Now for something completely different

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie so I think we will plan for Sydney to Canberra for the first hop, if Mic and Rosie are home and want to get together that would be cool. then down to Bateman's bay (hopefully Les will be around).

Next stop Eden or should we overnight a little closer to Phillip Island?

Batemans Bay to Eden is 3 hrs, but make it 4 with a couple of quick stops. Half a dozen motels in Eden. Iam in Merimbula, SapphireWaters Motor Inn, not bad, 3.5 stars,that is what you get down here. No Hilton or Marriott, Lyle.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We already have an invite from Les but I really don't want to invite myself to meet Mic assuming that the world travelers that he and his lovely wife would be in Canberra in early February next year.

How far from Sydney to Canberra?

It’s freeway all the way from Sydney to Canberra ,that will settle you into driving.I like the drive.

You should be there about lunch, mic will organise a tour of Parliament House by the prime minister.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we actually got the calendar out and have the dates down. I'm sure we will be short changed on time at all stops. Here is my "first draft" of the road trip, starting point is Sydney and we are heading for Victoria. The first leg is to Batehaven or there abouts. I'm thinking we may do 2 nights around there, we could do Canberra as well on that stop. Next stop Eden. Now we have a bit of a conundrum as Philip Island is too far from Eden for a single hop so suggestions for a suitable overnight on the way. From there we will stop at Philip Island and then on towards Geelong, we had a place booked in Wallington for the trip that didn't happen. Then it is The Great Ocean Road to Port Campbell, from there we drive to Ballarat where we plan to stay at Craig's Royal Hotel (assuming it is still in business) that is our "splurge" hotel stay. From there it is on to Melbourne where we will have a few days. We fly home from there. All of the Oz adventure is quite flexible, The itinerary for the cruise is set but what to do at the stops in New Zealand is open to suggestions. The cruise starts in Auckland, first stop Bay of Islands, then Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin then we cruise through Dusky, Doubtful and Milford sounds. The last stop before the end of the cruise in Sydney is Hobart.

So now that we are back where I started on this thread, input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Lyle

I like your ports of call on your NZ cruise.  I hope you plan to stay a few days in Sydney before your land travels south.  There is so much to see and do in Sydney. Before the virus, I used to visit Sydney several times a year and I never tire of the beautiful beaches, harbour, walks, theatre, museum, art gallery, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I like your ports of call on your NZ cruise.  I hope you plan to stay a few days in Sydney before your land travels south.  There is so much to see and do in Sydney. Before the virus, I used to visit Sydney several times a year and I never tire of the beautiful beaches, harbour, walks, theatre, museum, art gallery, etc. 

Like I said at the outset we have little time in any one place. I think it will be 2 nights in Sydney (not nearly enough time) We hope that Julie would be open to a get together and any of the regulars who may be in the area. We arrive in Sydney on the 28th of January 2022.

38 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie so I think we will plan for Sydney to Canberra for the first hop, if Mic and Rosie are home and want to get together that would be cool. then down to Bateman's bay (hopefully Les will be around).

Sounds good, let us know when, if we are here, would love to meet up.

Canberra is approximately 3 to 3.5 hour drive from Sydney.  There are also buses from Central station or the airport numerous times a day (same type of duration from $36pp ).  The train also comes here from Central (4.5 hours from $45).

From Canberra to Eden is around 3 hours.

From Canberra to Batemans Bay is around 2 hours.

Batemans Bay is  hours from Eden.

Eden to Phillip Island is 6.5 hours, Maybe a stop at Lakes Entrance would be nice, it is approx half way.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds good, let us know when.

Canberra is approximately 3 to 3.5 hour drive from Sydney.  There are also buses from Central station or the airport numerous times a day (same type of duration from $36pp ).  The train also comes here from Central (4.5 hours from $45).

From Canberra to Eden is around 3 hours.

Eden to Phillip Island is 6.5 hours, Maybe a stop at Lakes Entrance would be nice, it is approx half way.

