Now for something completely different

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Sounds pretty good Lyle.   I like to cook.

I wanted to open a restaurant when I was a kid and make all my grandma's dishes..but I ended up becoming a teacher and principal.  My cousin Eleanor did exactly that..she had a restaurant

in Manhattan called "Mom's" and she used all grandma and my aunts recipes.  Recently, I started writing down family recipes but told my daughter in laws that they have to come over and cook it with me..most don't have any specific measurements.  I learned from grandma and it was a pinch, a handful, and cook till it is done...lol   (of course, all in her beautiful "broken" English)

• Like 2

Best way to cook Brandee, no two batches are exactly the same. I did work in a fine dining restaurant right out of high school but as it turns out I'm also a very capable woodworker and Journeyman Joiners make way more than cooks. I learned a lot about cooking from watching "The Galloping Gourmet" when I was a kid and my mom was an excellent cook. She was very young (13 years) when her mom died and she was suddenly having to cook for the family. She learned from her Grandmothers who live in a little house across from the main house on the farm. That is my German half, and mom made some dishes that were a little uncommon...peasant food but very tasty. I learned how to make them from her but mine were never as good. She didn't make them often so every time was special. She passed just before Christmas so now I'm on my own for those things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Best way to cook Brandee, no two batches are exactly the same. I did work in a fine dining restaurant right out of high school but as it turns out I'm also a very capable woodworker and Journeyman Joiners make way more than cooks. I learned a lot about cooking from watching "The Galloping Gourmet" when I was a kid and my mom was an excellent cook. She was very young (13 years) when her mom died and she was suddenly having to cook for the family. She learned from her Grandmothers who live in a little house across from the main house on the farm. That is my German half, and mom made some dishes that were a little uncommon...peasant food but very tasty. I learned how to make them from her but mine were never as good. She didn't make them often so every time was special. She passed just before Christmas so now I'm on my own for those things.

So sorry for your loss.  Glad you learned from her to keep her with you.  When I cook grandma's special dishes I talk to her and laugh..Knowing she would never do some of the shortcuts I have developed along the way.  I can hear her telling me..Gristine..no no no!  My mom went back to work when I was nine, so I learned to cook very young and grandma lived downstairs to guide me.  My husband says he married me for my cooking..So romantic!! haha   

BTW..hubby and I got our first dose of Pfizer vaccine, yesterday.  He started getting a reaction today (Mild chills and tired)  so far nothing for me..keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2021 at 10:04 AM, lyndarra said:

Yesterday I made a booking, the first in yonks. Not a cruise but to see Hamilton in April.

Making more bookings.

Myall Shores, Myall Lake 26/27/28 Feb Windsurfing & Slalom & GPS event. Not competing - not good enough.

Bingara 20/21/22 May Yamaha FJ Owners rally

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Making more bookings.

Myall Shores, Myall Lake 26/27/28 Feb Windsurfing & Slalom & GPS event. Not competing - not good enough.

Bingara 20/21/22 May Yamaha FJ Owners rally

Enjoy making plans for your holidays.  I know Myall Lake, a beautiful place, but not Bingara, so have just spent an enjoyable time researching Bingara and the Region.  

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we have had 3 days of below zero weather and are now expecting a bit of snow (15 to 25 cm) overnight. We have a nice fire in the fireplace, it keeps the house cozy warm.

Brrrr! We've had a few nice, warm, sunny days but today is rainy and cool. It's been the coolest summer I can remember in Sydney in 25 years. It's been quite wet too but not the usual sort of Sydney wet which is a thunderstorms in the evenings after a warm day.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Brrrr! We've had a few nice, warm, sunny days but today is rainy and cool. It's been the coolest summer I can remember in Sydney in 25 years. It's been quite wet too but not the usual sort of Sydney wet which is a thunderstorms in the evenings after a warm day.

Mild down here today and overcast, 20C. Might put a cardy on.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Just to Mrs Gut this morning that it has been a mild summer, only a handful of days that hit 40°. But we have had a few (Ok more than just a few) very muggy days.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Just to Mrs Gut this morning that it has been a mild summer, only a handful of days that hit 40°. But we have had a few (Ok more than just a few) very muggy days.

I don't think Melbourne has had a 40 this summer, only a few in the low 30s and perhaps one or 2 in the mid to high 30s. Quite a few humid days though. Cool here today, about 20.

Leigh

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Still some summer to go mate, March will be 🥵 

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I haven't been in my pool at all this summer. It used to be great in the evening for cooling off before going to bed.

Went windsurfing this arvo and wore my wetsuit due to wind chill. The water is still very warm. Didn't stay out long as it was a bit too windy.

Well we are about 10 cm of snow and it is actively snowing now 😟

Snow is not our friend here, unlike many parts of Canada snow is uncommon here and people are not prepared for it. Road crews do their best but we don't really keep enough equiptment on hand to do the job quickly.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we are about 10 cm of snow and it is actively snowing now 😟

Snow is not our friend here, unlike many parts of Canada snow is uncommon here and people are not prepared for it. Road crews do their best but we don't really keep enough equiptment on hand to do the job quickly.

Friends in Oklahoma said it was down to -44 the other day.

I wonder if we will be getting a cold winter?

Still snowing. Oklahoma is a long way from here, almost as far as Sydney to Perth. I'm not sure what the weather is usually like there but this year for only the 3rd time in recorded history that all of Canada was below zero and that lasted 3 days. Below zero is very uncommon here.

this is the front yard about 20 minutes ago.

90410002_frontyard.thumb.jpg.42510297ef8570aead583b2917fd437f.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

And this is the back yard

1808973864_backyard.thumb.jpg.021bcb02106ac9c44ff77f29c2716cfa.jpg

Oklahoma is a long way from here too Lyle.

Looks attractive,I suppose you would get sick of it after a couple of days.

First thing that comes to mind when I see the ice is you could just keep the beer outside.

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What if you left a 6 pack out on the cold they would burst?

There no way I would live there !!!

Many years ago we toured Canada and USA in winter (Australian school holidays). For around a month as we travelled in our hire car with the heater on full blast, we all wore thermals and several layers of clothing. We had cans of Coke in the boot that froze causing the cans to open up along the seam in the metal. Toothpaste and shampoo in our luggage also froze.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Of course with this weather a nice hot rum is a better choice, hot chocolate with Bailey's or Amaretto would work too. Lynn would do something with coffee. I don't think I have the appropriate libations for Blueberry Tea.

Apres ski we would enjoy a warm gluwein.

• Like 1