More trouble for RC as families sue

I often wonder how the injured survivors are doing now.  I imagine most of them are still there due to the severity of their burns and other health conditions. 

I wouldn't blame rcl for what happened.  If you want to blame anyone it would be the local tour guides that should monitor the various levels for chance of eruption.    It was a natural disaster and truly a shame it happened while tours were being held.   Thoughts and prayers for all those who lost family and for the survivors who have a long road to recovery.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I often wonder how the injured survivors are doing now.  I imagine most of them are still there due to the severity of their burns and other health conditions. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/120835423/whakaariwhite-island-tour-guide-jake-milbank-released-from-hospital

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/120856329/final-whakaari--white-island-eruption-patients-at-middlemore-hospital-released

Edited by marci22

"'They were told in the brochure that all they needed to do if they were attending this tour was to wear enclosed shoes,' she 'It's had an amazingly horrific impact. People have lost loved ones."

--

How dreadful they didn't put in the brochure that the volcano was going to erupt while they were on the Island.

The Daily Mail is a dreadful UK Newspaper so it's no surprise that they're running this narrative. This is the classic 21st century mentality that someone's got to sue someone for something.

5 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

"'They were told in the brochure that all they needed to do if they were attending this tour was to wear enclosed shoes,' she 'It's had an amazingly horrific impact. People have lost loved ones."

--

How dreadful they didn't put in the brochure that the volcano was going to erupt while they were on the Island.

The Daily Mail is a dreadful UK Newspaper so it's no surprise that they're running this narrative. This is the classic 21st century mentality that someone's got to sue someone for something.

I don't know your opinion of this source, but here's another:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-27/new-zealand-white-island-volcano-disaster-four-corners/12150706?nw=0

"New Zealand's volcano monitoring service, GNS Science, had raised the alert level for White Island from one to two in the weeks before the eruption, which is the highest level it can be when it is not erupting." 

Of course no one is saying Royal made this happen; but if they ignored warnings or didn't imminent risks to participants that could be problematic. 

Why is everyone so anti-lawyer? You'll want one, a good one, if you believe a company has acted negligently. Shouldn't these people be entitled to their day in court? If the case is without merit it will be dismissed. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

"New Zealand's volcano monitoring service, GNS Science, had raised the alert level for White Island from one to two in the weeks before the eruption, which is the highest level it can be when it is not erupting." 

Of course no one is saying Royal made this happen; but if they ignored warnings or didn't imminent risks to participants that could be problematic. 

Why is everyone so anti-lawyer? You'll want one, a good one, if you believe a company has acted negligently. Shouldn't these people be entitled to their day in court? If the case is without merit it will be dismissed. 

The families should be looking at why NZ didn't shut them down when they raised the level, not at RCI for offering an excursion.  Either way though, a lawsuit doesn't fix their loss nor will it change much about excursions as they are third party through local tour operators.  RCI did stop all excursions for any location to or near a volcano as soon as it happened.  

• Like 3

A completely unpredictable and frightening event.

No matter how many waivers were signed, no one could ever see this coming.  The cruise line was dependent on local decision-making for this tour, and even the New Zealand natives were caught unaware.

However, perhaps the lawsuits will generate some kind of funding which could cover severe injury treatments and make up for loss of family income.   

My thoughts and prayers are with all the families who suffered in this tragedy.

I would assume they are suing due to not being given adequate warning of the increased danger level and opportunity to make a better informed decision on whether to take the trip. 

And in respect of that, I personally don't see what is wrong with at least pursuing claims against RC - they do have a duty of care towards all their customers. 

I'd imagine those defending RC might well feel very differently had they been directly affected by this terrible tragedy. 

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

The lawyers bring it on themselves with their asinine TV commercials. And that dismissed case does nothing to help the person who had to pay for his/her defense. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Just another example of todays mentalities that people want something from someone else.  Let's not take responsibility for our own actions, blame someone else.  Why not sue New Zealand, the volcano was in their country.

You cannot sue New Zealand, no civil claim for  compensation may be brought in the courts .

https://www.wilsonharle.com/legal-information/nz-legal-guides/new-zealand-legal-environment

• Like 1