Thanks Mic, we will be hiring a car for the road trip, It will be interesting driving on the wrong side of the road 😉. We may hire a car for the day at one of the port stops in NZ just to get an idea. We are finally starting to get motivated with the planning, it was feeling very much like "why bother" until now. 

If Lyle is strapped for time, he could avoid coastal route and I can come overto Canberra. Then he can stick to Sesame st ..aka hume hwy.

Now Lyle you will not be on the wrong side of the road, you will be on the left, which is the right side.🤣

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

If Lyle is strapped for time, he could avoid coastal route and I can come overto Canberra. Then he can stick to Sesame st ..aka hume hwy.

Not really pressed for time Les, it's not about point A to point B as quick as possible. I think the coastal route would be preferable for us. Now all we need to do is find a good GF bakery in Canberra so you can have some fresh treats when we arrive.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not really pressed for time Les, it's not about point A to point B as quick as possible. I think the coastal route would be preferable for us. Now all we need to do is find a good GF bakery in Canberra so you can have some fresh treats when we arrive.

But if you are going to Canberra and stiil want to do the scenic route, I wont be coming over the mountain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mallacoota, which is off the main highway but which has (or used to have) an excellent Chinese restaurant. Mallacoota is about 3.5 hours from Bateman's Bay without stops, and about 6 hours to Cowes on Philip Island.

Another option would be Lakes Entrance which is just over 5 hours drive from Bateman's Bay without stops, and just under 4 hours to Cowes.

How long were you planning to spend in Canberra?

There are many interesting things in and around there. Old and new parliament houses, national gallery, war memorial complex, institute of sport (but has had savage $$ cuts). Tidbinbilla deep space station and Honeysuckle Creek are about 40k outside (watch The Dish).

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The coastal route south of Sydney to the Vic border is really beautiful, with national parks, beaches, wildlife, etc.  I saw kangaroos on the beaches and in towns at two places.  I also saw whales at Eden really close to the shore, but it was in November.  You might like to consider planning for two night stops, driving one day, enjoying the beaches, national parks, town the next, before moving on to the next place. 

So if we left Bateman's bay in the morning we could stop in Eden for a bit and then overnight at Lakes Entrance. That would make a more pleasant drive to Philip Island.

Another reason for choosing the road trip is maybe our small amount of business will help some of the communities hit by the fires. I have to think that the double whammy of the fire and Covid continues to make people's lives hard there.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So if we left Bateman's bay in the morning we could stop in Eden for a bit and then overnight at Lakes Entrance. That would make a more pleasant drive to Philip Island.

Another reason for choosing the road trip is maybe our small amount of business will help some of the communities hit by the fires. I have to think that the double whammy of the fire and Covid continues to make people's lives hard there.

Yes, that would work very well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

How long were you planning to spend in Canberra?

There are many interesting things in and around there. Old and new parliament houses, national gallery, war memorial complex, institute of sport (but has had savage $$ cuts). Tidbinbilla deep space station and Honeysuckle Creek are about 40k outside (watch The Dish).

So much to see in NATCAP. Even costco and ikea.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lakes Entrance is a great town to stop at Lyle. One of our favourite family holidays when our children were growing up was spent there. There is a variety of accommodation at both Lakes Entrance and Phillip Island.

Leigh

Thanks everyone for all the input so far, Looks like we have are set up to Philip Island.

After a couple days in Sydney we will hire a car and drive to Canberra for an overnight there (Mic we would appreciate recommendations for accommodation, nice not posh). We will proceed to Bateman's bay and overnight there. The next leg is via Eden with the overnight at Lakes Entrance, from there we will proceed to Phillip Island, I think that may be 2 nights. I have read some rumours that the Moto GP may switch time slots with the F1 race in 2022 (just a rumour for me Lyndon I know you follow the bikes is there any traction on that move?) if so that may cause a bit of difficulty for accommodation at Phillip Island. I would love to see the track, maybe something local will be happening.

