

4/ Fox glacier

5/ ss Earnslaw coal powered lake steamer built 1912.

1-Mt. Cook 3,724m NZ.jpg

2-Mt.Tasman 3497m.jpg

3 - Franz Josef Glacier.JPG

4 - Fox Glacier.JPG

5-SS Earnslaw [1912].JPG

Jeez you guys you are making us long to go back and we haven't even been there yet. The Earnslaw steam ship is so cool. I have to doff my cap to those that keep vintage ships going. We have on in Vancouver, the SS Master is a 1922 vintage steam tug but I don't think she is coal fired. We have a classic boat show in Victoria every September definitely 50/50 as to whether that happens this year.

Well retirement isn't that far off so we won't need to worry about time constraints (just money). We intend to sell our rather large house and downsize, we have a substantial amount of equity in the house so there should be "travel money" after we downsize.

From the pictures I've seen from this thread and the fabulous cruise thread clearly we need to go back to New Zealand and also Australia. We did want to do an East Coast Canada cruise but that may be a ways off (unless we can find one that stays entirely in Canada or that includes Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. I am loath to set foot in the US while the current "leader" is in power.

We did see an itinerary that did that but I think it missed some if not all of the maritime provinces.

Thanks SeaDog, that sad result has been reported here. As you know I was involved in a bit of a verbal skirmish with a disgruntled passenger from that cruise and he keeps quoting a number from a social media group of people from that cruise that "think" they had it. A certain number of them certainly did but many of them were not tested. I don't use that particular site but sometimes in any group there are those who perhaps had a cold or flu or even Pnumonia (remember this was a "round the horn" cruise and I bet a lot of people were on deck for that transit. Cold outside into warm inside could easily lead to a variety of illness. Then as talk goes on about this or that or the next gripe they have about what transpired, then more and more join in "thinking they must have had it.

Those that truly were infected have suffered a great deal, They have my sympathy and respect.

Those who lost their lives, that's tragic.

Those who continue to harp on about the Captain being "incompetent" or even "criminal" well he got them home safe without locking down the ship. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Jeez you guys you are making us long to go back and we haven't even been there yet. The Earnslaw steam ship is so cool. I have to doff my cap to those that keep vintage ships going. We have on in Vancouver, the SS Master is a 1922 vintage steam tug but I don't think she is coal fired. We have a classic boat show in Victoria every September definitely 50/50 as to whether that happens this year.

The Earnslaw is very nice ,it does a trip to a remote sheep station (farm) which is very impressive.

The old ship is alive and breathing.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, Blackduck59 said:

If you ever make it to Newcastle you may like this one. It's a replica of Australia's first ocean going steam paddle wheeler. Due to expensive problems with the replica boiler it was replaced with a diesel engine.

http://williamthefourth.com.au/

We really hope to make the scheduled trip in January/February 2021, I many ways that was the "Once in a Lifetime" trip down under. Now I have met so many nice people on this site and seen so many places that we will not see on that trip; clearly we will need to go back to New Zealand and Australia again. With the new cancellation policy from Celebrity we may find a postponement until 2022 may be required, if so we will do that. Clearly we need to do more land based travel on the return trips.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for being so helpful with suggestions and especially the photos.

I have made the mistake of revising the predict cruising startup thread and frankly it has gotten me down, funny how a couple individuals harping their message can do that. Of course I guess some people think the same of me.

In my relatively short time participating on these forums I have met many nice people. Most of them from this thread and the magic cruise. Funny how you can get a read on people through their words.

Mic from Canberra, you have an interesting sense of humour, I'm guessing you are a Monty Python fan. Just from the way you have been commenting on that thread that has me depressed. OzKiwiJJ and Leigh have also been voices of reason on that same thread. Thanks everyone for making me feel like I may be welcomed with a hearty G'Day should I every be allowed into Australia and New Zealand. If any of you manage to make it to my island please make sure I know because I will make you welcome.

• Like 2

That thread has all of us depressed, Blackduck59. I have to keep reminding myself that it is only one person's opinion. Plus some of his facts aren't entirely accurate so I don't give a lot of credence to his predictions. I prefer to keep my hopes up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mic from Canberra, you have an interesting sense of humour, I'm guessing you are a Monty Python fan. Just from the way you have been commenting on that thread that has me depressed.

Run a mile if he tries to sell you a Norwegian Blue.

When you are in Sydney you may be able to get a trip on the restored Barque James Craig or at least visit her alongside at or near the Maritime Museum.  Built in 1874 at Sunderland UK as Clan Macleod.  She is/was an iron barque & did 23 voyages "around the Horn" before being sold to James J. Craig of Auckland.  Full story on Wikipedia.

James-Craig-with-all-21-sails-set-in-Bass-Strait.jpg

James Craig entering Sydney Heads.jpg

8 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

When you are in Sydney you may be able to get a trip on the restored Barque James Craig or at least visit her alongside at or near the Maritime Museum.  Built in 1874 at Sunderland UK as Clan Macleod.  She is/was an iron barque & did 23 voyages "around the Horn" before being sold to James J. Craig of Auckland.  Full story on Wikipedia.

James-Craig-with-all-21-sails-set-in-Bass-Strait.jpg

James Craig entering Sydney Heads.jpg

You've brought back memories of my first visit to Hobart. I recall seeing the rusty hull resting on the banks of the Derwent in 1974'. I was amazed that the restorers were able to get it towed to Sydney without it sinking.

• Like 1