Will you have to take off your mask to get your picture taken for your cruise card?

ontheweb

On 6/9/2020 at 6:51 AM, Dwight1 said:

Unless you are wearing a N95 mask the others don’t protect you at all.

Please provide a current reputable and verifiable citation that supports this. From what I've read, that's not true.

Clo:  search it yourself - don't demand that others do your work for you.

The basic difference is size of the partial they trap:

If worn properly, a surgical mask is meant to help block large-particle droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter that may contain germs (viruses and bacteria), keeping it from reaching your mouth and nose. Surgical masks may also help reduce exposure of your saliva and respiratory secretions to others.

While a surgical mask may be effective in blocking splashes and large-particle droplets, a face mask, by design, does not filter or block very small particles in the air that may be transmitted by coughs, sneezes, or certain medical procedures. Surgical masks also do not provide complete protection from germs and other contaminants because of the loose fit between the surface of the mask and your face.

An N95 respirator is a respiratory protective device designed to achieve a very close facial fit and very efficient filtration of airborne particles. Note that the edges of the respirator are designed to form a seal around the nose and mouth. Surgical N95 Respirators are commonly used in healthcare settings and are a subset of N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators (FFRs), often referred to as N95s.

N95s are required for smaller particles, such as anthrax.  I have a box of 20 left over from the 2001/2 anthrax scare in the US.  We don't use them staying with the disposable cloth/paper masks recommended to protect others from your breathing.

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:02 AM, clo said:

Please provide a current reputable and verifiable citation that supports this. From what I've read, that's not true.

Clo - wearing masks, unless they are of a N95 type are useless in preventing inhalation of the CV19 virus, and ideally should be worn in conjunction with a face mask. Without going into great detail, just accept the science 

Wearing a mask does limit the possibility of you passing on  the virus to other people. However, you need to adopt the correct protocols when wearing a mask (I'm sure you know what they are) to ensure that you do not increase the risk of you, yourself, getting contaminated.

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Clo:  search it yourself - don't demand that others do your work for you.

Okey-dokey. I already knew that your info is out of date.  Here's from the CDC:

"In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

19 hours ago, clo said:

Okey-dokey. I already knew that your info is out of date.  Here's from the CDC:

"In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

My daughter who lives in what it is referred to as upstate NY lives in a town of 700 people.She and her husband wear masks when they are out of their home.

Yesterday a neighbor told them that it is foolish to wear masks.She said the neighbor is on medication for serious illness and she could not believe his feelings on masks.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My daughter who lives in what it is referred to as upstate NY lives in a town of 700 people.She and her husband wear masks when they are out of their home.

Yesterday a neighbor told them that it is foolish to wear masks.She said the neighbor is on medication for serious illness and she could not believe his feelings on masks.

I ran into a former neighbor today who was not wearing a mask. But she apologized for it as due to her medical condition she could not breathe with one on.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:03 AM, LHT28 said:

The WHO  have been wrong in the past about things 😉

I do not have symptoms but I will still wear a mask when in public places  because I do not know if those with symptoms were ahead of me  

I am protecting myself from selfish people  who refuse to self isolate or stay home when sick

YMMV

The info changes daily on masks if they help, if they don't. From what I understand it only helps if you have it then, you are less apt to spread  this if you wear a mask.  I do not  go out much but I wear one  for just in case it helps. At least I am protecting other people IF I have it. I do wish more people would wear one so I could go out more. That's the reality for me as a high risk person. I have to stay home because so many refuse to wear a mask.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, ontheweb said:

I ran into a former neighbor today who was not wearing a mask. But she apologized for it as due to her medical condition she could not breathe with one on.

If the mask is made of cotton  it is easier to breathe.  I doubt she had a medical0 condition just tried wearing a mask made of polyester.  I have asthma and I can wear a cotton mask with no issues. Now maybe I would if I tried to run a marathon, lol but then I would have trouble doing that without wearing a mask.

Honestly in my mind if she has real medical condition maybe she should not  be out if possible. Because if she has breathing issues then she is  also more prone if she gets this  of it being a major illness for her and not like a mild cold as it is for many.

My friend who  who is 66  and has insulin dependent  diabetes since she was in her early 20's lives with her daughter now because of her health issues. The daughter refuses to wear a mask because your wearing a mask does not prevent you from getting it.  I pointed out someone else who  may have it and not wearing a mask could give it to her and she only be mildly ill but it would more than likely kill her mom. That is why we wear a mask to protect others for IF we have it.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, momofmeg said:

If the mask is made of cotton  it is easier to breathe.  I doubt she had a medical0 condition just tried wearing a mask made of polyester.  I have asthma and I can wear a cotton mask with no issues. Now maybe I would if I tried to run a marathon, lol but then I would have trouble doing that without wearing a mask.

Honestly in my mind if she has real medical condition maybe she should not  be out if possible. Because if she has breathing issues then she is  also more prone if she gets this  of it being a major illness for her and not like a mild cold as it is for many.

