Which Europe Itinerary? We've narrowed it down!

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions on my previous thread.  We have narrowed it down to three cruises.  2 Eastern Mediterranean and one Greek Isles.  Which one would you pick and why?  TIA

Infinity 7 nights.  Rome - Sicily - Valleta - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Trieste - Venice 

Connie 9 nights.  Venice - Venice - Kotor - Sicily - Naples - Portofino - Florence - Rome

Connie 10 nights.  Venice - Katakolon - Santorini - Ephesus - Mykonos - Athens - Chania Crete - Zakynthos - Venice

All are really nice, you can’t go wrong...

Strengths of Infinity cruise...Different start and end points so you could spend time in Rome pre cruise and in Venice post cruise. Valletta and Debrovnic are stunning.

Strengths of Connie 9 nights...Again different start and end points. You go to Naples and Pompeii is a must see. Florence is better to enjoy for a few days...a one day tour isn’t more than a fleeting look.

Strengths of Connie 10 nights....A longer cruise is always better! No matter how many times you visit Santorini the magic of floating in the middle of a caldera with the opportunity to visit and see some amazing archaeological discoveries is simply thrilling.We also never tire of Athens. Having enjoyed land holidays there, when cruising we tend to simply visit Plaka, choose a bar with fantastic views of the acropolis and soak in the atmosphere.

I think a lot depends on how much time you want to spend on land pre and post cruise...If you want to see Rome and Venice for a few days each then the first two cruises have a plus but if you want it to be more about the cruise then I would go with the third...

However, as I started, all are really nice, hope you enjoy!

I always prefer longer sailings so that eliminates the Infinity one. Of the two left - Italy or Greek Islands, very difficult and quite different cruises. Have you been to any of the ports before?

I would probably go for the Greek Islands as things to see at the ports are ‘nearer’. 

Florence is quite a distance from the port and therefore time is limited in the city (~3-4 hours) which isn’t enough to appreciate Florence.

I would exclude the first cruise - simply because it would be too short for me.

2 and three are both good
Being able to see Venice plus Rome on #2 has it´s charme - if you haven´t been before.
If you have, #3 should be your choice.

Edited by Miaminice

I agree chemo there are no bad options with these three cruises, but I would go against the conventional wisdom that longer is better and select the 7-day Infinity.   Here's the logic.  The real benefit of itineraries that start and end in different places is that you can take some time to explore both the starting and ending ports.  It would be great if you could take 2 or 3 days to experience both Venice and Rome.  Earlier you indicated that your DH's time may be limited, so I'd suggest the shorter cruises to give you as much time as possible in both Venice and Rome.  In addition, Valleta and Dubrovnik are great ports.

Choose wisely but please give yourself time to visit both Rome and Venice.

8 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I'd pick #3.

I loved Ephesus, Athens and Santorini.

And the sail away from Venice is spectacular.

You're correct the sail away from Venice is spectacular.  Arrival not so much because it's early in the morning.  If you select option 2 or 3, get a cabin on the port side to watch Venice from your balcony with a drink or glass of wine as you sail away.  Just be cautious to select a cabin that will be away from smoking areas below.

I like all 3.  I'd probably go with #2 because of the ports and length of cruise.  Book a couple of pre-nights in Venice and add on some post nights in Rome as the cities deserve more time to enjoy them.  

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree chemo there are no bad options with these three cruises, but I would go against the conventional wisdom that longer is better and select the 7-day Infinity.   Here's the logic.  The real benefit of itineraries that start and end in different places is that you can take some time to explore both the starting and ending ports.  It would be great if you could take 2 or 3 days to experience both Venice and Rome. 

I totally agree.  A European 7 night cruise, while too short in its own right, is a perfect centerpiece for a longer vacation that includes pre/post cruise time as well.

Thanks again everyone. We are going with 1 or 2. We decided Venice and Rome for a 1st time.  Most likely 2 since they are the same number of ports except you have 2 sea days instead of one to relax.  The other extra day is that she ship is ported for 2 days at embarkation in Venice. Don’t know if that’s good or bad.  Also 2 falls on our anniversary and we will spend it in Portofino.

2 is also only $200 more for the same C1 cabin. I was able to get the aft on #2 but on 1 all that was available was the starboard C1.  We usually have better luck price wise upgrading to a suite later on than at booking. 

The big port differences are Dubrovnik, Trieste and Valletta vs Naples, Portofino and Florence. Embark out of Rome vs Venice. 

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I'd go with 2. The extra time in Venice is built in, and now you just need to add an extra day or two for Rome. Whichever you finally go with you will enjoy immensely! 

Should we fly in the day before or fly in the first morning for Venice?  I don’t know how much time you need in Venice if the 2 embark days is enough or not. 

Fly in at least one day early.  If you fly day of cruise it will be like a red-eye flight, you will be beat by the time you are at the port, and you will have to board to get rid of luggage, then might be too exhausted to get back off that day.  A week is not enough for Venice.  EM

My recommendation flying into any embarkation port is to arrive the day before. My primary concern is a flight delay that would result in missing embarkation and having to play catch up at the next port. In your case, the cruise not leaving port until the day after embarkation provides some insurance should you decide to risk flying in on the morning of embarkation, but I would still stick to my recommendation. When flying to Europe, it also gives you the benefit of an extra 24 hours to adjust to the time zone change so that you start the cruise on a bit more of an even keel.

