Now for something completely different

Hey Lyndon, I have seen some footage of them. I think they are amazing but...I don't like them. I'm sorry but I think the America's Cup should be with single hull displacement boats, I didn't like the cats either. I liked the 12 meter formula. I have nothing against foils, they are cool but not for the "America's Cup". Just my opinion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Lyndon, I have seen some footage of them. I think they are amazing but...I don't like them. I'm sorry but I think the America's Cup should be with single hull displacement boats, I didn't like the cats either. I liked the 12 meter formula. I have nothing against foils, they are cool but not for the "America's Cup". Just my opinion.

We had a short sail on one of the old 12 metre America's Cup boats once in Auckland Harbour. They encouraged everyone to help sail the boat. I had the helm for a couple of tacks. It was amazing. We'd just done some sailing courses in a small yacht. The way the America's Cup boat handled was like comparing a high end sports car to a mini. You could feel the responses of the boat through the soles of your feet.

As much as I liked the tactics involved in yacht sailing it's the sponsors who call the tune. Old style yacht racing is IMO boring to the general public. To make big dollars the sponsors need a big audience and an audience of sailing tragics is not big enough. Excitement is what the punters want and craft, such as these new foil machines, is what brings them in.

It makes me wonder if, in the future, the technology can be applied to powered vessels like cruise ships - faster, smoother. I believe technology is being used now in relation to reduction in surface tension and use of stabilizers.  Watch this space, as they say.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

It makes me wonder if, in the future, the technology can be applied to powered vessels like cruise ships - faster, smoother. I believe technology is being used now in relation to reduction in surface tension and use of stabilizers.  Watch this space, as they say.

As an old sailor from way back, I have often pondered why cruise ships aren’t built on a Cat platform, I think Bob Clifford from Incat in Tasmania has certainly show that there is a ton of potential. I guess the question is, how far can it be scaled up. 

32 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

As an old sailor from way back, I have often pondered why cruise ships aren’t built on a Cat platform, I think Bob Clifford from Incat in Tasmania has certainly show that there is a ton of potential. I guess the question is, how far can it be scaled up. 

It may be because there is less room in the hulls of a Cat than there is in a monohull. That space is valuable for crew quarters and storage.

So we were out at the grocery store and I came across a bag of frozen Peruvian scallops 454 grams for $10.00. I realized there was nothing for supper so scallops was the choice. I seared them in a hot pan then transferred them to a pan with brown butter and deglazed the sear pan everything into the brown butter pan and viola scallop brown butter sauce. I served it with rice and steamed carrots. I had some left over bearnaise sauce so I put some of that on the carrots. The scallops were very good for the price (not a good as Digby scallops from Nova Scotia but good).

scallops2.thumb.jpg.261c84af05a1a2a9870ed48875394dde.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It may be because there is less room in the hulls of a Cat than there is in a monohull. That space is valuable for crew quarters and storage.

I think you may be right, but I would have thought the benefits in economy would outweigh that, but hey they know their business better than I do, the ships may need to be wider too, to get maximum benefit which could restrict berthing.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Hi @BRANDEE glad you thought my dinner was okay.

Did I read right that you got your vaccine today and it's your birthday?

Yes my birthday celebration today with my kids.  I hit that number that sounded so friggin old only a few years ago (70).  Where did the time go...Regarding the vaccine..so yesterday there was a big release of new appointments, so I called to get an earlier one for my husband (his was March 31)..and we were able to get a b2b2b.  Daughter in law (teacher)..hubby and me..all for Saturday the sixth.  Since the location is not near, I gave up today's appointment so we all can go together for both first and second dose.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's excellent BRANDEE, Happy Birthday I hope you had a great day and someone else prepared all your favourite menu items.

Today was one of those "can't get any better" days.  Just smiled all day being with my 2 sons, daughters in law and four grandchildren, plus my furry grandchildren.. a golden retriever and a black lab..only Lisa the Tabby stayed home.  Hubby wouldn't let me cook (except for my homemade mac and cheese) so take out from a great BBQ place.  Southern fried chicken, BBQ ribs and grilled shrimp (plus Qcumber salad and cole slaw).  And a delicious birthday cake made by my 11 year old granddaughter!!  We played poker, Uno Attack and Shut the Box.

No matter how bad things are in the world, being with them is a blessing and I am very lucky that they live so close.  I pray for a better world for my grandchildren! 

