Half Capacity Sailing

1 minute ago, HxFx said:

I guess I'm weird too! I love a body massage but cannot stand having my face massaged. I was really surprised how unpleasant it was to me.

WRT to spa services, I can get nice massages here at home so focus on getting out in the sun and water. I wouldn't mind a sauna/steam though. Are they really expensive to use?

The Carnival ships I have cruised on have steam rooms and sauna rooms that are accessible through the locker rooms on the way to the gym.  No charge.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Of course they will. You raise prices and then have sales on slow moving crap. Consumers can be very gullible.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They won't need gradual increases - over time cruising will grow and volume will increase.

No one raises prices during a slowing economy because consumers have choices and people watch what they spend.  This is no different than how it has worked in any other downturn.  The deals are to tempt scared consumers into purchases today and price increases come slowly as the fear subsides.

8 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I guess I'm weird too! I love a body massage but cannot stand having my face massaged. I was really surprised how unpleasant it was to me.

WRT to spa services, I can get nice massages here at home so focus on getting out in the sun and water. I wouldn't mind a sauna/steam though. Are they really expensive to use?

I would do one of those rock massages or couples mud, but I hated the facial. Tensed me up completely. Never again for me. I'll leave them for someone who likes them.

Just now, firefly333 said:

I would do one of those rock massages or couples mud, but I hated the facial. Tensed me up completely. Never again for me. I'll leave them for someone who likes them.

Dont ever do the "lose inches through electrical stimulus" spa treatment!  I volunteered before the spa tour started and the tech placed little glue-on strips on my body.  Yikes, it felt like I was being attacked by ants!  I didn't have to pay money, but that's 2 hours I'll never get back. And I didn't notice any change in my measurements. 😠

If you are going to reduce seats in MDR , MT, clubs,  you are going to have to reduce passages by 50%.   Or dinner is going go be four seating times ?    Then there life boat drill.  Elevators.  The pool. 

2 minutes ago, jakeT said:

If you are going to reduce seats in MDR , MT, clubs,  you are going to have to reduce passages by 50%.   Or dinner is going go be four seating times ?    Then there life boat drill.  Elevators.  The pool. 

There are lots of obstacles to overcome.  I hope they have some brilliant minds at the round table discussions.

11 minutes ago, jakeT said:

I've heard virtual muster drills, have to watch them on your TV maybe

27 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You could be right.  The issue I see here is that the passengers needing to be quarantined mid-cruise should have been asymptomatic at the beginning of the cruise.

There will be many crew members and fellow passengers who have already come into contact with newly confirmed sick passengers.  It's hard to see how moving them makes any difference.

Deep cleaning surely will be required for all cabins on each embarkation day.

I agree it is more optics than medical.  I don't know if moving them will have any impact on the spread.  But you do not want a nurse or dr in full PPE gear roaming the hallways or a room steward going in one infected room (in PPE or NOT) and then into a non infected room.  I would also think it would be much easier to monitor if all were in the same area not spread out around the ship.  Also, if they did create a "covid" area, they could have an outside area set up so people are not stuck in that little room 24 hours a day.  This would also allow them to have a "covid crew" so that only a handful of people work with them, i.e. room stewards, nurses and Drs that won't be interacting with other crew or guests on the ship.  

it would also be good PR for the cruise lines if they could say they had a detailed plan, which included X number of rooms set aside as a quarantine area and that they were fully equipped to handle the virus should it appear. Including full functioning medical rooms (think ICU rooms).  I don't know how they do that now, so maybe they already have that. I have never visited the Dr on a cruise yet (knock on wood).  

But for the next 6 months to a year, its not really about making money (although it would be nice if they did) it is going to be about building up confidence in the industry.  While they can't stop the virus - it will re appear on cruises, just like all other virus do including the flu,  they can show they are able to handle it.  They didn't do so good the first time around and I hope they learned something.  

• Like 1

I think moving anyone who tests positive to a quarantined area is a good idea.  They would be away from other passengers.  A dedicated crew could be responsible for assisting with cleaning and food delivery, along with securing any items removed from the quarantined area.  I think leaving a covid-positive person in their original cabin might create more drama and panic than necessary if other passengers became aware of it.  This way, the crew can also be certain the covid-positive person will not be wandering around the ship.

Edited by TNcruising02

14 minutes ago, jakeT said:

Not necessarily.   They could turn the Lido deck into a very casual MDR area.  Tables and waiters instead of buffet.  They could also include an option of MDR for room service delivery so people could choose to eat in their rooms but get the same food.  Elevators is going to be an issue.  But at the same time, you shouldn't be in their longer than 10 min, so according to the CDC guidelines, that is a very low risk area, even lower if you chose to wear a mask and they could have a no talking rule lol.  Shows and the bars will be a big issue as well.  We will just have to wait and see how they do it.  

