Now for something completely different

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Damn that meat pie thread is making me hungry, now I could probably eat meat pies very often but Lynn would get bored with that pretty quick so we need to identify other "typically" Australian tucker that she would try; keep in mind she has food intolerance to tomatoes, mangoes and Egg Plant to name a few.

I would also try kangaroo but I doubt she would.

Our Beef and lamb is really to die for, some of the best in the world (NZ wins for lamb, but don’t tell them that an Aussie said that). There won’t be much you can get there that you won’t get here, I think our fruit and vegetables are fresher, in most places. Our seafood is also good. Unfortunately onboard a cruise ship the food seems to follow pretty standard North American menus.

Pavlova and lamington are both must tries.

Pavlova is a definite for both of us, lamingtons are a type of cake or cookie or both? Lynn likes lamb more than I do but will give it a try. We know a local shepherd and his Vancouver Island lamb is pretty well thought of. Lynn is a city girl but joined our friend for a day of lambing a few years ago, let's just say it was an experience for her. I prefer beef myself and we can get Australian beef here and I've tried it but wonder if the journey had a negative impact on the flavour. I look forward to trying some that is a little less traveled. Here in Canada certified Angus is the beef of choice although we have quite a lot of Hereford, as well as some Limousine and Charolais around. A few farmers are even raising North American Bison.

Just now, Docker123 said:

Don’t forget snot blocks.

A dessert for the ages.

0AF44ADC-B103-483C-947D-07BF17811DA2.thumb.jpeg.221d5e50b81ecdacc9d3ed621d7cb4d4.jpeg

Does the icing have a flavour? Or is it just coloured pink to make it pretty. And the filling is a thick custard? It looks very tasty

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Does the icing have a flavour? Or is it just coloured pink to make it pretty. And the filling is a thick custard? It looks very tasty

Basically a thick vanilla custard (hence it real name Vanilla Slice) with icing the icing may or may not have a flavour depending on where you buy it.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pavlova is a definite for both of us, lamingtons are a type of cake or cookie or both? Lynn likes lamb more than I do but will give it a try. We know a local shepherd and his Vancouver Island lamb is pretty well thought of. Lynn is a city girl but joined our friend for a day of lambing a few years ago, let's just say it was an experience for her. I prefer beef myself and we can get Australian beef here and I've tried it but wonder if the journey had a negative impact on the flavour. I look forward to trying some that is a little less traveled. Here in Canada certified Angus is the beef of choice although we have quite a lot of Hereford, as well as some Limousine and Charolais around. A few farmers are even raising North American Bison.

A lamington in sponge cake, coated in a chocolate icing (soft) and coconut, I prefer one with cream in the middle.

a Mixed grill is a popular pub food, probably consist of a small steak, a lamb chop, a sausage, some bacon, tomato (ask to have it left off for the good Mrs Duck) chips, sometimes a fried egg, some desecrate it with salad.

Chicken schnitzel is also common pub grub (not only served in hotels) with salad and various topping.

• Thanks 1

I prefer pink lamingtons, often called jelly cakes in Australia. They are dipped in raspberry jelly instead of chocolate icing. They seem to be more popular in NZ. Also best with cream in them.

• Thanks 1

Lyle, you have to try bugs. They aren't as bad as they sound. There are two types, Morton Bay bugs from up Queensland way, and Balmain bugs. They are actually a type of lobster, rather weird-looking. They are also known as shovel-nosed or slipper lobsters. Very tasty.

NZ scampi are also good, very similar to the scampi you get in Italy. They look a bit like a prawn but have a harder shell and taste similar to lobster.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Damn that meat pie thread is making me hungry, now I could probably eat meat pies very often but Lynn would get bored with that pretty quick so we need to identify other "typically" Australian tucker that she would try; keep in mind she has food intolerance to tomatoes, mangoes and Egg Plant to name a few.

When I lived in the southern suburbs of Sydney, I had a friend who was a decent chef, he operated the bistro in the local pub. He had a dish called 'Aussie Emblem.' It was grilled, Crocodile, Emu and Kangaroo.  I tried it once, but only the once, not to my taste, I requested a pepper sauce to ease the pain, suffice to say the chef was not overly impressed.

Many of the fancier restaurants feature Mod-Aus cuisine, that's short for Modern Australian, and usually includes Asian influences and flavours. Native Australian ingredients are also becoming popular in restaurants.