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Yes my birthday celebration today with my kids.  I hit that number that sounded so friggin old only a few years ago (70).  Where did the time go...Regarding the vaccine..so yesterday there was a big release of new appointments, so I called to get an earlier one for my husband (his was March 31)..and we were able to get a b2b2b.  Daughter in law (teacher)..hubby and me..all for Saturday the sixth.  Since the location is not near, I gave up today's appointment so we all can go together for both first and second dose.   

Happy birthday😁. I am glad to hear that you have more convenient appointments for the vaccine. Here in Australia we are hearing about problems with supplies coming from overseas. Our projected dates for the start of vaccinations has already been pushed back from early/mid February to late February. I wonder if it will have to be pushed back further.

Of course, our Opposition in Federal Parliament is blaming the government, but what can they do if the manufacturer refuses to ship the vaccines or delays shipment. The Fed government isn't making the vaccines.

• Like 1

Sounds like an excellent day @BRANDEE. Things are looking up, you have timely vaccination appointments, a great birthday and a new leader (I suspect that may be why you got the timely Vaccination). As your new pilot takes you out of the spiral dive you have been in for the last 4 years. Cheers😎

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Happy birthday😁. I am glad to hear that you have more convenient appointments for the vaccine. Here in Australia we are hearing about problems with supplies coming from overseas. Our projected dates for the start of vaccinations has already been pushed back from early/mid February to late February. I wonder if it will have to be pushed back further.

Of course, our Opposition in Federal Parliament is blaming the government, but what can they do if the manufacturer refuses to ship the vaccines or delays shipment. The Fed government isn't making the vaccines.

Thank You for the Birthday wishes!

Vaccination distribution is crazy in the US.  So unorganized.  There was no plan of action by the federal government until two weeks ago.  We have 50 states all doing 50 different things.  The CDC has guidelines but not all are following or doing a good job. 

A friend in St Paul, Minnesota told me hardly any state received doses have been give out yet.  Here in NYC we are already into weeks 5/6 with many getting the second dose 2/3 week ago.  We have a great shortage here in NYC, because they opened too many phases all at the same time and too many people (including me) trying for days/weeks to get an appointment. 

Production of doses is stepping up..but with a population of 333million people, production is not fast enough.  And without getting to 70% of the population, vaccine immunity will not be a success.  Extremely difficult task for the US as well as the world!

Oh dear, i just had 4 days at Riverview in Lane Cove, Sydney, with my son. So much traffic and so many people. Went on a pub crawl of darling harbour with my son and 4 of his mates on friday, 2pm to 8pm, pump house, japanese beer stadium. Just getting over it. Not used to paying $60 for a round of 5=drinks and $50 for a uber or taxi, syd to lane cove, welcome to the real world Les. I have been out of Sydney 16 years, you can keep it.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we were out at the grocery store and I came across a bag of frozen Peruvian scallops 454 grams for $10.00. I realized there was nothing for supper so scallops was the choice. I seared them in a hot pan then transferred them to a pan with brown butter and deglazed the sear pan everything into the brown butter pan and viola scallop brown butter sauce. I served it with rice and steamed carrots. I had some left over bearnaise sauce so I put some of that on the carrots. The scallops were very good for the price (not a good as Digby scallops from Nova Scotia but good).

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ah, ye olde Peruvian tucker, goodcstuff and well cooked Lyle. One day i will tell you about my peruvian adventures, having been there 4 times as my son lived there 4 years, building his company.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Oh dear, i just had 4 days at Riverview in Lane Cove, Sydney, with my son. So much traffic and so many people. Went on a pub crawl of darling harbour with my son and 4 of his mates on friday, 2pm to 8pm, pump house, japanese beer stadium. Just getting over it. Not used to paying $60 for a round of 5=drinks and $50 for a uber or taxi, syd to lane cove, welcome to the real world Les. I have been out of Sydney 16 years, you can keep it.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your trip. We've never had to pay that much for an Uber, usually around $35, but taxis are more expensive. Drinks are expensive in city places like Darling Harbour too. We rarely go into the city these days. 

Did you get to go to Sugarlane?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your trip. We've never had to pay that much for an Uber, usually around $35, but taxis are more expensive. Drinks are expensive in city places like Darling Harbour too. We rarely go into the city these days. 

Did you get to go to Sugarlane?

No went to En Casa thursday night as owner Pachi and maria were off to gold coast re another restaurant, en casa stayingopen. Had dinner with owners and son and family.  My daughter in law has a second hand clothes shop  there now, up market. Sugar lane next time. Canopy area is great. Shops, green space.

Edited by NSWP