Now for something completely different

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I haven't seen that one Leigh, I do like Russel Crowe though. I think I first saw him in LA Confidential and one of my favourite movies is Master and Commander. I also enjoyed Mel Gibson until he got weird.

Lyle, I think Mel Gibson has always been weird! The Water Diviner was made about 2014. 

Leigh

Okay so we may not have that here yet, also it may not be deemed "interesting" to the North American market.

Mel Gibson, Mad Max...never, Braveheart excellent, Lethal weapon silly but entertaining American action films. We were Soldiers among his best work. (of course the man he was portraying was involved with the film, that puts the pressure on to get it right).

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I used to enjoy the weirdness of Corner Gas.

Prairie humour at it's finest, I spent several summers in small town Saskatchewan when I was a pre-teen. It was definately different than life on the coast. Apparently passers by would just drive up to the gas station (set) out of the blue expecting to get gas. I Understand they finally demolished the set a while back.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm just back home from a magical virtual cruise with a wonderful group of new friends.

I sudden dose of reality. The Government of Canada took the bold move of closing all cruise ships in Canadian waters through the end of October 2020; effectively closing the entire cruise season on both coasts.

As most everyone that has been on this rambling thread with a wide open theme knows, Lynn and I are wanting to come down under in January 2021. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will proceed as planned, but am aware of the reluctance from both New Zealand and Australia in welcoming international travelers. 

I commented on another thread that I hope that if the borders are to remain closed that they make that announcement in September. That way those of us who have been planning their "trip of a lifetime" for over a year, can change our plans and move the trip a year down the road.

As always I appreciate "realistic" input. I'm not interested in any "we won't be open for the foreseeable future" or forget it boy it will be years before we open up. 

Another option will be to "can" the cruise and do New Zealand by self drive. That would be if we can fly but not cruise.

Sorry but I don't think NZ will be allowing overseas visitors (Oz notwithstanding) in January.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you will find that there will be plenty of people to fill those flights as soon as people are able to travel. Everything that made New Zealand and Australia a desirable destination is still there. 

And for part 2, yes I have seen Mystery Road and thoroughly enjoyed it. We also enjoyed Brokenwood and hope they make more. I understand the lead Actress for that show is calling Whistler BC home and when I read that story last year she said she would go home to do the show.

I also watch the Snowy River: The McGregor Saga series back in the day.

Also ANZAC Girls, and a few others

I really enjoyed "The Lighthorse Men" movie.

We have only seen the one series of Mystery road and look forward to seeing the rest should they become available to us

We used to enjoy Corner Gas and Murdoch Mysteries was good for laugh at times.

• Like 1

So some Canadian guy wanders into a pub in New Zealand or Oz. He doesn't want beer he can get in Canada so no Steinlager or Fosters. My beer of choice here is a honey brown lager. Suggestions please?

Edited by Blackduck59
punctuation

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So some Canadian guy wanders into a pub in New Zealand or Oz. He doesn't want beer he can get in Canada so no Steinlager or Fosters. My beer of choice here is a honey brown lager. Suggestions please?

I like this one:

cooperspaleale

You might prefer this one:

coopers_dark_bottle_and_glass71285d0c552f6dcf9b5fff0000164613

I haven't tried their Lager.

Coopers_Lager_Bottle_Can

Edited by By The Bay

When I drank it was a dark ale, bordering on stout, so Toohey’s old was my drink of choice, but that is a NSW beer, indeed rare anywhere other in the Northern areas, but was very popular in the Hunter Region, probably the other reason it was my “go to”.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

There are various chain beers, some good. However, there is also a large market in craft beers, some only available in local areas.

This is made by 2 women in a brewery about 3 kms from my house. Stocked in quite a few pubs around Melbourne.

97E65357-C568-484C-8424-B9D4214F4C7F.jpeg.a3814d908426068709e70057059ed324.jpeg

Personally, I would aVoid anything called West End, Cascade, Emu, VB, Carlton.

