Now for something completely different

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

We would call that Butternut squash here. Pumpkins here are what we call Jack-o-lanterns out of around here. My Aunt used to grow the giant variety some were over 900 pounds.

Here, pumpkin, including the butternut variety, are very popular with a Sunday roast.

8 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Lyle they call this butternut pumpkin here

Yes, that's what most people call them although they are officially butternut squash. They are slightly sweeter than most pumpkins and so make the best pumpkin pies but don't tell the Americans that. 🤣

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that's what most people call them although they are officially butternut squash. They are slightly sweeter than most pumpkins and so make the best pumpkin pies but don't tell the Americans that. 🤣

And I think they make the best pumpkin soup too.

Leigh

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

And I think they make the best pumpkin soup too.

Leigh

They can sometimes be a bit too sweet for soup, to my taste anyway, but they are certainly easier to deal with than some types of pumpkin. 

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They make delicious soup and ravioli.  Now I will try it for pie...😊

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. I make a superb pumpkin soup. Butternut pumpkins are the best, but I sometimes use a Queensland blue.

I have used other types as well, but prefer butternut. Depending on how much time I will sometimes roast the pumpkin first.

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I have used other types as well, but prefer butternut. Depending on how much time I will sometimes roast the pumpkin first.

Leigh

Yes I often make butternut "squash" soup and almost always roast it first, I use a middle eastern spice blend call raz al hanoot (don't know if that is how you spell it but that's how it sounds). I like to finish it with a little swirl of cream on top in the bowl when I serve it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

They make delicious soup and ravioli.  Now I will try it for pie...😊

Peel it, wrap chunks of it in foil, and bake it in a moderate -low oven until soft. You don't want it to brown. Then puree it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I can’t stand pumpkin soup, Mrs Gut loves it, so I roast the butternut pumpkin, seeds and all, first, I also add ginger to counteract the sweetness, always gets me brownie points when I make it for her, then she will take some to school for a day or two if I make enough

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah I have been known to get a potato scallop, a sweet potato scallop and a butternut pumpkin scallop, a complete meal.

Even better if it's in tempura batter. With eggplant, zucchini, and a prawn or two.

8 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I can’t stand pumpkin soup, Mrs Gut loves it, so I roast the butternut pumpkin, seeds and all, first, I also add ginger to counteract the sweetness, always gets me brownie points when I make it for her, then she will take some to school for a day or two if I make enough

I usually roast whole onions and garlic with the pumpkin and add a little nutmeg to the soup. A friend who was a caterer always did that with his pumpkin soup and it was always wonderful.

Leigh

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I love putting ginger in my pumpkin soup even a little kale I found is great for counteracting the sweetness. Pumpkins add sweet potatoes are usually too sweet for my so I need to add a little something bitter to balance them out. 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I liked everything on the plate. 

I think I found a picture of the squash and it may be Delicata.

I googled that and it does seem we don't have that here. I have seem gem squash a few times which might be similar in taste. The ones we usually have are these guys whose texture is more like zucchini:

Screenshot_20210129-180430_Opera.thumb.jpg.64cb1021330eb9ed83ec0874bbe83105.jpg

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I googled that and it does seem we don't have that here. I have seem gem squash a few times which might be similar in taste. The ones we usually have are these guys whose texture is more like zucchini:

Screenshot_20210129-180430_Opera.thumb.jpg.64cb1021330eb9ed83ec0874bbe83105.jpg

No, gem squash is quite different. It's a "summer" squash like zucchini/courgettes.

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Like this?

4CCE18F7-32ED-4601-B6F5-A6B81B7D97AE.jpeg.f6286b86d39205417c9a6c42e36564b6.jpeg

Yep that is the one I have seen labelled Gem Squash though the inside flesh is usually a bit more orange. Perhaps those ones are not ripe🤔. They are quite nice, like a not so sweet pumpkin😋

Edited by ilikeanswers