Now for something completely different

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

When does the big sporting carnival finish? I watch a bit of the of the track and field but oh dear BMX, really?

I enjoyed watching the BMX this year the tricks they do is like acrobatics on a bike. One of the Aussies she did an incredible front flip on her bike, it was more excited than fencing for me😂

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I enjoyed watching the BMX this year the tricks they do is like acrobatics on a bike. One of the Aussies she did an incredible front flip on her bike, it was more excited than fencing for me😂

Australia won Gold in the BMX race

• Thanks 1

We haven't spent much time watching the Olympics, although have been happy to hear when out athletes do well. I think most Canadians are embarrassed and disappointed by the antics of some of the women's football team staff. We are hopefull that the players weren't overtly aware of what was going on. We are also happy that the team is doing what they needed to do on the pitch. I guess they are now eliminated with a loss to Germany on Penalty Kicks. Perhaps that is a fitting ending to their tournament. We are quite pleased with the Women's 7s rugby squad bringing home the silver, they train at a facility about 5km from our house.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I really think the officials stuffed it up with the start, first they call them back due to a jump start,  then issue no penalty or tell of any decision made, all with a delay of 10 minutes.

Not sure what was happening. There was supposed to be a 5 second delay for the jump start, did they all jump the start?

I've not seen this race format before i.e. top three to the final.

I couldn't see any reason for the recall either, perhaps indecision by starter?  Usually, when I have raced, there would be an individual recall sounded if one or two crossed early. When this happens the transgressors number would be called and they would have to re-round the start marker. If too many start early a general recall would be sounded and the race restarted.

They can get amazing speed, they were hitting almost 30kts in 16kts of wind in rough conditions. My best on foils is about 21kts which, for me, can be scary in rough conditions. I'm comfortable at about 18kts.

In my Avatar I was doing about 14kts in about 8kts wind, which is close to minimum windspeed for foiling.

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 2

So we decided it was seafood night.

20240805_172009.thumb.jpg.996d25acb67fce1b4f9c9b8146f70980.jpg

Prawns for me, with potato salad and the lovely brioche buns dipped in the pan butter.

20240805_172016.thumb.jpg.571c6c8cf85f1fb48f5e4c938855798d.jpg

East Coast (Canada) scallops with boiled egg and brioche dipped in pan butter. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we decided it was seafood night.

20240805_172009.thumb.jpg.996d25acb67fce1b4f9c9b8146f70980.jpg

Prawns for me, with potato salad and the lovely brioche buns dipped in the pan butter.

20240805_172016.thumb.jpg.571c6c8cf85f1fb48f5e4c938855798d.jpg

East Coast (Canada) scallops with boiled egg and brioche dipped in pan butter. 

Please let me know if you ever find yourself single, I'm always blown away by the pictures of your delicious home cooked meals 😉 😋 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray!  Finally!  Not sure whether this momentous announcement should have its own thread where we could all relate our angst and rolling eyes at having to complete the task, but the dreaded Australian entry cards are to be no more.  We are going digital.  We will be starting with passengers entering Oz from NZ, then progressing to everywhere on the planet.  Cue loud and spontaneous applause!

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So a series of events has accelerated my retirement. I finished my last projects at work today and will be clearing my bench in the morning. Oh well 7 working days early.

Hope all is OK mate. Enjoy your final day.... I'm sure you will have so many memories of your time there.

Now you have your retirement to look forward to - time to do just want you want. Good luck!!! Cheers Neil & Tracey

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like Neil, I’m hoping the series of events are positive events, Lyle.  Congratulations on reaching this momentous life milestone.  Enjoy the happy freedom of being the master of your destiny now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm okay, I was just wanting to get through my last few days but there was a disagreement with my boss. He told me to **** off so I said okay. I just finished off the skut work he had me doing and left. I have my tool cases in the car and will load up tomorrow, drop off my key and carry on. I will have fond memories of some of the projects I did over the years; but frankly so many things recently just seemed like very expensive boxes. Now I can do some work on our house and some small projects that can be simple but rewarding.

• Like 7

On 8/16/2024 at 8:41 PM, Mareblu said:

Hooray!  Finally!  Not sure whether this momentous announcement should have its own thread where we could all relate our angst and rolling eyes at having to complete the task, but the dreaded Australian entry cards are to be no more.  We are going digital.  We will be starting with passengers entering Oz from NZ, then progressing to everywhere on the planet.  Cue loud and spontaneous applause!

What do you think - 5 years until they turn the trial into an every day process? We have been travelling with pre-filled departure and arrival cards for years, and we just check, sign & date them in transit. A more streamlined path through our international airports, especially for residents, would be an added bonus.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm okay, I was just wanting to get through my last few days but there was a disagreement with my boss. He told me to **** off so I said okay. I just finished off the skut work he had me doing and left. I have my tool cases in the car and will load up tomorrow, drop off my key and carry on. I will have fond memories of some of the projects I did over the years; but frankly so many things recently just seemed like very expensive boxes. Now I can do some work on our house and some small projects that can be simple but rewarding.

Congrats on your retirement Lyle. Enjoy those small home base projects and your new boss cracking the whip to get them done 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

On a side note, Mic. How are you doing recovering from your injury?

Getting there, thanks for asking.

The Pyshio is very happy and I am way ahead of the norm. Increasing my exercise regime and am able to exercise walk  every 2nd day now. I have a days rest between each session before increasing by 200m after doing it twice. I am currently at 1.8 kms. I have no restrictions on incidental walking around the house, shops etc.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Getting there, thanks for asking.

The Pyshio is very happy and I am way ahead of the norm. Increasing my exercise regime and am able to exercise walk  every 2nd day now. I have a days rest between each session before increasing by 200m after doing it twice. I am currently at 1.8 kms. I have no restrictions on incidental walking around the house, shops etc.

That's great to hear!! Keep up the good work! You'll be running up the gangplank on your next cruise! 🙂

Cheers

CeeCee

• Like 1