Now for something completely different

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Many years ago we toured Canada and USA in winter (Australian school holidays). For around a month as we travelled in our hire car with the heater on full blast, we all wore thermals and several layers of clothing. We had cans of Coke in the boot that froze causing the cans to open up along the seam in the metal. Toothpaste and shampoo in our luggage also froze.

What part of Canada were you in? Probably not the wet coast (yes I meant wet) here in the Canadian south west we are fortunate that this "Polar vortex" is quite uncommon.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

What part of Canada were you in? Probably not the wet coast (yes I meant wet) here in the Canadian south west we are fortunate that this "Polar vortex" is quite uncommon.

I would guess somewhere near Winnipeg?

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I would guess somewhere near Winnipeg?

Ah yes Winterpeg, I have quite a few friends who are "from" there they are on the wet coast now. As a matter of fact I know a lot of people that are "from" points east and even though it is often wet here we usually don't have to shovel it. 😁

Ah yes Winterpeg, I have quite a few friends who are "from" there they are on the wet coast now. As a matter of fact I know a lot of people that are "from" points east and even though it is often wet here we usually don't have to shovel it. 😁

I had an uncle who lived there for a while before moving to Vancouver and retiring in Victoria. His name was Les Davis but was always called "Turk", why, I don't know. He came here for a visit about 20 years ago and I called him Les, he corrected me and insisted on being called Turk.

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have travelled in Canada and USA a few times. On the occasion I mentioned, we started on the west coast of Canada with Banff and the Icefield Parkway then drove across the northern part of USA to the Niagara Falls, then Montreal and Quebec before we drove down through New York State before touring around USA back to the west coast.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Many years ago we toured Canada and USA in winter (Australian school holidays). For around a month as we travelled in our hire car with the heater on full blast, we all wore thermals and several layers of clothing. We had cans of Coke in the boot that froze causing the cans to open up along the seam in the metal. Toothpaste and shampoo in our luggage also froze.

Toothpaste,wow.

We had many good road trips in the US but nothing frozen.

Ive been reading on trip advisor , that the Motels are being subsided buy the government for the homeless .

The motels have always been a lottery in America ,I always asked to see the room first as I’ve had some bad experiences.

But now some of the reviews are absolutely scary.
Because of the lack of revenue and the clientele the motels are run into the ground.
‘Even some best western plus have scary  reviews.

So it’s Hotels only. Marriott. Hyatt, Hilton.     There goes the budget.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have travelled in Canada and USA a few times. On the occasion I mentioned, we started on the west coast of Canada with Banff and the Icefield Parkway then drove across the northern part of USA to the Niagara Falls, then Montreal and Quebec before we drove down through New York State before touring around USA back to the west coast.

Banff is a whole province away from the coast, I have to guess you flew into Calgary. It was mighty bold to choose that itinerary in winter.

Banff is a whole province away from the coast, I have to guess you flew into Calgary. It was mighty bold to choose that itinerary in winter.

We have driven the circuit around Canada and USA a few times, starting from Vancouver the driving to the east coast, down to Florida, then back to the west coast. The last one was in autumn where we saw the fall colours in the north-east.

On our first trip we did fly into Calgary, the last leg from San Francisco was on Air Canada. Our boys got talking to Canadians sitting near them and told them that none of us had ever seen snow (true!). I think the 'word' spread around the plane about these crazy Aussies. When we landed in Calgary it was -6 or -7C with a blue sky. Gorgeous. We set off driving to Banff where it was -14. We experienced our first falling snow. Fantastic. The next day we drove to Lake Louise then north on the Icefield Parkway. Fantastic. Years later we drove on the Icefield Parkway in summer, but I preferred it in winter. Similarly, Niagara Falls was spectacular in winter. We were able to park right beside the falls. It was -22 and with the windchill factor it was -28. Seriously cold.

