Are July Caribbean cruises from Ft Lauderdale even possible?

Is there any chance Port Everglades is going to open to accommodate the July Caribbean cruises still scheduled on the Equinox or is X just waiting a few more days to follow Princess and HAL's decision to cancel their summer cruises? We sure hope Port Everglades is able to open as we're ready to go on a cruise!!

Edited by Ken the cruiser

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is there any chance Port Everglades is going to open to accommodate the July Caribbean cruises still scheduled on the Equinox or is X just waiting a few more days to follow Princess and HAL's decision to cancel their summer cruises? We sure hope Port Everglades is able to open as we're ready to go on a cruise!!

100% Not happening

Celebrity is collecting as much cash as they can with deposits and payments, and then canceling cruises and hoping a fcc will replace a cash refund. With all the fcc issued Celebrity needs to extend the date of expiration beyond 12/31/21.

Hal

50 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Of course it is not possible. Nothing this year is possible.

I'm going for a bit more optimism.  I don't think CCL, HAL and Princess would have gone public with an August limited restart without some input from CDC and the States of Florida and Texas.  I'm hoping my Equinox voyage in early November is still a go.   I think RCC Ltd. will certainly have to push back to match CCL et al.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

My Magic 8 Ball say's, "my sources say no". 🎱

Even if it’s possible on some limited scale, they are just now in the process of sending crews home. Some won’t arrive home for several weeks. I think all signs point to no. 

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Highly doubtful. Even if cruises were to take place our Canadian/US borders remain closed. 

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

Celebrity is collecting as much cash as they can with deposits and payments, and then canceling cruises and hoping a fcc will replace a cash refund. With all the fcc issued Celebrity needs to extend the date of expiration beyond 12/31/21.

Hal

Absolutely agree, the cruise lines are waiting for fools to throw away more money. 

Moving NRD is one thing, but still giving deposits with some false hopes, some call this optimism, is really just silly. Even if they sail in 2021, under what conditions? what kind of restrictions? What type of enjoyment? All unknowns. 

52 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Even if it’s possible on some limited scale, they are just now in the process of sending crews home. Some won’t arrive home for several weeks. I think all signs point to no. 

I cant imagine them sending all the crew home just to bring them back and retrain which will take some time just to have ships sail for the remainder of 2020. 

37 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Absolutely agree, the cruise lines are waiting for fools to throw away more money. 

Moving NRD is one thing, but still giving deposits with some false hopes, some call this optimism, is really just silly. Even if they sail in 2021, under what conditions? what kind of restrictions? What type of enjoyment? All unknowns. 

"if they sail in 2021"?  If they don't sail in 2021 they will never sail again.  Maybe not by January, but certainly sometime next year. 

There are some positive signs in the science.  Remdesivir is showing a lot of promise as a treatment and has just been approved by the FDA for use to treat the virus.  A company (don't recall who) just got approval of an antibody test that is very reliable in testing positive results (not as much for the negative results, but the positive results are key), is low cost and easy to produce, and has results in minutes.  There is not 100% proof that antibodies = complete protection from further infection as it is too early to know that yet, but most experts I've read seem to think it likely will.  That's huge.  Vaccine development is going forward at a pace faster than at any time in history.  Might we have one by year end?  Not real likely, but a reasonable chance there will be one sometime next year.

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

"if they sail in 2021"?  If they don't sail in 2021 they will never sail again.  Maybe not by January, but certainly sometime next year. 

There are some positive signs in the science.  Remdesivir is showing a lot of promise as a treatment and has just been approved by the FDA for use to treat the virus.  A company (don't recall who) just got approval of an antibody test that is very reliable in testing positive results (not as much for the negative results, but the positive results are key), is low cost and easy to produce, and has results in minutes.  There is not 100% proof that antibodies = complete protection from further infection as it is too early to know that yet, but most experts I've read seem to think it likely will.  That's huge.  Vaccine development is going forward at a pace faster than at any time in history.  Might we have one by year end?  Not real likely, but a reasonable chance there will be one sometime next year.

