Now for something completely different

I would love to see that ship, I have had a chance to tour several tall ships over the years. We have had several tall ship meetings here in Victoria and had a couple of small ones home ported here years ago.

I was able to tour Nippon Maru back in the late 70s or early 80s, USCGC Eagle was here at the same time as well. I made a point of getting to Portsmouth to tour HMS Victory (she was fully rigged with masts and yards but not sails when we toured her. HMS Warrior was also at Portsmouth.

James Craig, Young Endeavour and another one were in Williamstown and Geelong in Feb/March for a couple of sail events. Then they went back to Sydney.

I took a tour of the James Craig, but was not able to go on one of the sailing outings. Very interesting history and lovely to see.

A couple of photos of it coming into port.

2263DF66-B71E-46B5-B9E3-786BAB9D4811.thumb.jpeg.67e0b957a5e4ca1d4d63013776c47a3a.jpeg

6C7C4E00-7BF0-49A7-9A51-8482A95477D6.jpeg.7f88b08c8246357b1b08f0b77e0df218.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a tremendous amount of respect for those that work aloft. I was on a very small gaff rig schooner once many years ago and decided to "have a go" at climbing the ratlines once, well I got to about 15 feet and that was that. As it turns out I don't walk on air very well, no heights for me. Or small places.

I'm not sure if the RCAF "Snowbirds" Air Demonstration Squadron are known in the land down under, but we are mighty proud of them. They were on a nationwide good will "lift our spirits" tour, performing fly overs across the country. They started in Halifax shortly after we lost the helicopter off the coast of Greece. They flew the missing man on that occasion for the fallen aircrew. Today sadly one of the snowbirds crashed, both pilot and passenger ejected but they were too low and the parachutes didn't deploy properly. As a result the team Public Affairs Officer was killed and the Pilot is in serious but not life threatening condition.

So sadly, one more time...Ladies and Gentlemen "The Fallen"

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm not sure if the RCAF "Snowbirds" Air Demonstration Squadron are known in the land down under, but we are mighty proud of them. They were on a nationwide good will "lift our spirits" tour, performing fly overs across the country. They started in Halifax shortly after we lost the helicopter off the coast of Greece. They flew the missing man on that occasion for the fallen aircrew. Today sadly one of the snowbirds crashed, both pilot and passenger ejected but they were too low and the parachutes didn't deploy properly. As a result the team Public Affairs Officer was killed and the Pilot is in serious but not life threatening condition.

What a sad time Canada and especially it’s military is having Lyle. 

RIP

Leigh

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We just watched the crash a short while ago on the internet. It is very sad.

The loss of our helicopter was tragic and I think that that was the catalyst for the Canada Wide tour. It is very uncommon for them to fly missing man but they did over the base in Shearwater Nova Scotia where the helicopter was based and they had continued to do flyovers all across Canada. They were taking off for the transit to CFB Comox on Vancouver Island when the plane crashed.

To Canadians the snowbirds are special, our best pilots. It is a sad day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm just back home from a magical virtual cruise with a wonderful group of new friends.

I sudden dose of reality. The Government of Canada took the bold move of closing all cruise ships in Canadian waters through the end of October 2020; effectively closing the entire cruise season on both coasts.

As most everyone that has been on this rambling thread with a wide open theme knows, Lynn and I are wanting to come down under in January 2021. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will proceed as planned, but am aware of the reluctance from both New Zealand and Australia in welcoming international travelers. 

I commented on another thread that I hope that if the borders are to remain closed that they make that announcement in September. That way those of us who have been planning their "trip of a lifetime" for over a year, can change our plans and move the trip a year down the road.

As always I appreciate "realistic" input. I'm not interested in any "we won't be open for the foreseeable future" or forget it boy it will be years before we open up. 

Another option will be to "can" the cruise and do New Zealand by self drive. That would be if we can fly but not cruise.

Edited by Blackduck59

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm just back home from a magical virtual cruise with a wonderful group of new friends.

I sudden dose of reality. The Government of Canada took the bold move of closing all cruise ships in Canadian waters through the end of October 2021; effectively closing the entire cruise season on both coasts.

Lyle - that should read October 2020 ?????

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I sudden dose of reality. The Government of Canada took the bold move of closing all cruise ships in Canadian waters through the end of October 2021; effectively closing the entire cruise season on both coasts.