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A lamington in sponge cake, coated in a chocolate icing (soft) and coconut, I prefer one with cream in the middle.

a Mixed grill is a popular pub food, probably consist of a small steak, a lamb chop, a sausage, some bacon, tomato (ask to have it left off for the good Mrs Duck) chips, sometimes a fried egg, some desecrate it with salad.

Chicken schnitzel is also common pub grub (not only served in hotels) with salad and various topping.

Not forgetting the odd rissole with the Mixed Grill.  Parmigiana or 'Parmy'  is popular too, chicken snittie with a tomato pizza sauce on top, and ham and finished with lashings of grilled cheese.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Kangaroo is a very healthy meat and really nice. It's a bit like venison. It needs to be cooked fairly rare though, or it goes tough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Kangaroo is a very healthy meat and really nice. It's a bit like venison. It needs to be cooked fairly rare though, or it goes tough.

Some people say it tastes just like chicken, or is that guinea pig? Tried that in Peru, tastes like chicken, plenty of Peri Peri sauce and it is ok.

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some people say it tastes just like chicken, or is that guinea pig? Tried that in Peru, tastes like chicken, plenty of Peri Peri sauce and it is ok.

I think that's crocodile, it tastes like fishy chicken.

Kangaroo is a red meat with a flavour half way between beef and venison. It's really very nice. Goes well with a not too heavy shiraz.

35 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I prefer pink lamingtons, often called jelly cakes in Australia. They are dipped in raspberry jelly instead of chocolate icing. They seem to be more popular in NZ. Also best with cream in them.

My mum made jelly cakes more than chocolate lamingtons. They were just cup/patty cakes dipped in jelly and coconut. I must say I prefer a chocolate lamington with jam in the middle and a dob of cream on the side. 

54 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Basically a thick vanilla custard (hence it real name Vanilla Slice) with icing the icing may or may not have a flavour depending on where you buy it.

The vanilla slice icing is sometimes white depending on who made it.

Leigh

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think that's crocodile, it tastes like fishy chicken.

Kangaroo is a red meat with a flavour half way between beef and venison. It's really very nice. Goes well with a not too heavy shiraz.

Kangaroo is a bit gamey for my taste, but have had had it a few times and yes it is very lean. It has to be cooked just the right way.

Leigh

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not forgetting the odd rissole with the Mixed Grill.  Parmigiana or 'Parmy'  is popular too, chicken snittie with a tomato pizza sauce on top, and ham and finished with lashings of grilled cheese.

Not parmy in Victoriam Les, we call them chicken parmas or just a parma.

Leigh

Food what a great subject. 

So far we have the Pavlova which I understand is a source of national pride but every household has their own idea of what it should be and they will try others but they'll never be as good as (insert your favourite pavlova maker here) makes.

Lamingtons have several varieties and the wise traveler should try as many as possible to find their own preference.

The lamb in New Zealand is considered better than Australian but both are good

I will try the beef with an open mind knowing I have family in Canada that raise beef and we are partial to Canadian beef, I hope to be presently surprised. I may even try some Wagyu if I can get a 8-10 oz cut for under $100.00

I tried Emu here and was not fond of it, we have an Emu farm close by.

I won't be eating reptiles, but the Kangaroo should be tried, just like visitors to Canada should try Bison (commonly called Buffalo) or much better than that...Elk.

13 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Am I right that Australia is the only Country that eats its National Emblem? Both very tasty if cooked right.

Coat of arms of Australia - Wikipedia

I don't really know if people eat beavers here but they sure like the fur.

22 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My mum made jelly cakes more than chocolate lamingtons. They were just cup/patty cakes dipped in jelly and coconut. I must say I prefer a chocolate lamington with jam in the middle and a dob of cream on the side. 

The vanilla slice icing is sometimes white depending on who made it.

Leigh

Or even yellow.

• Like 1

In Canada we have the Nanaimo Bar which is very well known even outside of Canada (at least we like to think so) but there are variations on that and many claim to be "the Original" Nanaimo is located about 1 1/2 hours north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. We have a local bakery here that created the "Langford" bar. Nanaimo bar has a chocolate and coconut crust on the botton with a firm custard like center and like a chocolate gnash on top. The Langford bar has a vanilla type crust with raspberry filling and a pink icing top