What you are defining as a lot of promise for Remdesivir is a reduction in treatment time from 15 days to 11 and an apparent reduction of mortality from 11% to 8% (apparent because the result was not statistically meaningful). All in a infusion drug that is administered in the hospital setting. 

Remdesivir best result is that is does show activity and indicates that other more focused drugs can also be found with activity, but its benefit is pretty limited.

It is the first tool, in what has been to date a pretty empty tool box.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Might we have one by year end?  Not real likely, but a reasonable chance there will be one sometime next year.

Let's hope so. I have family overseas that I was planning to visit this summer and so extremely disappointed.  I won't even fly now for fear of contracting the virus.

Oh well, it was a hopeful thought. But you folks are probably right. I guess we'll just have to focus on the next cruise we're booked on, a 30 day Princess one in late October than includes 2 stops in China with us flying back from Shanghai. Should be fun to see if its itinerary stays the same as it's currently scheduled to go to Hawaii, Guam, Japan, South Korea and China. After all, isn't part of the fun of cruising looking forward to the next one!! 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, marieps said:

I'm going for a bit more optimism.  I don't think CCL, HAL and Princess would have gone public with an August limited restart without some input from CDC and the States of Florida and Texas.  

Hmm, not so sure about the input Carnival actually had, because the same day they started hedging on their statement - kind of like they might have been chastised:

"Over the course of Monday, Carnival Cruise Line backtracked several times as it outlined its plans to start sailing this summer. In an initial statement, the company said it planned to “resume cruises” on the eight ships “beginning August 1.”

In a second statement, the company played down the possibility of an Aug. 1 start date, saying that “any resumption of cruise operations — whenever that may be — is fully dependent” on discussions with government officials.

A spokesman for Carnival Cruise Line, Chris Chiames, said in a separate email that the exact reopening date would be subject to change.

“There is no assurance of a return on Aug. 1,” Mr. Chiames said. “Our intent was to convey that we will take a phased-in approach, no matter when that it is, and focus resources and new protocols on a limited number of operations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/business/coronavirus-carnival-cruises-returning.html

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Agree too.  We've cancelled all cruises will full deposits.  The only cruises we are keeping are the ones with $200 deposits for booking onboard.  We are moving these around based on how things are playing out.

Computer says no. Our final payment for July cruise is due next week and not yet cancelled. Just yesterday I transferred it to July 21 under their swap offer as I know it won't get cancelled until after I've paid in full and I don't want over $12,000 sitting with Celebrity. Gives me 12 months space not to think about it. And Celebrity booking site still has Apex cruises for sale in July 2020 😱

Edited by Pushka

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Oh well, it was a hopeful thought. But you folks are probably right. I guess we'll just have to focus on the next cruise we're booked on, a 30 day Princess one in late October than includes 2 stops in China with us flying back from Shanghai. Should be fun to see if its itinerary stays the same as it's currently scheduled to go to Hawaii, Guam, Japan, South Korea and China. After all, isn't part of the fun of cruising looking forward to the next one!! 🙂

Wow, I don't have high hopes about that one either.  Sorry...🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cluso said:

Wow, I don't have high hopes about that one either.  Sorry...🤔

No worries. If that one goes by the way side or if the itinerary gets changed too much, we have a backup 22 day Antarctica cruise booked with HAL the end of November. We figure at some point this will all be behind us, so we might as well get prepared for when it is.

2 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Hmm, not so sure about the input Carnival actually had, because the same day they started hedging on their statement - kind of like they might have been chastised:

"Over the course of Monday, Carnival Cruise Line backtracked several times as it outlined its plans to start sailing this summer. In an initial statement, the company said it planned to “resume cruises” on the eight ships “beginning August 1.”

In a second statement, the company played down the possibility of an Aug. 1 start date, saying that “any resumption of cruise operations — whenever that may be — is fully dependent” on discussions with government officials.

A spokesman for Carnival Cruise Line, Chris Chiames, said in a separate email that the exact reopening date would be subject to change.

“There is no assurance of a return on Aug. 1,” Mr. Chiames said. “Our intent was to convey that we will take a phased-in approach, no matter when that it is, and focus resources and new protocols on a limited number of operations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/business/coronavirus-carnival-cruises-returning.html

Thank you very much for posting this.