My friend who  who is 66  and has insulin dependent  diabetes since she was in her early 20's lives with her daughter now because of her health issues. The daughter refuses to wear a mask because your wearing a mask does not prevent you from getting it.  I pointed out someone else who  may have it and not wearing a mask could give it to her and she only be mildly ill but it would more than likely kill her mom. That is why we wear a mask to protect others for IF we have it.

I went to my barber today to get my first haircut since March 11.When my wife came to take me home she noticed that the mask the barber was wearing did not cover his nose .He told her it was because it fogs his glasses and he cannot see.Why I did not realize that I have no idea.

If your barber got a mask with a wire/metal strip at the nose, and molded it properly, then he wouldn't have a problem with fogging under normal conditions. I wore masks every work day for over 30 years. It took me 10 minutes on the first day to figure out how to wear it properly. Since your wife is a nurse, I'm surprised she didn't tell him how to fix the problem.The only time I have a problem with fogging is when I perspire heavily.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, momofmeg said:

People are all to quick to point out all the inconsistencies from the CDS and WHO, and refuse to just do a little mental thought and how breathing works, how masks around your nose and mouth what they do to what you breath in and out.  

Other people like to spend endless amount of time talking about ill fitted N95, etc. etc. or argue about people who don't cover their nose or mouth..  

Then others make excuse about comfort or convenience.  Of course they will be hot, harder to breath.  I can except some really are so weak they can't use mask, but maybe if it is that bad and you are that weak maybe you should be up and about?

But in the end covering up is better than being naked, but people simply don't want to get down and admit the obvious for whatever selfish purpose/motive.

Edited by chipmaster

On 5/15/2020 at 8:04 AM, ontheweb said:

Yes DW and I are native born citizens and have not been fingerprinted at any airport. We have not been to Asia, so have not experienced what might happen at those airport locations.

I never said I doubted that non-residents were fingerprinted when entering the USA. I am a bit surprised that other countries have not retaliated by demanding the same of US residents entering their countries.

They have.  Brazil was one of the first ones to do it as retaliation.

But many countries fingerprint non-citizens when they enter the country.  Some even do both hands, including the thumbs.

I have no idea what the US does, as I have had Global Entry from the beginning, so do not stand in the normal lines.

25 minutes ago, SRF said:

They have.  Brazil was one of the first ones to do it as retaliation.

Are you sure about that? I have no recollection of being fingerprinted. AND Brazil no longer requires visas for US citizens.

If you wear a mask, will you also wear gloves? Touch a surface with covid on, touch your face and mask or no mask you could catch the disease. It lies of surfaces alive for up to 72 hours, unless you cabin steward is doing a thorough deep clean of each cabin, he/she could help the spread. As has been said before, if we have or need to wear masks on a cruise they won't be happening. However, going ashore is another thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 5:49 PM, chipmaster said:

People are all to quick to point out all the inconsistencies from the CDS and WHO, and refuse to just do a little mental thought and how breathing works, how masks around your nose and mouth what they do to what you breath in and out.  

Other people like to spend endless amount of time talking about ill fitted N95, etc. etc. or argue about people who don't cover their nose or mouth..  

Then others make excuse about comfort or convenience.  Of course they will be hot, harder to breath.  I can except some really are so weak they can't use mask, but maybe if it is that bad and you are that weak maybe you should be up and about?

But in the end covering up is better than being naked, but people simply don't want to get down and admit the obvious for whatever selfish purpose/motive.

Bottom line the way I see it is there is a  very good reason Europe has banned Americans from coming there. I get it, we have too many cases and why? Because too many exercise their "right" not to wear a mask. People can argue all they want that masks do not really work but in the countries where people comply the cases are down.

At this point I am simply hoping I get to do my trip to Scotland, England, and and Ireland in 11 months and that is not another canceled cruise because of COVID. 

On 6/30/2020 at 7:11 PM, clo said:

104677977_3051053588304446_1478527895796660722_o.jpg

On 6/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, ontheweb said:

Or maybe Hazmat suits.

That may be your idea of a joke but the reality is cruising will not be allowed  again until this pandemic is over. I do not find that funny myself.  I already had one cruise canceled and the way things are looking the next one could be canceled too.

3 hours ago, momofmeg said:

That may be your idea of a joke but the reality is cruising will not be allowed  again until this pandemic is over. I do not find that funny myself.  I already had one cruise canceled and the way things are looking the next one could be canceled too.

MANY  of us here had cruises cancelled and I have not  read anyone post that made them happy.

pouting about it changes nothing, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, momofmeg said:

I agree, look what happened to a recent cruise in Europe, 1000 passengers, started out good, oops one got sick and tested positive and there goes the reputation.  https://finlandtoday.fi/several-coronavirus-cases-found-on-cruise-ferries-multiple-exposures-possible-on-silja-europa/

Got to wonder how the cruiselines will balance this after the horrible PR from Diamond and others, that is the last thing they need.  Yet they are burning cash and financing will get increasing expensive.  

Yet we have die-hards, I'm a die hard.  I'm going to the gym, going out to eat ( all wearing a mask )  and would cruise with proper safe guards, but don't think it will be back till 2022 in any shape, nor return to the way it makes it enjoyable for me till 2023

Edited by chipmaster