Now for something completely different

4 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Pretty good shape for an old geezer.  He uses a Peleton bike for exercise.  That's how he kept climbing those steps. 

He certainly hit the ground running after the inauguration. Good on him! It will be a long and hard battle for recovery for all of America but at least you've got a serious fighting chance with Joe at the helm and Kamala to back him up.😘

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Pretty good shape for an old geezer.  He uses a Peleton bike for exercise.  That's how he kept climbing those steps. 

His wife - The First Lady looks younger, what age is she? Looks in good nick. (condition.)

Not sure I like his change in terminology.

I spent many years there as a legal alien, now to lose my identity.

09AE1317-1731-4583-884B-9D176180DC3F.thumb.png.9e6e7ee2c039d0f989ba2e6e5cb648dd.png

Word that Biden wants to ban

c41bc5c1ad327434b9746f3e337141ad?s=30&d=
Benjamin Graham

Joe Biden wants to stop calling US immigrants “aliens” as part of his sweeping immigration bill.

If passed, the bill would remove the word "alien" from US immigration laws, replacing it with the term "noncitizen." 

The term, "illegal alien” has long been used in US immigration laws despite condemnation from some – who see it as dehumanising .

Mr Biden's move is intended to recognise America as "a nation of immigrants," according to a summary of the bill released by the new administration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

09AE1317-1731-4583-884B-9D176180DC3F.thumb.png.9e6e7ee2c039d0f989ba2e6e5cb648dd.png

Benjamin Graham

Joe Biden wants to stop calling US immigrants “aliens” as part of his sweeping immigration bill.

If passed, the bill would remove the word "alien" from US immigration laws, replacing it with the term "noncitizen." 

The term, "illegal alien” has long been used in US immigration laws despite condemnation from some – who see it as dehumanising .

Mr Biden's move is intended to recognise America as "a nation of immigrants," according to a summary of the bill released by the new administration.

They are going to have to make some more sitcoms because the entertainment is over.

I wonder if jerry Seinfeld is available 

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

@BRANDEE

Who stole the show?

I think it was a toss up between Lady Gaga and Kate Perry.

I say Kate Perry.

Kate Perry and those fireworks were fabulous!  Lady Gaga sang a great rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and it was very emotional.  I have to give Kate the slight edge for the fireworks!!  I lived in DC when my husband was in "training" for one of the federal alphabet agencies. The fireworks must have outrageous over the sky.

Amanda Gorman' was also wonderful!!

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Benjamin Graham

Never occurred to me to have to change the terminology.  I have always been the granddaughter of immigrants, never used aliens. My four grandparents were immigrants from Italy. 

Interesting  immigrants or aliens..... other people.....

or home is where you live

The BH both her parents were born in different countries

Myself my  grandparents were born in a different country 

and unless you believe MIB

I don't think you have many people from a different world.

At work in our department, we had people from the UK, Cuba, Malaysia, Iran, Poland, Bangladesh, Croatia, Sicily, and a few born in Australia

But Marvin   is an alien  with a Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Don...... where is the Kaboom

6 minutes ago, mr walker said:

This is really a first few days priority?

I can see why though. The term "alien" implies that a person will always be different and not part of their new home country. It is divisive. Biden wants to unite the country as much as possible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mr walker said:

This is really a first few days priority?

It is one part of a very major re-write of the immigration bill, not a standalone action.

People with Greend Cards, permanent residents are also permanent aliens.

However, as someone who was a non-resident alien there for quite a few years, I like the change, it is a demeaning term.

It is used on all sorts of documentation, letters, forms, etc.  Renew the visa — non-resident alien says the official letter. Taxes, non-resident alien category. 

Just as a simple legal example, here is the tax department

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-examples

• Like 1

Well today we were supposed to be at sea on our cruise, instead I was at the dentist again 🤔 then Lynn had a hair appointment so I got to sit in the car for an hour waiting for her so really not a fair trade. On the bright side by the time Lynn was finished with her hair it was an excuse for dinner out. We decided to go for Korean food, at least it is billed as such. Having never been to Asia let alone Korea. We really enjoyed our meal, We had kimchi and pork dumplings and spring rolls to start, we have had those in the past and they are quite good. We decided to try the "Korean fried chicken" what a pleasant surprise crispy boneless chicken bites with a subtly spicy sauce with a bit of sweetness. Lynn had the Bulgogi bibim bab, I had the Bulgogi hot pot.

• Like 1

So we tried another offering from a new heat and eat menu from one of our grocery stores. It's an interesting concept the food is fully cooked and comes in vacuum packed bags all packaged in a tidy box. Tonight was stuffed pork loin with apple and pear compote, potatoes and squash. Everything was cooked perfectly, and the portions were large, We even had left over potatoes, squash and sauce.

Dinner for two $25.00 ready in about 15 minutes including heating the water.325559748_porkloinfor2.thumb.jpg.9f53756d8edb8fc67f58f580be23549d.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

And this is what it was like on the plate

1955958010_Porkloinplate.thumb.jpg.e92b0cd92b6d393304f8a6aacbbe82cb.jpg

The slice of pork was about 25mm thick

When you say squash is that what we would call pumpkin? What's on your plate doesn't look like what I see at the fruit and veg shop 🤔

31 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

When you say squash is that what we would call pumpkin? What's on your plate doesn't look like what I see at the fruit and veg shop 🤔

Pumpkins here are rather large gourds most commonly with an orange skin (not unlike a former leader 😁) what was in the dinner package was some variety of winter squash but I don't know which one, it was prepared with the skin on, unfortunately that meant Lynn wasn't very enthusiastic to eat it. I'll have it with another meal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

It looks a bit like butternut squash, or something similar.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It looks yummy, Lyle.

I liked everything on the plate. This was the second meal we tried, the first was Beef Bourguignon which was very tasty and quite a large portion. That was a bit of a leap of faith as that was $35.00 but we felt it was worth it.

I think I found a picture of the squash and it may be Delicata.