Half Capacity Sailing

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t see too many people risking getting arrested and/or kicked off a ship for not wearing a mask if one is required. It is far more likely, as posted countless times on this forum, that if Carnival requires masks people who don’t want to wear them won’t cruise. 

Personally I never wear a mask unless I am required to wear one. For example, Costco requires them and since I like Costco, I wear one when I go there. Same would apply with Carnival or any cruise line for that matter. If they want me to wear a mask, I will wear one. But when we go out to eat, which we have done a dozen times now since Florida allowed it, we never wear a mask and most other guests don’t wear them either, although the staff at every restaurant we have been to wears them without exception.  

Bottom line in my book is if you want to cruise on Carnival, you have to play by their rules, whatever they may be. 

I mean this seriously....how could a guest at a restaurant wear a mask?

This has been my topic with DH today.  Even if they ever open restaurants here again...it would be impossible to dine out with friends since, when the mask comes off, and you're speaking, particles come out of your mouth.  So you'd need to distance yourself 6 ft. and scream if you want to hear each other.

51 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

And it depends on where you're from. My county had 346 total covid cases. 24 deaths.

And mine had about 20,000 deaths.

Imagine the lawsuits if Carnival were to sail...and one person got sick because "social distancing" wasn't maintained.

It's up to each person to do what they want, but Carnival needs to protect itself from liability due to lax standards or enforcement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Or we have a different idea of measurements. Those people aren't six feet apart. I call that 3-4 feet. Imagine a 6 foot tall person laying on the ground between them. Then we're talking about the same thing.

Perhaps they are using the metric system?

Alchemy Bar could adapt/adopt these

social-distaning-tables.jpg?quality=85&s

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t see too many people risking getting arrested and/or kicked off a ship for not wearing a mask if one is required. It is far more likely, as posted countless times on this forum, that if Carnival requires masks people who don’t want to wear them won’t cruise. 

Personally I never wear a mask unless I am required to wear one. For example, Costco requires them and since I like Costco, I wear one when I go there. Same would apply with Carnival or any cruise line for that matter. If they want me to wear a mask, I will wear one. But when we go out to eat, which we have done a dozen times now since Florida allowed it, we never wear a mask and most other guests don’t wear them either, although the staff at every restaurant we have been to wears them without exception.  

Bottom line in my book is if you want to cruise on Carnival, you have to play by their rules, whatever they may be. 

Pretty much the same here. Businesses are requiring them for employees but not for customers. My company requires them in front of customers. I work in a back office so I don't wear one. Nobody wears them back here. I had to go out in front of customers once in the past 10 days for two hours and that mask was horrible. It was one of those disposables. I've heard the cotton ones are better but I couldn't do an entire day in that thing. And out in public I'd estimate 5% of people here wear them. I stopped at Buffalo Wild Wings for some takeout on traditional Tuesday. They have tables open now. Every other table was closed. Bar was closed. Employees were wearing masks but customers aren't. Again I'm not in a hot spot though. Most of the media are in NYC and it seems like they want the entire country to act as though they're in NYC. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Imagine the lawsuits if Carnival were to sail...and one person got sick because "social distancing" wasn't maintained.

It's up to each person to do what they want, but Carnival needs to protect itself from liability due to lax standards or enforcement.

They will not be sailing from your neighborhood.  If they wait 2 years the lawsuits are the moot.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Easy enough to modify the ticket contract to eliminate covid lawsuits.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Easy enough to modify the ticket contract to eliminate covid lawsuits.

Just like Disney is going to have you sign a waiver if you want to eat or drink in their parks.

• Like 2

I don't see many fights breaking out drunks or not. Confine trouble makers to their cabin for the rest of the cruise without refunds and/or put them off at the next port without recourse. Word will get around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They will not be sailing from your neighborhood.  If they wait 2 years the lawsuits are the moot.

Right. They'll cruise from a place like Galveston that only had 700 cases and 30 deaths.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting where we'll be with testing in 3 months. If we're in a place where I can take a test before I get off  of the ship. Negative you go home. Positive you go to the hospital. I'll feel pretty good about my ability to keep myself from getting infected on a ship.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Pretty much the same here. Businesses are requiring them for employees but not for customers. My company requires them in front of customers. I work in a back office so I don't wear one. Nobody wears them back here. I had to go out in front of customers once in the past 10 days for two hours and that mask was horrible. It was one of those disposables. I've heard the cotton ones are better but I couldn't do an entire day in that thing. And out in public I'd estimate 5% of people here wear them. I stopped at Buffalo Wild Wings for some takeout on traditional Tuesday. They have tables open now. Every other table was closed. Bar was closed. Employees were wearing masks but customers aren't. Again I'm not in a hot spot though. Most of the media are in NYC and it seems like they want the entire country to act as though they're in NYC. 