As most everyone that has been on this rambling thread with a wide open theme knows, Lynn and I are wanting to come down under in January 2021. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will proceed as planned, but am aware of the reluctance from both New Zealand and Australia in welcoming international travelers. 

I commented on another thread that I hope that if the borders are to remain closed that they make that announcement in September. That way those of us who have been planning their "trip of a lifetime" for over a year, can change our plans and move the trip a year down the road.

As always I appreciate "realistic" input. I'm not interested in any "we won't be open for the foreseeable future" or forget it boy it will be years before we open up. 

Another option will be to "can" the cruise and do New Zealand by self drive. That would be if we can fly but not cruise.

Unless you're a cruise tragic "can it". You will see and experience lots more as a road trip. For places like Fiordland, for example, you can do day cruises. I'm in the early stages of planning my second road tour of the south island with or without a cruise there or back. NZ is well set up for self drive tours, especially by motorhome RVs.

ETA. Planning itinerary only. Not booking anything.

Edited by lyndarra

Lyle, one of the issues is even if Aus/NZ do choose to open the borders to overseas visitors from September (or whenever) there is no guarantee the borders will stay open. If there is a spike in new cases from overseas visitors the borders will snap shut again.

The fact is nobody knows what will happen. Our prime cruise season is Oct/Nov through Mar/Apr so a bit further out than the Canadian cruise season so August/September is probably the earliest I'd expect any of our governments to make that decision, and that will very much depend on what happens between now and then. There is talk of a Trans-Tasman bubble opening around September but when/if that will be extended to allow visitors from outside Aus/NZ into that bubble is still totally unpredictable. My guess is that things will proceed very cautiously.

Another factor is the negativity that Australian governments - both federal and state - have about cruise ships. That may mean land travel is possible long before cruising resumes but we don't know what restrictions will still be in place early next year as far as social distancing, visiting local attractions, restaurant dining etc, which would also impact how enjoyable a land trip would be.

So really all you can do is wait to see what happens. By September there should be some indications, and certainly some clearer pictures on what post-pandemic life will be like - that is starting to happen now but very slowly.

I do know how frustrating this must be for you. I've just been through it all with a Western Europe "trip of a lifetime" dissolving bit by bit over the last couple of months. We would have been on that trip right now if it hadn't been for the virus. 😪 

49 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Flights I have doubt will be back before cruising but chances are there will be less of them. I have been reading of airlines that are scraping or cancelling orders for those super jumbos, so it seems they are anticipating a reduction in customers. You also have to wonder if getting to certain places won't become more complicated. Air NZ said they don't know if they will resume long haul flights. If no one picks up the routes it will be a lot more connections to get to NZ. If I were you I would plan out a driving itinerary in case flights do resume so you'll be ready to go🤗. While my plan for next year was a Greece trip I have myself a rough itinerary of a NZ trip in case it does turn out to be the only international destination open to me. I have always wanted to visit NZ but thought of it as a later in life trip since it is so close to us. I think for the next few years in travel flexibility will be important.

Edited by ilikeanswers

I have to wonder why Air New Zealand would spend millions of dollars building an international reputation with innovative solutions to long haul issues and then just shut that down.

We are booked with Air New Zealand.

We've been watching Australian TV shows lately. Water Rats...an oldie but we like it. Of course Miss Fisher. We enjoyed Doctor Blake and hope that the case involving Craig McLachlan is resolved on way or the other. I really like Sea Patrol and right now we are watching City Homicide.

Are all the shows good or do we only get the cream up here?

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have to wonder why Air New Zealand would spend millions of dollars building an international reputation with innovative solutions to long haul issues and then just shut that down.

We are booked with Air New Zealand.

They are not the only airline that is looking to drop long haul routes. I think they worry there will not be enough customers to cover the costs of running those routes.

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We've been watching Australian TV shows lately. Water Rats...an oldie but we like it. Of course Miss Fisher. We enjoyed Doctor Blake and hope that the case involving Craig McLachlan is resolved on way or the other. I really like Sea Patrol and right now we are watching City Homicide.

Are all the shows good or do we only get the cream up here?

Oh we have had some stinkers that shall not be named😜. You seem to like your mystery shows, have you seen Mystery Road? It is a hard boiled crime show with two telemovies and two series. You should also check out the NZ series Brokenwood Mysteries very light Agatha Christie style crime show.