As for the time required in Venice, even arriving the day before you won't have the opportunity to do much more than see the highlights. By time you leave the airport, get to your hotel and check in it will be noonish, giving you an afternoon and evening of jet-lagged touring. The following day, you'll lose at least part of your day checking in and getting settled into your cabin, and the following day you need to be back by mid afternoon. I would consider the hours available to you to be the bare minimum to see Venice. 

If u fly (at least) one day early, I'll highly recommend Fontana hotel, which is on the route from the airport to the cruise terminal. No stairs and bridges involved.

Seeing Venice in the morning, before all the tourist arrive, is a very special experience.

12 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions on my previous thread.  We have narrowed it down to three cruises.  2 Eastern Mediterranean and one Greek Isles.  Which one would you pick and why?  TIA

Infinity 7 nights.  Rome - Sicily - Valleta - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Trieste - Venice 

Connie 9 nights.  Venice - Venice - Kotor - Sicily - Naples - Portofino - Florence - Rome

Connie 10 nights.  Venice - Katakolon - Santorini - Ephesus - Mykonos - Athens - Chania Crete - Zakynthos - Venice

Think I’d go for the 10 nights on Connie, some great ports there! But all three look good

We have a similar cruise  booked for Oct. 12, 2020.  Connie 10 nights.  Venice - Katakolon - Santorini - Ephesus - Mykonos - Athens - Chania Crete - Zakynthos - Venice .  Looks like it may not happen.  Had booked air with Celebrity last December for this cruise.  Air does not show now.  So another reason why I think my cruise won't happen.  Also the Constellation was to be "revolutionized."  Again, looks like will not happen.  We were on the Summit last year after she was revolutionized.  A main reason we booked the Constellation for 2020.  

5 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Fly in at least one day early.  If you fly day of cruise it will be like a red-eye flight, you will be beat by the time you are at the port, and you will have to board to get rid of luggage, then might be too exhausted to get back off that day.  A week is not enough for Venice.  EM

I agree 100%, we spent 5 nights in Venice and still didn't see everything.  If you have time, a trip to Burano is just magical.

Also, if you can arrange your own transfer from the airport by water taxi to your hotel.

It is the only way to arrive in Venice if you haven't been before.

It's like being in a James Bond movie!

Very special.

Enjoy, whatever you decide!

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.  I would have picked #3 also, one day extra,  plus Santorini and Crete are lovely.  However, I think you have made a good choice with #2.  Overnight in Venice will be fabulous.  I would make sure to take the vaporetto over to see the Murano glass place.  Prices of the glass are expensive, just so you know.  We didn't buy.

Please so take the advice of others who say to fly in a day ahead.  You don't want to spend your first day in Venice groping along with your eyes half closed.  We always arrive a day or two ahead of our cruises unless we're sailing out of Vancouver!!😄

First of all, can I thank the OP for this thread.

Understandably this forum recently has been full of posts about cancellations, refunds, FFC's etc. Its nice to go back to someone seeking advice on ships and itinerary.

Can I say all of them look good. Personally if you are coming across the Pond, unless you have some land trips planned either  pre or post cruise then a 7  night cruise is not worth the hassle.

Identifying ports, we have done all of them except Kotor, which we are told we have to do. Actually just remembered  we should have done Katakolon last summer on the Edge, but owing to  weather conditions in the Aegean which meant we (Captain Kate) had to juggle the itinerary, as a result  we ended up in Crete in the port of Chania, which we hadn't expected and we really enjoyed.

As far as the ship is concerned we haven't sailed on the Connie, however we have sailed on her sister the Summit, and Connie gets posts on here from previous cruisers saying how they love her.

Cards on the table,  its the 10 night  Venice to Venice for me.

Which ever you choose one  day on a cruise is better than one day in work.

Take care all, and stay safe

18 hours ago, bluwes said:

First of all, can I thank the OP for this thread.

Understandably this forum recently has been full of posts about cancellations, refunds, FFC's etc. Its nice to go back to someone seeking advice on ships and itinerary.

Can I say all of them look good. Personally if you are coming across the Pond, unless you have some land trips planned either  pre or post cruise then a 7  night cruise is not worth the hassle.

Identifying ports, we have done all of them except Kotor, which we are told we have to do. Actually just remembered  we should have done Katakolon last summer on the Edge, but owing to  weather conditions in the Aegean which meant we (Captain Kate) had to juggle the itinerary, as a result  we ended up in Crete in the port of Chania, which we hadn't expected and we really enjoyed.

As far as the ship is concerned we haven't sailed on the Connie, however we have sailed on her sister the Summit, and Connie gets posts on here from previous cruisers saying how they love her.

Cards on the table,  its the 10 night  Venice to Venice for me.

Which ever you choose one  day on a cruise is better than one day in work.

Take care all, and stay safe

#3 please with a few extra nights in Venice. Main reason is the hastle of getting to,or from Civitaveccia without a private, very expensive transfer. Water taxi from the Marco Polo airport to Venice is a delight.