Exactly.  Where I live, people at businesses that deal with customers wear masks.  My husband went to get his hair cut and customers had to wear masks.  When I go grocery shopping, only the employees are required to wear masks.  Some of the customers do and some don't.  With only 315 deaths in my entire state, it's not the same high risk situation as the people who live in New York with their subways and high-rises.  It's just not the same and never will be the same.  We are ready to get back to living life.  The people who are vulnerable, like my father, stay home or avoid contact while out and about.

If sailing is at half capacity, it would be a very relaxing cruise to me as long as I didn't have to wear a mask on a ship.  They would still have shows, but I assume we wouldn't have to sit directly next to someone.  I like that.  I would also like to not have anyone next to me on the lounge chairs or in the theaters.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

They won't have production shows.  The dressing rooms are very tight.  The performers won't be able to social distance and they need to "speak" loud to project their voices and be close/have physical contact with each other.

If they sail, they'll probably substitute one person acts.

You many not care about social distancing...but Carnival will.

The seats were "no room between them".  If they make them 6 feet apart (or even per couple)....how many seats do  you think they could fit into a comedy club?  I think it would be a lot less than half of the current seating.  And nobody will be able to sit "up front" because you'll be too close to the entertainers.

You are thinking in terms of "things how they were"....at half capacity.  Things won't be "as they were".  The capacity per showing will be less than half.

I would think that the dancers / performers for the shows would have spent well over 2 weeks on the ship. Non Covid employees changing in dressing rooms should not be a show stopper. Now we the audience will have to social distance turn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Take the stairs. Do not touch the railings.

Good luck, from my memory lots of people are huffing and puffing up and down and look less than stable, admire them for doing it and not doing the lazy elevator, but even more important in this social distancing world,    

I guess if they put a sanitizer station at every place they have hand rails that would be good mitigation.

• Like 1

According to the same PVP that I've used for almost 20 years, the ships in the opening phase of August will sail at half capacity. She also told me that they are expecting cancellations and will start with this to reduce passengers. I didn't bother to ask any further questions as I know she is limited in what she can say. She did offer up that they are working diligently with the CDC to get things going again. Imagine half capacity at the pools. You won't have that cloudy looking water in the afternoon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Most of the media are in NYC and it seems like they want the entire country to act as though they're in NYC. 

i agree with many of your posts but this one is just not true. Yes, the networks all have a presence, they do as well in L.A. and Atlanta. There is media in every major city in the U.S. We live in rural Colorado 53 cases, 2 hospitalization, no deaths, and no new cases in 14 days. we are entering phase 2 with 50% of capacity and more non essentials are all opening. Denver 250 miles away is still pretty clamped down. Many rural areas are opening much much more quickly than congested cities.

35 minutes ago, coevan said:

i agree with many of your posts but this one is just not true. Yes, the networks all have a presence, they do as well in L.A. and Atlanta. There is media in every major city in the U.S. We live in rural Colorado 53 cases, 2 hospitalization, no deaths, and no new cases in 14 days. we are entering phase 2 with 50% of capacity and more non essentials are all opening. Denver 250 miles away is still pretty clamped down. Many rural areas are opening much much more quickly than congested cities.

I’m talking about national media. 

1 hour ago, outdoors27 said:

According to the same PVP that I've used for almost 20 years, the ships in the opening phase of August will sail at half capacity. She also told me that they are expecting cancellations and will start with this to reduce passengers. I didn't bother to ask any further questions as I know she is limited in what she can say. She did offer up that they are working diligently with the CDC to get things going again. Imagine half capacity at the pools. You won't have that cloudy looking water in the afternoon. 

I have my doubts about them getting my cruise down to 50% through cancellations but I won’t complain if they do.

• Like 1

I worry a bit about the elevators, but it's low on my priority list.  There are a lot of ways to mitigate that risk, and I'm sure Carnival will use most of them.

Much more worrisome, to me, is the MDR.  The way it was run before this pause offers a whole bunch of ways to be infected, and capacity reductions will only affect some of them.

@Joe817

I’ve probably learned more in the past 2 months about people’s beliefs, lack of empathy and general distrust in their fellow man than I’ve experienced in the prior 50+ years of my life.  No reason to try to reason much less understand their position.  As you can see in my last post I occasionally have fun with them if for no other reason knowing these silly posts will soon be deleted.

I have no problem with them wanting to cruise soon even if I don’t yet.  I do (or did) have a problem with the politics they refuse to keep out of these boards and belittling and name calling.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail
  • Like 2