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When I drank it was a dark ale, bordering on stout, so Toohey’s old was my drink of choice, but that is a NSW beer, indeed rare anywhere other in the Northern areas, but was very popular in the Hunter Region, probably the other reason it was my “go to”.

Toohey's Old is also my beer of choice with pub lunches and when I'm not driving. Good flavour and not heavy like stout. Otherwise 150 Lashes is a lighter drop and popular hereabouts. I don't know anyone who drinks Fosters - yuk.

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Toohey's Old is also my beer of choice with pub lunches and when I'm not driving. Good flavour and not heavy like stout. Otherwise 150 Lashes is a lighter drop and popular hereabouts. I don't know anyone who drinks Fosters - yuk.

I quite like One Fifty Lashes Pale Ale too. We had my husband’s 70 birthday lunch at Cheeky Squire, a James Squire Brewhouse. I thoroughly enjoyed my One fifty Lashes. 

Does anyone in Australia drink Fosters?  

Leigh

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Dad carted beer, and a lot of other stuff, for over 50 years, I cut my teeth on the steering wheel of an International KB7 Truck, could count on one hand how many cartons of Fosters we carried, I think it took off when a couple of Aussie comedy movies presented it as what WE drank, one writer told me he did it as part of the comedy, as no fair dinkum Aussie would touch it.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

You drink Old because you are from Newcastle (in the broader sense) I recall when I was younger trying to get an Old in Sydney, they looked at me like I had four heads.

12 hours ago, possum52 said:

I quite like One Fifty Lashes Pale Ale too. We had my husband’s 70 birthday lunch at Cheeky Squire, a James Squire Brewhouse. I thoroughly enjoyed my One fifty Lashes. 

Leigh

If you like 150 Lashes, I do, then try Fat Yak, I think it is even better with the same style of taste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

If you like 150 Lashes, I do, then try Fat Yak, I think it is even better with the same style of taste.

I tried Fat Yak some time ago. Didn't like it.

I think my taste gets spoiled each time I go canal cruising in UK, lots of pubs serving Real Ales.

I did come across a dark ale I quite liked - Hobgoblin.

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Give this a go. Dogbolter is another great brew from Matilda Bay, who make Fat Yak and others.

"Notes: Dogbolter is a Munich-style dark lager. Central to this style is a rich malt character reflected in the make-up of the grist. We carefully selected six different malts including Pale, Crystal, Wheat, Chocolate Malt and Chocolate Wheat to deliver a rich caramel, chocolate and toffee flavour. Chocolate malts also give Dogbolter its dark ruby colour."

Dan Murphy's and others sell it.

dogbolter2.jpg

Thanks everyone, so many choices. Pictures are a good visual a couple of the darks have lovely colour. Lager or Ale I like either, less hops for me, not too bitter. Years ago we had a bit of a shift in the pub scene here, we got our first "Neighbourhood Brew Pub" it was a complete change to the large beer halls of the day with the red terry cloth table covers and a waiter wandering around with a tray full of glasses of the single beer they had on tap. Stick your hand up and they would plunk down however many that you wanted. Don't forget the hockey game on the big screen TV and the 7 pool tables. Such was the "Pub" in the late 1970s and early 80s. Suddenly there was a whole different "Pub" experience. Brewed on premises Ale, Lager and Stout hand pulled with traditional pumps at the bar. There were a couple dart boards, no TVs and not a pool table in sight. The kitchen had a limited menu of pub grub; burgers, fries, meat pies, and excellent apple pie. Most of the giant beer halls are gone, now we have mostly small pubs and "Sports Bars" the 21st century equivalent of the old beer hall just slightly less trashy.

It's also interesting how everyone responding on this topic doesn't think much of Fosters, I have a couple of beers that are quite popular and very well known. There is of course Molson Canadian long time sponsors of "Hockey Night in Canada" and there is a BC brand called Kokanee. I simply will not drink them, I would rather have water. Needless to say the pubs with only "Molson Canadian" on tap didn't get my business. Now I don't think you will find any pub around here with only one brew on tap.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Yes, Fat Yack is another favourite.

Leigh