Regent Refund Roll Call

57 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I really need to hold back my feelings when I read that people want to attempt ("attempt" being the operative word) to encourage people to try and get their TA or Regent in trouble when it is struggling to survive.  Is there no compassion or understanding about the current situation?

If I understand @piscean correctly their TA (UK) is refusing to return money to piscean that has been refunded to the TA by Regent. Instead the TA is offering a credit note.

I am sure that the TA is struggling in these difficult times but I am afraid that I do not have any compassion or understanding for a company that is seemingly misusing clients’ funds and breaking UK consumer law.

Apologies @SusieQft for interrupting your excellent Refund Roll Call

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2

Jackie...thanks for listening. I have not mentioned my (former) TA experience before. She lives in my community and I have not told one person here about it. 
Just can’t wait to cruise again. Even Herb is looking forward to cruising. 
We did book the Crystal Cruise we discussed. It’s at the very end of October. Not really sure it will sail. If not, we will book something else. 
Next scheduled Regent cruise is in February with My son and his beautiful wife. Total of four on Regent still to go. 
stay well!
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

7 hours ago, flossie009 said:

If I understand @piscean correctly their TA (UK) is refusing to return money to piscean that has been refunded to the TA by Regent. Instead the TA is offering a credit note.

I am sure that the TA is struggling in these difficult times but I am afraid that I do not have any compassion or understanding for a company that is seemingly misusing clients’ funds and breaking UK consumer law.

Apologies @SusieQft for interrupting your excellent Refund Roll Call

Also my apologies to Susie.

i have been a member on CC for many years although I’m reluctant to post.

However this roll call has been very helpful and I felt It would be useful to share my experience.

On Oceania’s roll call others are using the same TA and also having problems.

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

They still put in all the work.  Often more, if they are helping you get your refund or helped make alternative arrangements to get you home.

OK - I understand.  And certainly my TA has been more than helpful in helping with the refund for the cruise fare AND my additional expenses to get home.  She is very very responsive.

11 hours ago, piscean said:

Thank you Flossie. 
I note that you have been refunded for the same cruise. I’m pleased for you.

Yes, fortunately the TA that we use (in Reading, UK) has been excellent throughout the difficult situation caused by the pandemic:

• they have had agents available to answer the phone & emails promptly (their office never closed)
  • they have passed on communications from Regent promptly
  • most importantly our CC payments are processed by Regent(UK) rather than by the TA so refunds come directly back from Regent to our CC, rather than getting stuck with a third party as in your case. 
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Yes, fortunately the TA that we use (in Reading, UK) has been excellent throughout the difficult situation caused by the pandemic:

• they have had agents available to answer the phone & emails promptly (their office never closed)
  • they have passed on communications from Regent promptly
  • most importantly our CC payments are processed by Regent(UK) rather than by the TA so refunds come directly back from Regent to our CC, rather than getting stuck with a third party as in your case. 

apologies again Susie for ‘hijacking’ this roll call....

thanks to Flossie for understanding 

I always use your agent they are truly excellent, indeed I have a cruise on Marina booked with them next year.

At the time SS offered me such a good deal I couldn’t refuse it....

2 hours ago, piscean said:

apologies again Susie for ‘hijacking’ this roll call....

thanks to Flossie for understanding 

I always use your agent they are truly excellent, indeed I have a cruise on Marina booked with them next year.

At the time SS offered me such a good deal I couldn’t refuse it....

My apologies to Susie too, but couldn’t resist.  We’ve frequently used SS and never had an issue with them, but these are extraordinary times! I always shop around and wonder if the Reading co is another name for a king, queen or gold coin? Thanks 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, ddsun1 said:

Scheduled sail date - 04/01/2020 - Splendor, Miami - NYC

Regent cancelled cruise and excursions - 03/13/2020

Request for refund submitted via TA - 03/16/2020

No refund of 05/10/2020

Thank you for this, Susie!

