Now for something completely different

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You did, you probably slept in. lol. This stupid daylight saving, I hate it, might move to Qld lol.

Love daylight saving. An extra hour of sailing in the arvo.

There was something about books and faces.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1

This daylight saving thingie.......

( I believe WW2 is over and we now have solar panels)

So when one is retied where does the extra hour come from.......

Is it ... from getting up an hour earlier or going to bed an hour later.....

or both   then you can save two hours a day.........lol

• Haha 2

Daylight savings is definitely something that should be scrapped. We will be moving to permanent DST hopefully next year. We are waiting for California, Oregon and Washington States to get their already passed amendment to clear the US federal congress. Until then we change as usual on the 7th of November. The province of Saskatchewan does not do DST and I don't know if they ever have.

I disagree. I used wake so early in October, before they changed the start of daylight saving. Even now, with triple blockout curtains in our bedroom and wearing a eye mask for sleep I still often wake up at daybreak. Luckily that's now around 6:30am at the moment instead of 5:30am but it will get earlier and earlier until the summer solstice. I'm a poor sleeper too so waking too early and not getting back to sleep ruins my day as I'm tired and grumpy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I prefer the time changes as well, as the birds are so vocal in the morning,  that being woken at 5 am is a nuisance. At least it is 6am now, I can live with that, as it means I still get 7-7.5hrs of sleep per night.

It also means I can get more done in the afternoons.

• Like 1

Love daylight saving! I agree with Mic, we usually are woken each morning by noisy birds. At least it is an hour later now! We can sleep in.......

We also love the long evenings - sit outside, go for a walk or even do some gardening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Not so important now I have retired  but having the extra hour of sunlight after work was wonderful.

I've been retired for nearly 4 years and my husband longer but we still enjoy those longer evenings. We still eat dinner at same time so still may have at least another hour or so to enjoy outside - weather permitting!

Love daylight saving, especially on the days I work at the OPT. Nothing better than watching the cruise ships slip  around the Opera House just at sunrise and glide  silently towards  the  terminal ..a great sight and would be lost in the dark if not for DS……. 😱😱😱😱oh thats right, there are no ships at the moment ..I forgot about that. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

Love daylight saving, especially on the days I work at the OPT. Nothing better than watching the cruise ships slip  around the Opera House just at sunrise and glide  silently towards  the  terminal ..a great sight and would be lost in the dark if not for DS……. 😱😱😱😱oh thats right, there are no ships at the moment ..I forgot about that. 😂😂😂😂

I think you have your reasoning the wrong way around. 😁 With daylight saving, the ships enter the harbour effectively one hour earlier than usual, so therefore in the dark. I preferred the pre-daylight saving time for entering the harbour, when I could see the sunlight gilding the sails of the Opera House.

• Like 1

In my experience, in winter you tend to do sailaway with the sun setting over the bridge (between 4- 5pm), or the city lights if a later time but sail into the harbour in the dark. In summer you get to cruise into the harbour with the sun rise and sail out with the sunset setting with a 6.30-7.30 pm sailaway.

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

In my experience, in winter you tend to do sailaway with the sun setting over the bridge (between 4- 5pm), or the city lights if a later time but sail into the harbour in the dark. In summer you get to cruise into the harbour with the sun rise and sail out with the sunset setting with a 6.30-7.30 pm sailaway.

The previous post was about daylight saving - that is summer not winter. 😁 Probably the 'best time' for sunlight would be immediately before daylight saving starts, or very soon after it ends.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The previous post was about daylight saving - that is summer not winter. 😁 Probably the 'best time' for sunlight would be immediately before daylight saving starts, or very soon after it ends.

I was aware, and as such was trying to demonstrate that the ships often time their sailaways out of Sydney to suit the sunset. The benefit with daylight saving is the sailing the morning into Sydney Harbour 

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Thanks Mic…thats what I meant. 👍

Edited by gbenjo

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I was aware, and as such was trying to demonstrate that the ships often time their sailaways out of Sydney to suit the sunset. The benefit with daylight saving is the sailing the morning into Sydney Harbour 

I haven't come across a cruise line or a particular cruise where sailaway has been timed to suit the sunset. From what I know, they are not permitted to enter or leave the harbour during the peak time for commuter ferry traffic. Therefore, arrivals are early (around 6am - 6.30am) and departures are either around 4pm or 8pm.

Every cruise I have been on that has returned to Sydney during daylight saving time, has arrived in the dark, or at best, the half light.

Edited by Aus Traveller

A quick look at sunrise times, shows that December and January are the best for the early morning light on the Opera House, despite daylight saving. On 1st Dec sunrise is at 5.37am (4.37 without daylight saving) and at the start of January, it is 5.48 am (4.48 without daylight saving). In winter, sunrise is just before or just after 7am, by which time the ship would be tied up at the wharf.