Banned for filing a claim with your Credit Card Co?

dag144

12 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Just to follow up on my previous post, both disputes I filed were settled in my favor. I received full credit back from PayPail on the excursions we booked for Greece and from American Express for our Rome Excursions. Both were booked with independent companies who offered a full refund for cancellations with 24 hours notice at the time we booked, then only offered certificates for future use when our cruise was canceled.

If you are having issues getting a refund from an excursion company, don’t be afraid to file a dispute with the company you used to pay them originally. They have more power to get something done than we do as individuals.

Not a cruise excursion, but we had booked the transportation to NY City and play tickets with a local merchant. When all Broadway plays were shut down, I called and asked for a refund. The owner said NO REFUNDS, and it does say that on his company's website. I said that cannot possibly apply when you can no longer supply the service. He was adamant until I said OK, I'll contact the credit card I used. He said please don't, and sent an e-mail that I would be refunded. It took a few weeks, but I did receive a full refund.

I'm actually not doing the same with Princess. They are promising a refund as opposed to no refund, and we actually have very little at stake as we cancelled before we made final payment. Our TA said back in early April when I called to cancel that they were still working on March so our July refund would take awhile.

ontheweb;  question about the company that refused to refund your money for broadway play.  Do you think they were scared that they would lose business with credit card company?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I'm actually not doing the same with Princess. They are promising a refund as opposed to no refund, and we actually have very little at stake as we cancelled before we made final payment. Our TA said back in early April when I called to cancel that they were still working on March so our July refund would take awhile.

I probably wouldn't either if it was just deposits. I have a lot more tied up. It was a month trip plus air and hotels. I am close to 90 days waiting.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

ontheweb;  question about the company that refused to refund your money for broadway play.  Do you think they were scared that they would lose business with credit card company?

I can't say for sure, but the owner who I spoke to and know sounded scared when I mentioned I would take it up with the credit card company.

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

In the credit card processing system, the acquiring bank, the one servicing the merchants account for credit card transactions, is at risk for the value of charge backs if the merchant defaults.  Too many charge backs and the ban may impose additional requirements for the merchant to leave more funds in the account as well as additional fees for the charge backs themselves.

The cost and difficulty of dealing with charge backs is a major issue for even honest merchants. Even if the charge back is found in the favor of the merchant, there is a cost per charge back, and as mentioned above it might impact the willingness of the acquiring back to continue to do business with them, or set a higher fee amount.

The ironic thing in this case, is if the merchant in fact had a no refunds policy (well documented in the terms and conditions) , then even if hit with a charge back, it most likely would have been found in his favor. 

2 hours ago, npcl said:

The ironic thing in this case, is if the merchant in fact had a no refunds policy (well documented in the terms and conditions) , then even if hit with a charge back, it most likely would have been found in his favor. 

Really? The no refund policy to me meant I could not just cancel. Or I was out of luck if for instance I got sick and could not go. I find it hard to believe that a merchant could successfully cite a no refund policy when he could not provide the service offered and paid for in advance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, npcl said:

Let me add that if somehow the merchant had won on this because his website said no refunds, I would have next contacted my State's Attorney General's Office to make a complaint about a policy that allows no refunds even if the merchant can no longer deliver the goods he was paid for in advance. I have a feeling that she and her office would have had a field day going after him.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, Astro Flyer said:

My TA has our best interest at heart & said that any commission wouldn’t offset the frustration of her dealing with Princess any further...we filed a chargecard claim.

You’ve previously read about our situation (took 60 days to learn they lost our 3/12 Option 1 requests despite confirmation on that date) & in over 60 days all Princess has done is to delete our FCD from our Captain’s Circle account that was used for our cruise...not right!

Being banned from future cruises for taking action to get our refunds is a risk we’re willing to take & would take our business elsewhere if Princess were to be so petty & vindictive.

And I'll come with you Frank! 

On 5/30/2020 at 7:34 AM, ontheweb said:

He was adamant until I said OK, I'll contact the credit card I used. He said please don't, and sent an e-mail that I would be refunded. It took a few weeks, but I did receive a full refund.

My experience is that American Express is excellent for the customer in this situation.

Other cards may be just as good, but I have no personal experience.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

My experience is that American Express is excellent for the customer in this situation.

Other cards may be just as good, but I have no personal experience.

I agree 100%. Actually that was the cc company I said I would contact.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, oceanlovinmama said:

Wrong....you should be though.  They have promised you your money back, but you aren’t giving them the time to follow through.  Do you know how many people they are dealing with, and with a reduced staff? Give them a break...but my agency may not allow us to do business with clients who do this.  It takes away any protected commission and technically the supplier(cruiseline) could come after us for payment.  It’s a huge headache for people who can’t be understanding and patient.  