• Like 2

No offence intended but I think the Canadians had it right with "Crazy Aussies" 😁

Even the trips in the middle of winter, and there were a couple of them because of our school holidays, were fantastic and memorable. Our three kids had so much fun playing in the snow. On one trip (I think it was the first) we bought a snow saucer (like a toboggan but an easier shape for us to transport). Wow! Didn't they have fun. We brought the saucer home, but haven't had the chance to use it in the three decades since then.

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Even the trips in the middle of winter, and there were a couple of them because of our school holidays, were fantastic and memorable. Our three kids had so much fun playing in the snow. On one trip (I think it was the first) we bought a snow saucer (like a toboggan but an easier shape for us to transport). Wow! Didn't they have fun. We brought the saucer home, but haven't had the chance to use it in the three decades since then.

If I was really nostalgic to play in the snow there is a ski resort 3 hours north from me. I don't even have to leave the Island. I have never gone there in winter. You have seen more of Canada than I have and I have only been to the prairies in winter twice, once in 1977 and once in 1999. That's was enough Canadian winter for me. I'll stick with the South Island lifestyle.😎

Edited by Blackduck59

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If I was really nostalgic to play in the snow there is a ski resort 3 hours north from me. I don't want even have to leave the Island. I have never gone there in winter. You have seen more of Canada than I have and I have only been to the prairies in winter twice, once in 1977 and once in 1999. That's was enough Canadian winter for me. I'll stick with the South Island lifestyle.😎

Your comments make me smile.  My girlfriend in NY feels the same way as you.  She hates the snow and they've had record snow storms this season.  When we arrive in winter, the first thing we all do is make snow angels.  Most of our travels in the US and Canada have been during your winter, our long summer holidays.  We love the winter atmosphere, because we don't have snow.  We have overseas travel boxes of winter clothes, not worn here in sunny Queensland. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Your comments make me smile.  My girlfriend in NY feels the same way as you.  She hates the snow and they've had record snow storms this season.  When we arrive in winter, the first thing we all do is make snow angels.  Most of our travels in the US and Canada have been during your winter, our long summer holidays.  We love the winter atmosphere, because we don't have snow.  We have overseas travel boxes of winter clothes, not worn here in sunny Queensland. 

Where is your friend located in NY.  Like you said we are getting payback for a very snowless winter last year.  Currently getting sleet..ekk.  And a promise of two more snowfalls this week coming up.  I could never understand anyone coming here in this cold weather for a visit.  Most New Yorkers go to the south for the winter.  

Got my Valentine's homemade chocolate hearts to the grandkids today.  Always a great day when I get hugs and kisses from the kids, grandkids, grand dogs and grandcat. Of course, the dog biscuits and cat treats were chocolate free.  

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have driven the circuit around Canada and USA a few times, starting from Vancouver the driving to the east coast, down to Florida, then back to the west coast. The last one was in autumn where we saw the fall colours in the north-east.

On our first trip we did fly into Calgary, the last leg from San Francisco was on Air Canada. Our boys got talking to Canadians sitting near them and told them that none of us had ever seen snow (true!). I think the 'word' spread around the plane about these crazy Aussies. When we landed in Calgary it was -6 or -7C with a blue sky. Gorgeous. We set off driving to Banff where it was -14. We experienced our first falling snow. Fantastic. The next day we drove to Lake Louise then north on the Icefield Parkway. Fantastic. Years later we drove on the Icefield Parkway in summer, but I preferred it in winter. Similarly, Niagara Falls was spectacular in winter. We were able to park right beside the falls. It was -22 and with the windchill factor it was -28. Seriously cold.

That sounds like a great trip.  Baniff had to be cancelled last summer and this summer for us.  No crossing our northern border allowed.  We are doing a three+ week trip starting in South Dakota to Nevada to include many of the canyons this May.  

@Chiliburn we are using two motels outside of the Marriott chain and are concerned about  their condition.  Like you said, without travelers for the most part of 2020, some of the motels have lost their good ratings.  We are staying at a "quaint little 12 room motel" on the edge of Yellowstone.  That one has me a little concerned.  Looks like "See the USA in a Chevrolet" will be our trips for 2021 and maybe 2022..since many countries will continue to ban us.  Australia was to be our last international trip (not counting Aruba timeshare).  Sorry we only finished three out of the six weeks.  We didn't check off some of our must sees!

