Muster Drill

On 6/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, Oldpeoplecruising said:

Chaos will be an understatement.    

I don't agree. I've watched a tremendous amount of the footage from the costa concordia and everyone looked very calm and not running around with their hair on fire.

Stress and anxiety...sure, but not to the point where people were being trampled.

• Like 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

You really don't see a difference between giving directions to one or two people and having to give directions to all of the passengers at the same time? Why do you think fire companies, police forces, and ambulance personnel for instance have lots of drills?

The examples I gave do not involve one or to people.  I work in a high rise office building.  We have one fire drill a year.  Somehow we figure out how to get to the stairwells and exit the building without crew steering us. 

I find it entertaining that some people are so opposed to change, even when there is a better way to do something.  And there is usually a better way, it’s called innovation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

You really don't see a difference between giving directions to one or two people and having to give directions to all of the passengers at the same time? Why do you think fire companies, police forces, and ambulance personnel for instance have lots of drills?

Especially cruisers who are wide eyed newbies, those slightly inebriated, those more than slightly inebriated, those who have not much interaction with crew's whose accent is unfamilar .

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

The examples I gave do not involve one or to people.  I work in a high rise office building.  We have one fire drill a year.  Somehow we figure out how to get to the stairwells and exit the building without crew steering us. 

I find it entertaining that some people are so opposed to change, even when there is a better way to do something.  And there is usually a better way, it’s called innovation. 

And would it be fair to say that all of you know in advance where the stairs are? It is not a new environment to you. Would it be fair to say there had not been a lot of drinking going on like on a cruise ship.

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I worked in Property Management in Los Angeles and we had to conduct fire drills.  Wore a vest designating my role and this was done periodically. This drill wasn't for the tenants of the building, it was for the people that needed to know how to lead them to the proper area for exit. I never realized this until I read @chengkp75 comments. Made a big difference in my perception regarding emergency protocol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

I don't agree. I've watched a tremendous amount of the footage from the costa concordia and everyone looked very calm and not running around with their hair on fire.

Stress and anxiety...sure, but not to the point where people were being trampled.

Yeah. Worked really great. Except for the people who died. Look what happened and the ship did not even sink!  Go figure. 

1 hour ago, Sam Ting said:

Yeah. Worked really great. Except for the people who died. Look what happened and the ship did not even sink!  Go figure. 

And IIRC, they had not had a muster drill. It was after that disaster that it was mandated that a ship could not set sail before having a muster drill.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, coevan said:

tough for a boat to sink in 20' of water, it ran aground, no one was in any danger of drowning. People who died of injuries from the sudden jolt of hitting the rocks.

I read the testimony. Clearly that was not the case. Apparently their training and action/inaction lead to many of the deaths. 

3 hours ago, coevan said:

mandated muster drills go way further back then the Concordia

Read my post again. I did not say that there were no mandated muster drills before the Concordia. I said they did not yet have their muster drill, and it was only after that that they were mandated BEFORE sailing.

point taken, this was a freak accident. I have had a USCG Captains license for 40 years. How so many people on the bridge did not know their 35' of draft was about to go in 20' of water is quite unbelievable. I can't even fathom, pardon the pun. 

On 6/6/2020 at 8:17 PM, coevan said:

tough for a boat to sink in 20' of water, it ran aground, no one was in any danger of drowning. People who died of injuries from the sudden jolt of hitting the rocks.

i could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure the documentary I watched on the Costa Concordia several years ago stated thirty something people died from drowning. 

15 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

I read the testimony. Clearly that was not the case. Apparently their training and action/inaction lead to many of the deaths. 

Where did you read the testimony?

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

i could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure the documentary I watched on the Costa Concordia several years ago stated thirty something people died from drowning. 

You are correct, 34 I believe.  The blundering captain, who caused to disaster so his girl friend could wave to family or friends on the island, by total luck saved a much larger disaster.  He turned the ship around. And grounded her.  That said, it was on a shelf that 30 feet out dropped about 7,000 feet.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:49 PM, Sam Ting said:

The Concordia was a multi embark cruise ship.  They had just left the port and HADNOT had a muster.  Requirements are they have one within 24 hours.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You are correct, 34 I believe.  The blundering captain, who caused to disaster so his girl friend could wave to family or friends on the island, by total luck saved a much larger disaster.  He turned the ship around. And grounded her.  That said, it was on a shelf that 30 feet out dropped about 7,000 feet.

I'll disagree with the statement that Schettino saved a worse disaster. He had absolutely no control over the ship after the power went out, and the ship DRIFTED with the wind back to Giglio.  Had the ship stayed in deep water, it wouldn't have rolled over, and would have taken longer to sink upright, so easier and longer to get everyone off. It was only the second grounding that caused the rapid roll over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll disagree with the statement that Schettino saved a worse disaster. He had absolutely no control over the ship after the power went out, and the ship DRIFTED with the wind back to Giglio.  Had the ship stayed in deep water, it wouldn't have rolled over, and would have taken longer to sink upright, so easier and longer to get everyone off. It was only the second grounding that caused the rapid roll over.

Stand corrected

On 5/20/2020 at 9:53 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Because people need a "muscle memory" of where to go to muster.  It isn't just about how to put on your vest. They want you to have been at least once to the physical part of the ship where you would be required to report 

I get this, but on a lot of ships, the muster station is in a theater, dining room, on Lido, or other area not next to the life boats, and the life boats are the main purpose of the drill.

6 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

I get this, but on a lot of ships, the muster station is in a theater, dining room, on Lido, or other area not next to the life boats, and the life boats are the main purpose of the drill.

Getting into life boats and abandoning ship is not the main purpose of the muster drill.  The idea is to get people to their muster stations in the event of an emergency.  Depending on what transpires, the captain will decide on what needs to be done and the passengers can be directed to do things in, hopefully, an orderly manner.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Getting into life boats and abandoning ship is not the main purpose of the muster drill.  The idea is to get people to their muster stations in the event of an emergency.  Depending on what transpires, the captain will decide on what needs to be done and the passengers can be directed to do things in, hopefully, an orderly manner.

Okay.  But I can't think of another scenario where a gathering of hundreds of people, shoulder to shoulder, would be necessary unless we needed to get off the ship ASAP.  If there is, God forbid, a shooting attack to the ship, I would think a giant group of people would be a target. *I'm seriously not trying to argue, but that's the only scenario I could think of that would personally affect ALL the passengers*

21 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

Okay.  But I can't think of another scenario where a gathering of hundreds of people, shoulder to shoulder, would be necessary unless we needed to get off the ship ASAP.  If there is, God forbid, a shooting attack to the ship, I would think a giant group of people would be a target. *I'm seriously not trying to argue, but that's the only scenario I could think of that would personally affect ALL the passengers*

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about.  Evidently, I haven’t followed the thread closely enough.