Now we need to work out the last part of the road trip. From Phillip Island we will head towards Geelong (on the map it looks like a manageable hop) we had a place booked for the trip that got cancelled and we may try to book that again (assuming they are still in business). Then it is off to Port Campbell via the great ocean road, on the cancelled itinerary we were coming from Ballarat to Port Campbell and we were staying 2 nights in Port Campbell. That my go down to 1 night to give us more time in Melbourne. From Port Campbell it's off to Ballarat for 1 night at Craig Royal Hotel (our splurge night) From Ballarat we will drive to Melbourne. 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks everyone for all the input so far, Looks like we have are set up to Philip Island.

After a couple days in Sydney we will hire a car and drive to Canberra for an overnight there (Mic we would appreciate recommendations for accommodation, nice not posh). We will proceed to Bateman's bay and overnight there. The next leg is via Eden with the overnight at Lakes Entrance, from there we will proceed to Phillip Island, I think that may be 2 nights. I have read some rumours that the Moto GP may switch time slots with the F1 race in 2022 (just a rumour for me Lyndon I know you follow the bikes is there any traction on that move?) if so that may cause a bit of difficulty for accommodation at Phillip Island. I would love to see the track, maybe something local will be happening.

Now we need to work out the last part of the road trip. From Phillip Island we will head towards Geelong (on the map it looks like a manageable hop) we had a place booked for the trip that got cancelled and we may try to book that again (assuming they are still in business). Then it is off to Port Campbell via the great ocean road, on the cancelled itinerary we were coming from Ballarat to Port Campbell and we were staying 2 nights in Port Campbell. That my go down to 1 night to give us more time in Melbourne. From Port Campbell it's off to Ballarat for 1 night at Craig Royal Hotel (our splurge night) From Ballarat we will drive to Melbourne. 

In Sydney we found the Big Bus two day pass a great way to see alot.  Day one is the city route and Day two the Bondi route.  Hop on/off at whatever you want to see.  Or just do one day bus tour and go on an all day Blue Mountain tour. Highly recommend !

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Mic, we will be hiring a car for the road trip, It will be interesting driving on the wrong side of the road 😉. We may hire a car for the day at one of the port stops in NZ just to get an idea. We are finally starting to get motivated with the planning, it was feeling very much like "why bother" until now. 

Do all your planning and research but only book if you can cancel without fees.

Have you thought about taking the car ferry from Sorento to Queenscliffe, across Port Phillip Bay.?

Also if you are interested in seeing koalas in the wild - best we have ever experienced was down the Cape Otway Rd on The GOR. ( nearly 1 in every tree).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

After a couple days in Sydney we will hire a car and drive to Canberra for an overnight there (Mic we would appreciate recommendations for accommodation, nice not posh). We will proceed to Bateman's bay and overnight there.

We have a spare queen bed you use, Rosie and I would be very happy to host you and your lovely wife. Note, That at this stage, we are away mid January and also in March.

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Do all your planning and research but only book if you can cancel without fees.

Thanks Mic, that's what we did last time. We had everything booked and when we cancelled there was no problem except of course Air New Zealand. When we had to cancel before, I sent personal emails to all the places apologizing for cancelling. I think we will try to re-book the same places, those were all through booking dot com.

Edited by Blackduck59

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Did you check how much the one way car hire fee is   Lyle ?

I haven't checked that out but it will just come under "the  cost of doing business" we will be comparing the car hire companies for price and what is in their fleet, we're hoping someone will have Subaru Foresters, we have one here, they have great fuel economy and very comfy seats.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I haven't checked that out but it will just come under "the  cost of doing business" we will be comparing the car hire companies for price and what is in their fleet, we're hoping someone will have Subaru Foresters, we have one here, they have great fuel economy and very comfy seats.

I would check it out it could be $800 I’ve seen reports of more.

You May have to go to plan `C’.

Do a loop from Sydney, fly to Melbourne and do a loop.

Flights for sydney to Melbourne are worth nothing.

• Thanks 1