On 6/2/2020 at 10:58 AM, ddsun1 said:

Following my post above, my husband and I spoke to our financial advisor.  He advised to immediately file a credit card dispute.  Initial deposit (06/2018) on my husband's Chase card and paid excursions (08/2019)/final deposit (11/2019) on my Bank of America card.  Our advisor had two concerns.  First, the news of NCL's stock plunging and possible bankruptcy (the two billion in funding was a relief).  Second, the builder of our new home abruptly left our project declaring personal and business bankruptcies, leaving us to complete the build as general contractors and to undertake his contractual financial responsibilities (equal to three Regent cruises)!  

Chase and Bank of America temporarily credited both of our cards, May 19th.  Both credit card companies have sixty (60) days to resolve with Regent.

Thank you again, Susie, and best wishes to all Regent cruisers!  We were so much looking to our cruise aboard Splendor!

We cancelled both credit card disputes, June 11th.  Via our retired TA, documentation of same provided to Regent.  Regent credited both cards on June 19th for the full amount.  Good news; however still sad that we were not aboard Splendor for, what would have been, her fourth journey!

Thanks so much for all your work, Susie!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lprp said:

My apologies to Susie too, but couldn’t resist.  We’ve frequently used SS and never had an issue with them, but these are extraordinary times! I always shop around and wonder if the Reading co is another name for a king, queen or gold coin? Thanks 

yes to the TA.

today I received notification from my TA that their accounts department had received funds but no remittance.....they don’t know who to pay!

further that they are still waiting for the suppliers of flights, transfers and hotel....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

We cancelled both credit card disputes, June 11th.  Via our retired TA, documentation of same provided to Regent.  Regent credited both cards on June 19th for the full amount.

Why did you do this?  Did Regent tell you that they would issue the refund only if you cancelled the dispute?  Or did they threaten some sort of retaliation?

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Why did you do this?  Did Regent tell you that they would issue the refund only if you cancelled the dispute?  Or did they threaten some sort of retaliation?

Retired TA told us that Regent (contacted TA) could not credit our cards for refund as disputes were filed. TA advised to cancel disputes, furnish documentation, and then, Regent would refund.

We did not perceive any sort of threat or retaliation.

2 minutes ago, ddsun1 said:

Retired TA told us that Regent (contacted TA) could not credit our cards for refund as disputes were filed. TA advised to cancel disputes, furnish documentation, and then, Regent would refund.

We did not perceive any sort of threat or retaliation.

That is blatantly false.  When a dispute is filed, the merchant can simply provide the refund against the amount charged or simply accept the dispute and in either case the dispute is settled.  Recently had a dispute and the merchant worked with me to solve the issue without me to cancel the dispute.  The merchant first agreed to accept the dispute but, for some reason could not find the dispute so they provided the disputed amount as a credit which then closed the dispute.

2 minutes ago, ddsun1 said:

Retired TA told us that Regent (contacted TA) could not credit our cards for refund as disputes were filed.

That seems very bizarre, since the whole point of filing a dispute is to get the company to pay up.  I don't see how they could refuse to credit your cards if you have a valid dispute, but I certainly can understand why they would not like the idea.

I don't have any inside knowledge on this, but it has been my understanding that if you file a dispute there is some sort of penalty on the company.  I think in the normal course of events, when a refund is issued the company gets back the credit card fee they paid originally.  Maybe if they pay it back in the dispute process, they don't get that fee back.  That is pure speculation on my part, just trying to figure out why Regent would do this.

If anyone does have inside knowledge on how this works, I would welcome any correction of my speculation, or additional information.

Regent's average charge is so large and their volume is so great that they won't pay a high fee nor can I imagine their bank holding a charge back (or hundreds) against them given the circumstances.

Besides, it should be obvious by now that the refunds are arriving and the processing time is speeding up...that's a positive indication of improvement.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Regent's average charge is so large and their volume is so great that they won't pay a high fee nor can I imagine their bank holding a charge back (or hundreds) against them given the circumstances.

