Social distancing on a cruise ship

55 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Hong Kong, Taiwan and So Korea pretty much avoided lock downs while having very dense population ala NYC.  They have had schools open and indoor dining, they didn't need to make tradeoffs, why is that?

No, there real question is what did the lockdowns, etc., accomplish in the US?  The experiences of HK, Taiwan, and So Korea pretty much establishes that our responses were misguided or unnecessary.  They made tradeoffs and decided that lockdowns weren't necessary.      

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, there real question is what did the lockdowns, etc., accomplish in the US?  The experiences of HK, Taiwan, and So Korea pretty much establishes that our responses were misguided or unnecessary.  They made tradeoffs and decided that lockdowns weren't necessary.      

Total failure of the US leadership at National, State and Local level, FUBAR 

Before the world was the US oyster

Before_Travel.JPG

Now we are lepers, so sad.

After_travel.JPG

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

After_travel.JPG

I don't understand this second map… Visas are not required for Americans visiting the UK, for example, but the map incorrectly indicates that visas are required for Americans visiting the UK. Or was this map from a satire site maybe? Sorry I'm confused!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pmd98052 said:

And yet 133,000 people in the USA are dead.

Indeed, and yesterday the USA recorded the highest number of daily new cases which any country has had since the pandemic began....72,000 new cases, which will result in many more deaths as the virus continues to spiral out of control due to many ignoring appropriate safeguards.....unbelievable!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, seaman11 said:

they may start cruising this year because they may just say well covid isnt going away so they may allow them to sail with some tight protocols. 

C'mon Seaman, we all thought you'd grudgingly accepted 2001 as the set sail again year!

16 hours ago, 98420934 said:

I don't understand this second map… Visas are not required for Americans visiting the UK, for example, but the map incorrectly indicates that visas are required for Americans visiting the UK. Or was this map from a satire site maybe? Sorry I'm confused!

The black countries are the countries where US citizens are currently not permitted to enter, because we have the worst outbreak in the world and have managed the crisis worse than any other nation save perhaps Brazil.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

The black countries are the countries where US citizens are currently not permitted to enter, because we have the worst outbreak in the world and have managed the crisis worse than any other nation save perhaps Brazil.

The map is worthless junk. 

It is the same story for virtually all countries.

Put New Zealand in there and the rest of the earth is black. LOL.

Just another slanted covid article.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Here’s what Costa(Carnival) are proposing once they can start cruising.  I would imagine most lines will adopt a similar policy initially until a vaccine is available, 

http://www.sailcosta.com/8115_Safety/8115.03_FAQs.pdf

all public areas will be sanitized twice daily with powerful disinfectant detergents.

in public areas of the ship, it will be essential to wear face masks in all circumstances where it is not possible to guarantee adequate social distancing.

cabins will be sprayed after every change of guest with certified antiviral disinfectants and will also be cleaned, sanitized and disinfected daily.

Forget it for me and I would guess most everyone else.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The map is worthless junk. 

It is the same story for virtually all countries.

Put New Zealand in there and the rest of the earth is black. LOL.

Just another slanted covid article.

Mother of God, it’s’ literally a map of what countries currently will not allow US citizens to enter them, or is your reality so fact-free that you don’t believe that there are countries right now with bans on US citizens?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Mother of God, it’s’ literally a map of what countries currently will not allow US citizens to enter them, or is your reality so fact-free that you don’t believe that there are countries right now with bans on US citizens?

I agree it is a map showing where US citizens can't travel or at least most can't.

Chipmaster makes it sound like it is unique to the US and everywhere else is fine.

I should have quoted his post, not yours.

Since this thread is about social distancing, here is some current information.

I really thought the reopening of Disney today would give us some indication for cruises going forward.

Reservations required for admittance.  

Reduced capacity.

Frequent temperature checks.

Mandatory mask usage.

Mandatory social distancing.

Today, just a few hours ago:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Ah ok so the map is incorrect. For example, US citizens are currently free to enter the UK, but the UK is black on the map. I guess that's why I was confused. I wonder if any of the other countries on the map are also colored incorrectly.

14 minutes ago, 98420934 said:

Ah ok so the map is incorrect. For example, US citizens are currently free to enter the UK, but the UK is black on the map. I guess that's why I was confused. I wonder if any of the other countries on the map are also colored incorrectly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/world/europe/britain-quarantine-us-coronavirus.html

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

I really thought the reopening of Disney today would give us some indication for cruises going forward.

Reduced capacity.

Mandatory mask usage.

