Now for something completely different

26 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

"9News can confirm a volunteer bushwalker found the teen, who was still smiling, and offered him some food, before alerting authorities."

Yeah TV is presenting it differently than an earlier Radio report, the big thing is he seems to be alive and well, 450 searchers including the dog squad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I think Crocodiles are a bigger danger than Sharks.

ABC did a fact check on Bob Katter's claim that there was 1 crocodile fatality every 3 months. Wrong.

"Long-term figures from the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage Protection show a rate of one fatal crocodile attack every three years from 1985 to now (2017)." Source

More deadly are bees and snakes. "Bees caused 25 deaths in Australia over the past 13 years, second only to snake bites, which caused 27 deaths in that period." Source

However, watch out for lightning strikes. "It is estimated that there are five to 10 deaths a year from lightning strikes in Australia and more than 100 people are seriously injured annually." Source

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think crocs are like polar bears, if something moves it's food. 

When my late wife and I were in Whistler, she bought a cap showing a bear chasing a human captioned "Canadian Fast Food".😮

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Interesting point of view, we have many bear "sightings" around greater Victoria. I have a picture of one in my yard a few years back. A quick google search said 1 a year but I really don't know. Black bears are pretty docile to humans, unless you get between mama bear and her cubs. Grizzlies are a whole different thing and are best avoided. Polar bears are an even more unpredictable critter. For polar bears they are the top of the food chain, if they see something moving it's food, they have no fear of humans. And polar bears are big.

2012 we were driving around Jasper NP and there was a black bear wandering next to the road. Everyone was stopping and taking pictures out of their car windows. After a few minutes the bear walked back into the forest and a man parked behind us ran out of his car following the bear into the forest😱😭

Things are opening up here, Restaurants are re-opening with reduced seating, The little harbour ferries started back up today. We like to do that little tour from time to time. More people are getting out. Some restaurants tried to recall staff and some refused to come back until after the dole runs out. I think that if you have been offered your job back, you should be kicked off the dole and get back to work.

these benefits were needed while we responded to Covid 19 but now that we are relaxing things, people need to get back to work. Our shop never shut down and there was always work available in a safe distance situation and still we had several workers who chose to sit on the dole.

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

these benefits were needed while we responded to Covid 19 but now that we are relaxing things, people need to get back to work. Our shop never shut down and there was always work available in a safe distance situation and still we had several workers who chose to sit on the dole.

We have a similar situation he Lyle. I work for a transport company and a lot of the drivers will only turn up 3 days a week so they get the benefits.

The company has broken records over the shutdown but can’t put drivers in trucks.

One fella that’s retired and works casual gets $1700 a week between he and his wife .He said both he and his wife get $120 a day 7 days a week each to do nothing.

Our benefits aren't quite that good Chiliburn, it's $500.00 a week. That would be much less than half my pay but for them probably about 2/3 pay. Meanwhile the rest of us are working hard to keep product moving out the door.

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our benefits aren't quite that good Chiliburn, it's $500.00 a week. That would be much less than half my pay but for them probably about 2/3 pay. Meanwhile the rest of us are working hard to keep product moving out the door.

Our dole starts at a bit more than that and then if you have kids a bit more then there’s rent assistance and what ever the dole office can throw at them.

But we will have to pay all this back!!!

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Our dole starts at a bit more than that and then if you have kids a bit more then there’s rent assistance and what ever the dole office can throw at them.

But we will have to pay all this back!!!

Yes, the Australian tax payer will have to foot the bill for all this largesse like the job keeper money etc.  Watch the tax rate rise for the workers.  I am a self funded retiree so don't pay tax, but the government gives me nothing else.  No Commonwealth Seniors Health Card any more, so I pay full freight for my many 'stay alive pills.'  If one is a single retiree and earning over 55K or around that, you are not eligible for the card, for couples it is 89K.  Such is life.  What is the point in complaining, no one is going to listen.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I hear you Les, think of this thread as the Pub where we can shoot the breeze and solve all the worlds problems; even if the powers that be aren't listening. 

Thankyou, we are on the same wavelength.😁

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Yes, the Australian tax payer will have to foot the bill for all this largesse like the job keeper money etc.  Watch the tax rate rise for the workers.  I am a self funded retiree so don't pay tax, but the government gives me nothing else.  No Commonwealth Seniors Health Card any more, so I pay full freight for my many 'stay alive pills.'  If one is a single retiree and earning over 55K or around that, you are not eligible for the card, for couples it is 89K.  Such is life.  What is the point in complaining, no one is going to listen.

Man that stinks,

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The country will be unliveable.

I know a mate that will put us up in Vancouver.

Whats the beer there like Lyle.LOL

There is a large variety of beer here. We have a growing number of "Craft" breweries all over the province. Those are small operations and they sort of stay localized then the medium brewers which mat cater to a wider region. and of course the National brewers you can get anywhere. I like the honey brown brews, Sleemans is a national brew, that's my house brew. 

If you're coming to the Island there will be plenty of local choices. I'm sure your friend on the lower mainland will find a selection of local brews to explore there as well. I'm thinking that between Vancouver and here you could probably try a different brew every day for about 3 months.

You'll also find quite a few expats living here too so you'll blend in well. Are you able to work here? 😉

On 6/15/2020 at 12:16 AM, Chiliburn said:

I was joking and referring to you you Lyle, Sorry I thought you lived in Vancouver.

It’s Victoria??

Cheers Chili, I knew you were joking so I played along. Yes we are in Victoria. We could probably pitch a tent for you 😉. Do you know anything about woodwork? I could talk to my boss.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cheers Chili, I knew you were joking so I played along. Yes we are in Victoria. We could probably pitch a tent for you 😉. Do you know anything about woodwork? I could talk to my boss.

A tent big enough for all us here on the Australia,New Zealand forum ??

I think you be calling for some Minnesota cops after a few days .

Sorry I don’t know much about timber.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2020 at 7:15 PM, lyndarra said:

City of Victoria on Vancouver Island.

And a real nice place is Victoria - Vancouver Island, we called in there some years ago on the Alaska Inside passage cruise, ex Vancouver.