1 minute ago, BRANDEE said:

That sounds like a great trip.  Baniff had to be cancelled last summer and this summer for us.  No crossing our northern border allowed.  We are doing a three+ week trip starting in South Dakota to Nevada to include many of the canyons this May.  

@Chiliburn we are using two motels outside of the Marriott chain and are concerned about  their condition.  Like you said, without travelers for the most part of 2020, some of the motels have lost their good ratings.  We are staying at a "quaint little 12 room motel" on the edge of Yellowstone.  That one has me a little concerned.  Looks like "See the USA in a Chevrolet" will be our trips for 2021 and maybe 2022..since many countries will continue to ban us.  Australia was to be our last international trip (not counting Aruba timeshare).  Sorry we only finished three out of the six weeks.  We didn't check off some of our must sees!

When international travel starts again, you must come back to Australia and see the rest of the places on your must see list.

Hey @BRANDEEI think that there will be a much more organized response on your side of the border now and as a Canadian I can hope that we will get the vaccine supply issues sorted sooner than later. I don't think t our border will be closed forever so your visit to the Canadian Rockies is still possible. Of course if time permits and you find yourself in Victoria BC I would be happy to show you around, I could even make a batch of that chowder for you.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey @BRANDEEI think that there will be a much more organized response on your side of the border now and as a Canadian I can hope that we will get the vaccine supply issues sorted sooner than later. I don't think t our border will be closed forever so your visit to the Canadian Rockies is still possible. Of course if time permits and you find yourself in Victoria BC I would be happy to show you around, I could even make a batch of that chowder for you.

Things are looking a little better here in NY.  Much to the efforts of our governor who is very unpopular for his shutdowns etc. Our new leader in charge is very hands on and hopefully the vaccine will continue to be a positive in getting many cities in the right direction.  Of course, there are many states that follow the trump rule.."Nothing wrong with us", attitude.  

We had a tour to Baniff last July, that was pushed to this July (the same price) but pushing it one more year conflicts with our 50th anniversary family trip. Still hoping to get there eventually before we get too old to do the touring.  

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

With good research there’s some good small motels.

Some of the nice mom and dad motels we have stayed at over the years are shocking with the reviews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Where is your friend located in NY.  Like you said we are getting payback for a very snowless winter last year.  Currently getting sleet..ekk.  And a promise of two more snowfalls this week coming up.  I could never understand anyone coming here in this cold weather for a visit.  Most New Yorkers go to the south for the winter.  

Got my Valentine's homemade chocolate hearts to the grandkids today.  Always a great day when I get hugs and kisses from the kids, grandkids, grand dogs and grandcat. Of course, the dog biscuits and cat treats were chocolate free.  

My girlfriend and family currently live in Monroe, NY, but she was born in Brooklyn, where I first stayed. Yes she dreams of living below the snowline, but her family live in Monroe.  My girlfriend from Boston spends the winters in Florida.  

Glad you enjoyed a great day delivering your Valentine treats.  

• Like 1

I just had notice of a couple of likes from someone who is reading posts on this thread from page 3. It reminded me of how helpful so many of you were back then. Although I'm once again cautiously optimistic that we will be able to do our trip next January the plans have changed and I will be calling on suggestions for accommodations again. This time we are hoping to actually meet some of the friends we have met on these boards and the Australian land portion starts in Sydney and ends in Melbourne. Of course our first taste of OZ will be in Tassie as the cruise does stop there.

As before we are planning this assuming that the trip is a go. As everyone knows by now I am aware that the Pandemic situation is fluid on both end of the Pacific so no suggestions about how we will be in quarantine (we had that discussion already). 

I will be going back to the early pages and seeing what was suggested there. We have gone back to the road trip between Sydney and Melbourne so that has to be planned. Car hire, overnight stops places to see with our limited time