That picture was actually taken a few days ago during the cast member previews, not a few hours ago, but yes, your point is correct.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

That picture was actually taken a few days ago during the cast member previews, not a few hours ago, but yes, your point is correct.

Thanks for the input. Since it was just posted this afternoon I thought it was today. 

An awful preview of potential issues on ships. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Thanks for the input. Since it was just posted this afternoon I thought it was today. 

An awful preview of potential issues on ships. 

Videos taken today show Disney a ghost town compared to normal. I suspect those in attendance are looking for short lines to get on the rides. Masks were coming down below the nose late in the day. Attendance estimates were around 15000 combined between the two parks that were open. I have know idea what the cap was.

5 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Reduced capacity.

Mandatory mask usage.

Not much social distancing going on in that photo!

Edited by Edinburghgirl1

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

They don't wear masks in Norway

I've seen video interviews this week from two health experts in Scandinavia, one from Norway and the other from Sweden. It is a myth that everyone has to wear a mask and society has to be shut down in order to overcome this. You are correct, @sverigecruiser. I agree that we should learn from what other countries are doing, especially Scandinavia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

I've seen video interviews this week from two health experts in Scandinavia, one from Norway and the other from Sweden. It is a myth that everyone has to wear a mask and society has to be shut down in order to overcome this. You are correct, @sverigecruiser. I agree that we should learn from what other countries are doing, especially Scandinavia. 

We can look at Norway and learn from them.

Sweden still have many more deaths than the US when we consider our small population so it's probably too early to learn anything good from us. Time will tell.

Right not we are doing quite well and our curves are defenitely going down. Todays number is 84 in intestive care because of Covid-19 and that is not too bad. 

There is very little mask wearing in the Scandinavian countries except when it make sense like public transport. They are using a manage risk approach where they try to isolate the vulnerable and keep society open. No lock downs, cancelling school etc. The US approach is "The Mask" is the Holy Grail of stopping Covid. About 97 percent of US mask wearers are constantly using them in a way that makes them useless such as pulling them up and down around their head, throwing them on countertops, stuffing them in their pocket and never cleaning them. Disney World is a perfect example of mask nonsense-wear them outdoors where the risk of getting the virus is extremely low- but take them off at the one place in the parks where they are most vulnerable-restaurants.

I see no US based cruising for a very long time.

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

There is very little mask wearing in the Scandinavian countries except when it make sense like public transport. They are using a manage risk approach where they try to isolate the vulnerable and keep society open. No lock downs, cancelling school etc. The US approach is "The Mask" is the Holy Grail of stopping Covid. About 97 percent of US mask wearers are constantly using them in a way that makes them useless such as pulling them up and down around their head, throwing them on countertops, stuffing them in their pocket and never cleaning them. Disney World is a perfect example of mask nonsense-wear them outdoors where the risk of getting the virus is extremely low- but take them off at the one place in the parks where they are most vulnerable-restaurants.

I see no US based cruising for a very long time.

They did closed the schools in Norway. In Sweden we only closed schools for older kids and adults.

I don't think that many use a mask in public transportation in Norway but I'm not sure about that. Here very few uses masks in public transportation.

17 hours ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Yes, that is also correct, but it's a different issue. It's important to distinguish between "visa-free travel", which is the title of the map you posted, and health requirements following visa-free travel, which is the topic of the article you posted more recently. These are of course different concepts, and the map posted earlier has nothing to do with the NYT article above.

The map above is blatantly incorrect -- US citizens are indeed freely able to enter the UK, for example, without a visa. The fact that there may be health requirements (e.g. a quarantine) following visa-free travel and arrival is unrelated to any visa requirement. It's a shame that someone created a map like that with such an incorrect title -- it was so clearly incorrect that I wondered for a moment if it was from a comedy or satire publication!

Since many of us move around the world to join or leave ships, it's good to have some resources about what regulations may have changed, with regard to travel. I would recommend checking out either of the following links:

IATA COVID-19 Government Public Health Mitigation Measures

Which countries are open for US tourists in June 2020 and beyond?

Typical of any COVID discussion. I saw something online, therefore it supports my claim. Even though I don't know if it's true or what it's even saying.

The United States has performed more tests than anyone in the world. Our percentage of positive result tests are about mid-to-lower of the pack around 6%.Also, not every country is following the same testing process to a T. Serious question, does anyone actually expect the country with the most tests to not find the most cases? Remember, cases are largely asymptomatic and not fatal either.

Quit with this notion that America is the only country where everyone is sneezing and coughing into everyone's face because of Trump while every other country is safe. You can find some anomalies that support your claim either way, but it's mostly just fear and politics.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

• Like 2