Salty!

We feel for the TA's but no one can be expected to wait indefinitely with thousands of dollars  at stake!  If the 60 days are up then we have every right to file with the Credit Card.

As for the amount of work to process these refunds, the airlines have faced the same mammoth task and from posts on these forums they appear to have refunded thousands of customers in just a few weeks.So the cruise lines can do it too!

We waited 62 days and filed for one cruise and we will do the same for the other in 14 days. We have no refund and it is now at the 76 day mark.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

We feel for the TA's but no one can be expected to wait indefinitely with thousands of dollars  at stake!  If the 60 days are up then we have every right to file with the Credit Card.

As for the amount of work to process these refunds, the airlines have faced the same mammoth task and from posts on these forums they appear to have refunded thousands of customers in just a few weeks.So the cruise lines can do it too!

We waited 62 days and filed for one cruise and we will do the same for the other in 14 days. We have no refund and it is now at the 76 day mark.

You are correct.....we had to cancel an international FC ticket two weeks ago with a major US airline and received the refund to credit card in less then 7 days.  Princess is just not that special when it comes to the travel business but they sure want you to join the Princess pity party on why their refunds are beyond incredibly slow or non-existent.  File the credit card dispute because it is what finally got our money back from Princess.

Edited by PrincessLuver

On 5/29/2020 at 4:00 PM, JT1962 said:

Just to follow up on my previous post, both disputes I filed were settled in my favor. I received full credit back from PayPail on the excursions we booked for Greece and from American Express for our Rome Excursions. Both were booked with independent companies who offered a full refund for cancellations with 24 hours notice at the time we booked, then only offered certificates for future use when our cruise was canceled.

If you are having issues getting a refund from an excursion company, don’t be afraid to file a dispute with the company you used to pay them originally. They have more power to get something done than we do as individuals.

On the flip side, I had disputes settled in my favor with American Express, Chase, and PayPal. I decided to reverse them when Princess offered double FCCs on deposits. PayPal doesn't reopen closed disputes. I was on hold with Chase for 45 minutes, but they took care of it. It took a minute online with American Express to repost the charge. Also, I cancelled my tours with Alla Tours in Russia. They told me it might take up to two weeks to process the credit. It posted on my CC two days later.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

The airlines' task is simpler. Whatever you paid you get your $$$ back if it is a refundable ticket or a credit if it is not.

The airlines do not need to deal with choices between different options or bonus FCCs. They also do not jhave to deal with different rules for three sets of pauses.

This is not to excuse Princess from processing the refunds/FCCs in a decent amount of time, but the Princess refund process is significantly different from what the airlines need to do.

Yes, some of the Princess refunds should be very straight forward amd quick to process, but I do not think Princess is processing refunds starting with easy ones first and complicated ones later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The airlines' task is simpler. Whatever you paid you get your $$$ back if it is a refundable ticket or a credit if it is not.

The airlines do not need to deal with choices between different options or bonus FCCs. They also do not jhave to deal with different rules for three sets of pauses.

This is not to excuse Princess from processing the refunds/FCCs in a decent amount of time, but the Princess refund process is significantly different from what the airlines need to do.

Yes, some of the Princess refunds should be very straight forward amd quick to process, but I do not think Princess is processing refunds starting with easy ones first and complicated ones later.

Well ours should be about as simple as it can be. Before Princess cancelled we cancelled and have a refundable deposit.

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Well ours should be about as simple as it can be. Before Princess cancelled we cancelled and have a refundable deposit.

I agree. Ours was-- took the money --refund the money back to the same card!!

Those that got complicated with FCC's and the like should be handled by a different department and not given priority as they can;t use the FCC anytime soon anyway!  No excuses are valid!

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Airlines refunds have many options too.  If you fly a lot you know that airline tickets can be complicated and are not just cut and dried transactions.  

However, it was very simple for our credit card company to rule in our favor and the money owed us by Princess is now back in our bank account.  

People need to go the simple route and file a credit card dispute to get you money back and just let Princess keep stalling with excuse after excuse on why refunds are so hard after almost 3 months..

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

For those of you who filed a credit card dispute. Question; did you book your cruise directly with Princess or use a Travel Agent other than Princess?

I booked with an agent. My dispute was never settled (still in progress) and Princess did finally refund my money yesterday.

Edited by Coral

We used a TA and they have only sent a " party line" e.mail stating that Princess is overwhelmed and trying to deal with the situation so be patient!

That was 3 weeks ago. Still waiting!