Besides, it should be obvious by now that the refunds are arriving and the processing time is speeding up...that's a positive indication of improvement.

So true!  Credit card companies know what is going on and are likely taking cruise ship issues with a grain of salt since the money has been promised to passengers.  The weak link seems to be some TA's.  I understand how important it is to work with your TA rather than directly with Regent (from many perspectives).  However, if a TA is clueless, there isn't much that Regent can do.  It isn't as if they could post a list of TA's that they do not recommend (based on how much incorrect information they have given to their clients and the problems that they have caused).  

While Customer Service at Regent can (and has) given misinformation, IMO, TA's take the cake in terms of giving their clients wrong information - so wrong that it has ruined cruises.  

6 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

However, if a TA is clueless, there isn't much that Regent can do.  It isn't as if they could post a list of TA's that they do not recommend (based on how much incorrect information they have given to their clients and the problems that they have caused).  

Can't they block a TA and refuse to work with them?

Cruise scheduled 5/22

Regent cancelled 4/24

Refund received over the last few days in multiple transactions. To quote my TA: a hodgepodge of refunds - without any sort of reason.

• Thanks 1

On Regent cancelled cruises, the refunds are processed by hand as the software was never designed to handle this type of transaction (it will be in the future). As a result of this, refunds are processed by hand (twice!) and are computed in several different categories as they are allocated funds vs. a deposit which is not (and is automated).

What this means for a client is that a refunded deposit is very fast and comes back in one piece. A refunded fully paid cruise is taking about 30 - 45 days from date of sailing. I think Regent is currently processing late May and/or early June sailings right now.

Scheduled Sail Date:                                       07/17/20

Regent cancelled:                                            05/20/20

TA requested refund:                                     05/20/20

Refund Request Confirmed (by Regent):   05/20/20

No refund received or expected as of        06/23/20

Excursions paid with On Board Credits therefore no refund expected.

Points of interest

·         Independently arranged domestic flights on “Air Iceland Connect” were refunded in full within 2 days.  (was subject to a 20% penalty which was not levied)

·         “Cancellation Insurance Policy” premiums were refunded within 2 weeks less a $25 service fee per policy.

We are in good shape.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, SusieQft said:

Is it possible to track the date of the most recent cruise sail date that has been refunded?

It's my understanding they have finished May and are now working on June 1 - June 15.....has there been a reported refund for a June sailing? 

58 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Is it possible to track the date of the most recent cruise sail date that has been refunded?

It's my understanding they have finished May and are now working on June 1 - June 15.....has there been a reported refund for a June sailing? 

SkystheLimit got an 85% refund, 15% penalty for a July sailing under the regular cancellation policy.  It seems like Regent processed that one like the deposits before final payment.

The only other one I see is @orvil, who disputed the final payment only through his credit card and says they closed the investigation in two weeks.  His last update was on May 30, so I don't know if he has gotten the rest of his refund.  Also, it seems very odd that Regent would respond that quickly to a credit card dispute.  An update with the details on this would be nice.  It makes me wonder if they are treating it as a customer cancellation with a 15% penalty.  Could filing a credit card dispute enable them to ignore their offer of a full refund for a booking cancelled by Regent?  If so, that might explain why the responded so quickly.

So far no one has reported receiving a "routine" refund for a June or later Regent cancelled cruise.

16 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

We know they are doing it in 15 day chunks and people have recd late may sail date refunds. This lines up with what i have been told.  Early June sailings should hit credit cards soon.

Do you have any idea, Pcardad, when Regent starts processing approved refunds for extraordinary expenses incurred in getting home when a cruise was cancelled within 24 hours of boarding?    I  heard about a week ago from Customer Service that our request for reimbursment has been approved.  But so far - no sign of the actual money nor the amount they are refunding.  I suppose the request went from Customer Service to Finance/Accounting.