18 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

They are not the only airline that is looking to drop long haul routes. I think they worry there will not be enough customers to cover the costs of running those routes.

I think you will find that there will be plenty of people to fill those flights as soon as people are able to travel. Everything that made New Zealand and Australia a desirable destination is still there. 

And for part 2, yes I have seen Mystery Road and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also enjoyed Brokenwood and hope they make more. I understand the lead Actress for that show is calling Whistler BC home and when I read that story last year she said she would go home to do the show.

I also watch the Snowy River: The McGregor Saga series back in the day.

Also ANZAC Girls, and a few others

I really enjoyed "The Lighthorse Men" movie.

We have only seen the one series of Mystery road and look forward to seeing the rest should they become available to us

Edited by Blackduck59

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you will find that there will be plenty of people to fill those flights as soon as people are able to travel. Everything that made New Zealand and Australia a desirable destination is still there. 

And for part 2, yes I have seen Mystery Road and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also enjoyed Brokenwood and hope they make more. I understand the lead Actress for that show is calling Whistler BC home and when I read that story last year she said she would go home to do the show.

I also watch the Snowy River: The McGregor Saga series back in the day.

Also ANZAC Girls, and a few others

I really enjoyed "The Lighthorse Men" movie.

We have only seen the one series of Mystery road and look forward to seeing the rest should they become available to us

Apart from Qatar Airlines they all to some extent are reducing capacity. I do not know where they are getting their data from though I suspect they are worried people won't be able to afford to travel and Australia and NZ are pretty expensive destinations, probably not high on the list of hoilday destinations for those with reduced discretionary funds. I noticed a lot of the dramas you list are historical, Australia does a lot more contemporary dramas (our budgets are nowhere as generous as that neighbour of yours😜). Are they the selection available to you or is it a preference for you?

We watch a couple of Canadian shows which we enjoy - Frankie Drake Mysteries and Murdoch Mysteries.  

We also enjoy Brokenwood Mysteries. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Indeed the Airfare is a bit high, About $8,650.00 Canadian return in Premium Economy direct out of Vancouver. That price includes our connecting flights from Victoria BC to Vancouver and back and the flight from Sydney to Auckland.

Some of my viewing is what is available and others I seek out. The historical stuff is personal interest, our schools teach about Canadian involvement in the world wars and of course there are no shortage of Movies from our neighbour to the south (of course most of those portray the Americans as the heroes, even when they weren't even involved) The Great Escape comes to mind. We don't know that much about the middle eastern campaign of "The Great War" and I have learned quite a lot from the recent productions like ANZAC Girls.

Hi Leigh, I have been watching Murdoch from the beginning and still find it fun. I never really got into Frankie Drake, she was trying to much to be Miss Fisher and it just felt clunky.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Some of my viewing is what is available and others I seek out. The historical stuff is personal interest, our schools teach about Canadian involvement in the world wars and of course there are no shortage of Movies from our neighbour to the south (of course most of those portray the Americans as the heroes, even when they weren't even involved) The Great Escape comes to mind. We don't know that much about the middle eastern campaign of "The Great War" and I have learned quite a lot from the recent productions like ANZAC Girls.

Hi Leigh, I have been watching Murdoch from the beginning and still find it fun. I never really got into Frankie Drake, she was trying to much to be Miss Fisher and it just felt clunky.

I would never consider Frankie Drake to be anything like Phryne Fisher. They are two completely different characters. 

Some of our WW1 productions have been very good. Did you see the Water Diviner with Russell Crowe? That was one which was a little different. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

I haven't seen that one Leigh, I do like Russel Crowe though. I think I first saw him in LA Confidential and one of my favourite movies is Master and Commander. I also enjoyed Mel Gibson until he got weird.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Indeed the Airfare is a bit high, About $8,650.00 Canadian return in Premium Economy direct out of Vancouver. That price includes our connecting flights from Victoria BC to Vancouver and back and the flight from Sydney to Auckland.

It is not just airfare, but travelling around Australia and NZ is not cheap. It will probably reduce the number of visitors to our countries. I have never been particularly interested in war films or shows (I had my fill of it in high school😆) though ANZAC Girls was very interesting as I had never heard of the experiences of the medical workers. I second the Water Diviner, it is really about post WW1 but again I found that interesting as it was about things I had not been taught at school. I haven't watched many Canadian shows but Orphan Black is one of my all time favourite shows🤗.