Which NCL ships will comeback first small or large ones

waterjock

Which wold be more popular  ships those with 2000 to 2500 or ones with 4000 to 5000 passengers when cruises are started up again. Which would you feel safer on if the virus where still being reported. If bookings are down it will be harder to fill the Breakaway class ships.Will they avoid ports like NYC and will other ports refuse their entry. These are many of the problems NCL will have to solve to get back in business.

A loaded question ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

Where are the ships ported at this time

How soon the ships can be relocated to a viable market i.e. Alaska seasonal*

*maybe extend the season a couple weeks a month ?

What ports will be virus free (semi virus free) *

*claims made the virus does not survive well in warm climates

Caribbean Gulf OK but hurricane potential interruption

What cruise markets can be sustained or salvaged -

Caribbean Gulf probably very good - Alaska limitedly

Canada New England seasonal market not a lot of room to play here*

*And what restrictions Canada will have in play !

Hawaii travel restrictions (14 day quarantine) must be lifted*

* 14 day quarantine is not going to cut it - market killer !

Panama Canal Mexican Rivera too many ships and overkill

South American and Australia New Zealand good later in the year

Mediterranean great but port calls in Italy problematic virus hysteria -

Baltic another seasonal cruise for the hardy type guests could extend it like

Alaska a few more weeks

Transatlantic cruises - cruise possibilities relocating ships

Asia cruises ?

Smaller ships should be easier to fill with enough revenue to make a go of it

in smaller cruise markets

The larger ships there has to be a realistic breakeven point - can't sail half full (half empty)

so these would be in the prime fair weather cruise markets

And then the port calls will there be enough surviving vendors shore excursions to make the port

call profitable entertaining for both NCL and the port

All this and getting crews back on board to service the guests

Resupplying food fuel getting entertaining performers for the shows and all that other cruizy stuff !

AND CONVINCING THE GUESTS THAT IT IS SAFE TO CRUISE ONCE AGAIN

no matter the size of ship.

Anyone's guess - I like the odds better throwing blindfolded darts at a revolving piñata !  LOL ! 

Yes I will return to cruising as long as the cruise pricing remains reasonable and not gouging the

guests for the virus bump in the road (ah er sea). Woe be making seniors jump though flaming

hoops requiring medical permissions to cruise !

Sun appears to be a no-go for Alaska this summer.  No cruises on the schedule until November in the Caribbean. Could be a computer glitch but more likely it's not worth the expense of repositioning through Panama canal.

Edited by julig22

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

Sun appears to be a no-go for Alaska this summer.  No cruises on the schedule until November in the Caribbean. Could be a computer glitch but more likely it's not worth the expense of repositioning through Panama canal.

It is now official. We just received notice of cancellation. The Sun will not do any Alaska cruising this year.

I'd say the larger ships will be back first.

New ships are easier to sell because of features/activities.

An economy of scale is involved.

Accounting wise, there's more pressure to see ROI from recent investments.

New ships are usually more efficient.

Smaller ships will cost less to keep in cold storage.

The niche cruising that small ships fill will take longer to recover.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oregonian123 said:

It is now official. We just received notice of cancellation. The Sun will not do any Alaska cruising this year.

Yea - I haven't gotten my letter yet but I've seen it posted.  3 for 3 on the 2020 cancellations, plus one of those was an exchange for the B2B I'd booked on the star before they had to change itinerary so it could go in for repairs.  Next cruise is January 2021......maybe??

7 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Maybe the bigger ships would make social distancing easier.

If you have been on the 4000 plus ships on sea days and evenings the decks 6 to 8  are a zoo of people on top each other. The elevators are loaded with people  very close to each other. Large ships are more likely to spread the virus more quickly.

• Like 1

I think it is fairly certain that the cruise industry in general will be forced back to where they were 15 to 20 years ago. Some of it depends on their ability to meet the CDC regulations with regards to handling a future outbreak. Ships with a high public space to pax ratio will be the easiest to enforce social distancing. A virus that transmits through the air is harder to contain than one that spreads through direct contact - both are nasty.

I think that NCL will have to start with the Jewel class ships that they were running in the 2000's. Can you imagine trying to sanitize something like the ropes courses - I suppose they could make you wear gloves.

NCL also needs to look at which ships have the lowest operating costs and run routes that provide the greatest amount of traffic. A back to basics approach - Alaska, Mexican Rivera, Caribbean, maybe Hawaii etc.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JamesGNYC said:

my guess is it won't matter the actual size of the ships, but capacity will be limited to 50% or so of normal capacity

I would hate to be the person whose job it is to figure out how to cancel only some of the travellers on a ship.

4 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

I would hate to be the person whose job it is to figure out how to cancel only some of the travellers on a ship.

One thing that will be easy in spacing is the suites and large space cabins and of course for your convenience

be a good source of revenue to right the financial ship.

Maybe in the Dry-Dock future every other cabin will be combined with its neighbor meeting the spacing requirement ?

Of course don't expect any cheap fare cabins - but imagine the cabin space !

16 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Maybe the bigger ships would make social distancing easier.

There is no such thing as social distancing on a cruise ship.  They are a unique environment and that is why you see such focus on them.

Would you want to social distance on a cruise?  I wouldn't.  If social distancing is still a thing when cruising resumes, I think I'll wait.  I don't want to cruise for the sake of cruising, I want all the other stuff that comes with it.

Bigger ships with less people is my guess.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dexddd said:

The newer, bigger ships pack people in.

Of course! Regardless of the ship size, they will have to cut the capacity in order to get an acceptable space ratio for virus mitigation. But, but how do they make a profit at reduced capacity?

I wonder about the airlines too that we have to use to get to port of embarkation. Will the airlines need to put a passenger in every other row? Since the airlines need to squeeze in every butt to make a profit, it looks like a similar problem.