When do you think Azamara will resume Cruising?

blag

When do you think Azamara will resume Cruising?   

148 members have voted

1. 1. From ports in USA waters.

• June 12 2020
    • July 2020
    • August 2020
    • September 2020
    • October 2020 to December 31, 2020
    • In 2021
    • Never
  2. 2. From ports outside USA waters

• June 12, 2020
    • July 2020
    • August 2020
    • September 2020
    • October 2020 to December 31, 2020
    • In 2021
    • Never

And we have no idea of the logistics or borders issues that will still exist.  Just one area to think about - how do you crew up a ship safely, can they safely travel, would they have to isolate for 14 days somewhere before boarding to avoid spreading the virus etc etc.  Best just to leave it be and think far ahead.  None of us can second guess the politics of border control decision makers!

• Like 3

Surely the question should be, When will passengers resume cruising? 

I had a Zoom meeting this evening with some friends two of whom are Doctors and their advice to all on the Zoom meeting re foreign travel is wait for a vaccine.  

Ships may be sailing, however I think there may be surplus capacity.

• Like 2

All indications from Australia and New Zealand in the words of our Prime Minister are "international travel won't return anytime soon" so that culd impact Guest Numbers and the Australia and New Zealand Intineraries... I fear we're in for a long wait here. Whilst our numbers are low, the economic impact is huge.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, norn iron said:

Surely the question should be, When will passengers resume cruising? 

I had a Zoom meeting this evening with some friends two of whom are Doctors and their advice to all on the Zoom meeting re foreign travel is wait for a vaccine.  

Ships may be sailing, however I think there may be surplus capacity.

There's a poll similar to this somewhere else G not in Azamara. I stumbled across it just a moment ago, but can't find it. I know that doesn't help.

1 hour ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

Wow! 75% believe only after October! The cruise lines cannot survive this long financially. 

It will be at least that long IMHO.

And they all claim they have enough cash reserves to last the full year or more.  

• Like 4

Cruising to “where” will be interesting after we know the when.

I suspect the first itinerary’s will look different to those booked.

Perhaps when the time is right, we’ll see some short bespoke cruises so that the cruise lines (and passengers) can adapt to the new “customer experience” which will not be the same as before due to social distancing.

10 hours ago, ECCruise said:

It will be at least that long IMHO.

And they all claim they have enough cash reserves to last the full year or more.  

I agree on the timescale. I really feel for the crew. It must be so worrying for them and working in the hospitality industry as they do it's not as if they can go out and find another job just like that. 

Phil 

• Like 6

Well I am sorry to say it but realistically I don’t think there will be any cruising until next year at least. There will need to be a viable mass vaccine available or a huge drop in the Covid infection rate. Neither of which I see happening soon. 

However I am looking at booking a cruise with friends in June 2021 that I think has a possibility of sailing. I think I’m an optimistic realist! 

• Like 9

Cruise lines have little control over date of resumption. Opening up of borders/ports and development of medication that reduces mortality will determine how quickly things get moving again. 

Then there's the separate question of viability and how confident folk will be to get on a ship. 

• Like 6

On 5/1/2020 at 9:55 AM, Cruiser6270 said:

Cruise lines have little control over date of resumption. Opening up of borders/ports and development of medication that reduces mortality will determine how quickly things get moving again. 

Then there's the separate question of viability and how confident folk will be to get on a ship. 

not to mention international air travel.   We have an Azamara cruise booked for February 2021 and I am highly doubtful that we will be able to go (long flights, no vaccine, over 70....a very bad trifecta)

On 5/1/2020 at 12:55 PM, Cruiser6270 said:

Agree. 

In one of the travel blogs I read, there was a reference this article about Spain's possible timetable for re-opening its borders.   I hope the link works:

https://www.eleconomista.es/empresas-finanzas/noticias/10514986/04/20/El-Gobierno-preve-un-verano-sin-la-llegada-de-turismo-extranjero.html

We are waiting for our June 20 cruise out of Barcelona to be cancelled so we can request a refund.   

7 hours ago, mare s. said:

not to mention international air travel.   We have an Azamara cruise booked for February 2021 and I am highly doubtful that we will be able to go (long flights, no vaccine, over 70....a very bad trifecta)

Same trifecta (long flights, no vaccine, over 70) plus our country will probably not let us out for our booked October cruise.

Will Cruising ever be the same again?

Will ports who do not have a major dependence on cruises be willing to take any risks before there is a vaccine? 

Will ships need to retrofit to give more space to crew accommodation?

Will RCCL continue to run the three brands or will there be some downsizing/focus on the core brands?  

RCL has six brands (Azamara, Celebrity, Pullmantur [Spanish], Royal Caribbean, Silversea, and TUI [German]).  They each serve a distinct niche, although IMHO Celebrity has lost its mojo and become too much like Royal.  But that just makes Azamara even more important, as their niche now fits peoples' memories of 'golden age Celebrity.'

• Like 4

Wouldn't  be surprised to see RCI close down Azamara because of its 3 old ships that may not be allowed in some ports because they don't meet environmental regulations that may be imposed. Upgrading would be very expensive and be something cruise lines don't have funds for right now. What do you think?

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

RCL has six brands (Azamara, Celebrity, Pullmantur [Spanish], Royal Caribbean, Silversea, and TUI [German]).  They each serve a distinct niche, although IMHO Celebrity has lost its mojo and become too much like Royal.  But that just makes Azamara even more important, as their niche now fits peoples' memories of 'golden age Celebrity.'

Funny if you read these boards several were of the view Azamara had lost its mojo.  None of us can second guess the future just now, it's all just idle speculation.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, uktog said:

Funny if you read these boards several were of the view Azamara had lost its mojo.  None of us can second guess the future just now, it's all just idle speculation.  

I think that’s the point of this topic - people’s speculation about the immediate future of cruising.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I created the topic. The first post (mine) asked for views.

The thread may have moved in a different direction, but isn't that often the way these discussions go. I see one recent discussion digressed to 'jabs' or 'shots', which, I would hazard a guess, was never the original intention!

Personally, I don't think anyone yet knows what will happen, but that doesn't diminish the worthiness of anyone's opinion. 

• Like 5