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think moving anyone who tests positive to a quarantined area is a good idea.  They would be away from other passengers.  A dedicated crew could be responsible for assisting with cleaning and food delivery, along with securing any items removed from the quarantined area.  I think leaving a covid-positive person in their original cabin might create more drama and panic than necessary if other passengers became aware of it.  This way, the crew can also be certain the covid-positive person will not be wandering around the ship.

They could also utilize the other ships to at least initially quarantine any passengers that potentially could have the virus. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

No one raises prices during a slowing economy because consumers have choices and people watch what they spend.  This is no different than how it has worked in any other downturn.  The deals are to tempt scared consumers into purchases today and price increases come slowly as the fear subsides.

The ribeyes I just bought cost $3/pound more than they did a few weeks ago. But I'm a gullible beef lover.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

They could also utilize the other ships to at least initially quarantine any passengers that potentially could have the virus. 

It does seem like best case scenario would be to get them off of the ship as soon as possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, regoodwinjr said:

Wouldn't that mean having 2 ships doing the same sailing with only 1 with passengers and crew?  I understand getting them off the ship point and it's a good one but I don't think having a trailing ship for every cruise is practical.   It would be cheaper for Carnival to contract with each port to have medical transport ready to go so they could get people off and back to their ports quickly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, regoodwinjr said:

Yes, they can but they won't be in business long. You can't raise prices and expect to win back consumers.  They're a lot of other businesses that are competing for that business and are willing to make less per sale in order to get that consumer to make a purchase.

These are "one time visits to the store".....not repeat customers.

They're not planning to see you again.

Just now, MsTabbyKats said:

Yes, but there are many stores vying for the business so they will price competitively or lose the business.

1 minute ago, regoodwinjr said:

Yes, but there are many stores vying for the business so they will price competitively or lose the business.

Yes...they will compete....by raising prices.....and the one who raises "the least" gets the business.

9 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That's not totally accurate.  They absolutely want you sail again with them. Maybe a different ship but the same line.  Brand Loyalty is how they really make money. And their number 1 objective, as with every other international business, Ford vs Chevy comes to mind.   One bad experience, including price gauging, can cause someone to try a different brand.  That is what will keep them from jacking up prices.  I had a bad experience with a Nissan so I will never buy another one. Doesn't mean they aren't good cars just means Nissan won't get my money.  If that happens to enough people, it starts to hurt the bottom line.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The ribeyes I just bought cost $3/pound more than they did a few weeks ago. But I'm a gullible beef lover.

Supply and demand. A scarcity in a product cause the price to increase and it's completely different from raising prices on something that isn't in short suppy.

1 minute ago, regoodwinjr said:

Supply and demand. A scarcity in a product cause the price to increase and it's completely different from raising prices on something that isn't in short suppy.

Easy enough to reduce supply to increase demand.  There's no shortage of toilet paper or sanitizer - just people hoarding them to create the illusion.

35 minutes ago, Cowboys4ever said:

I agree it is more optics than medical.  I don't know if moving them will have any impact on the spread.  But you do not want a nurse or dr in full PPE gear roaming the hallways or a room steward going in one infected room (in PPE or NOT) and then into a non infected room.  I would also think it would be much easier to monitor if all were in the same area not spread out around the ship.  Also, if they did create a "covid" area, they could have an outside area set up so people are not stuck in that little room 24 hours a day.  This would also allow them to have a "covid crew" so that only a handful of people work with them, i.e. room stewards, nurses and Drs that won't be interacting with other crew or guests on the ship.  

it would also be good PR for the cruise lines if they could say they had a detailed plan, which included X number of rooms set aside as a quarantine area and that they were fully equipped to handle the virus should it appear. Including full functioning medical rooms (think ICU rooms).  I don't know how they do that now, so maybe they already have that. I have never visited the Dr on a cruise yet (knock on wood).  

But for the next 6 months to a year, its not really about making money (although it would be nice if they did) it is going to be about building up confidence in the industry.  While they can't stop the virus - it will re appear on cruises, just like all other virus do including the flu,  they can show they are able to handle it.  They didn't do so good the first time around and I hope they learned something.  

Thanks for the cogent explanation of your thinking.  It could well make sense.

I have 4 booked cruises at stake and am trying to walk a fine line between realism and optimism.  I don't discount any opinions but like to hear the whys and hows.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

What you see is not what is available (either plus or minus).  Even on the TA booking engine (which shows more) we cannot see all the cabins available.   The point is, you do not know how many open cabins there are by looking online. 

This is true.  When booking our upcoming cruise, the Carnival website only showed a couple if cabins available.   We called our TA and half the floor was still available.  We were able to pick the cabin we wanted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

The Carnival ships I have cruised on have steam rooms and sauna rooms that are accessible through the locker rooms on the way to the gym.  No charge.

I believe the ships that have a Cloud 9 Spa, you need to purchase a pass or have a spa cabin.

• Thanks 1