Half Capacity Sailing

We are booked on the August 29th sailing on the Breeze.  I am wondering what half capacity will look like. I am  sort of looking forward to it.  No long lines. More available loungers on Serenity.  More room in the pools.  No more crowded elevators.   It might not be so bad.  Thoughts?

• Like 2

Aug 29th Magic also.  I haven’t heard anything about 1/2 capacities. If that was the case what half will get kicked. 

To answer the OP question. I would love a 1/2 full ship with full crew.  

Earlier in this shut down Carnival was suggesting that they may limit the bookings when restarting sailings up to half capacity.  I don't know if they will actually do through with plan. I was just trying to imagine what it would be like.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Earlier in this shut down Carnival was suggesting that they may limit the bookings when restarting sailings up to half capacity.  I don't know if they will actually do through with plan. I was just trying to imagine what it would be like.

I remember something like that as well, I just can't find the email.  I remember it stressing "progressively" returning to sailings, heightened cleaning and limited number of passengers. Anyone have that email?

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We are booked on the August 29th sailing on the Breeze.  I am wondering what half capacity will look like. I am  sort of looking forward to it.  No long lines. More available loungers on Serenity.  More room in the pools.  No more crowded elevators.   It might not be so bad.  Thoughts?

So, instead of one inch between you and the guy in front of you on line....with 50% capacity you now get 2 inches!

It won't do anything "covid-wise" unless there's social distancing and mask enforcement.  One unmasked loud asymptomatic  person can emit millions or billions of virus particles per "excuse me" on the elevator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wider perspective here.  There have been whispers for a while that the cruise lines will limit bookings to encourage or facilitate 'social distancing'.  Royal even went so far as to say certain break-even points were 30-50%.

The cruise lines are closely watching how the theme parks are handling reopening and they are being very open about capacity limits.

How does a half book cruise feel?  Like staying onboard in port.  It's awesome.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm not thinking along the "social distancing" aspect. I'm thinking more of being able to get decent seatings at the comedy and production shows. 

They won't have production shows.  The dressing rooms are very tight.  The performers won't be able to social distance and they need to "speak" loud to project their voices and be close/have physical contact with each other.

If they sail, they'll probably substitute one person acts.

You many not care about social distancing...but Carnival will.

The seats were "no room between them".  If they make them 6 feet apart (or even per couple)....how many seats do  you think they could fit into a comedy club?  I think it would be a lot less than half of the current seating.  And nobody will be able to sit "up front" because you'll be too close to the entertainers.

You are thinking in terms of "things how they were"....at half capacity.  Things won't be "as they were".  The capacity per showing will be less than half.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm not thinking along the "social distancing" aspect. I'm thinking more of being able to get decent seatings at the comedy and production shows. 

That would be awesome.  I have no problem with social distancing.  I don't like crowds, so that's a huge plus to me.  No more arriving at a show 30 minutes early or having to search for a good lounge chair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So, instead of one inch between you and the guy in front of you on line....with 50% capacity you now get 2 inches!

It won't do anything "covid-wise" unless there's social distancing and mask enforcement.  One unmasked loud asymptomatic  person can emit millions or billions of virus particles per "excuse me" on the elevator.

Great job with the Fear Mongering.

• Like 13

You seem to confuse reality with fear mongering.

If Carnival conforms to social distancing...the seating arrangements in the MDR, buffet, comedy clubs, theatres, lido etc will change.  People don't seem to realize that....they think it will just be an uncrowded ship...lol

For example, to keep 6 feet between lounge chairs on the lido...2 out of 3 will be eliminated.  So you have 1/3 the chairs....and 1/2 the population.  It's still gonna be hard to find a seat.

And the virus is airborne.  A good sneeze goes a long way.

Enjoy your cruise!

BTW...I'm not anti-cruise.  I'm pro-enjoyable cruise.  What's enjoyable for you, isn't for me.

Adding:  I'm still waiting for someone to come up with "the elevator solution".

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Like I've posted on a few other threads, I'm looking forward to the reviews from such cruises - yours included.

One problem is that in order to get to 50% capacity, they're probably going to have to kick out some people with booked, confirmed reservations.  Here are a few ways they could do it:

• Chronological order - first to book keep their reservations
  • By cabin type - Carnival may not be allowed to sail with any interior or possibly OV cabins in case of a quarantine
  • By price paid for cabin - generally similar to the above, but with a closer eye to the bottom line
  • Volunteers - if you've experienced an airline bump, this could be similar, only it would be done in advance.  Would you take (for example) another $600 in FCC/OBC to forget about this trip?
  • By age - it pains me to say it, but I see scenarios where they could do this.  One thing that's been abundantly clear is that the elderly are MUCH more likely to have bad outcomes IF they catch the disease.  It would make the CDC look bad to see ambulances (or worse, hearses) pull away from any U.S. port, and I'm sure Carnival has seen enough of it on their end too.
  • Like 1

I am of difference opinion totally!!

The United States is being released in steps to protect us against a second surge.

I cannot see Carnival doing any cruises unless it is safe.  I also cannot see them sailing UNLESS the ship is to full capacity.

I think it will be up to the customer to make sure that they feel safe.  

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Like I've posted on a few other threads, I'm looking forward to the reviews from such cruises - yours included.

One problem is that in order to get to 50% capacity, they're probably going to have to kick out some people with booked, confirmed reservations.  Here are a few ways they could do it:

• Chronological order - first to book keep their reservations
  • By cabin type - Carnival may not be allowed to sail with any interior or possibly OV cabins in case of a quarantine
  • By price paid for cabin - generally similar to the above, but with a closer eye to the bottom line
  • Volunteers - if you've experienced an airline bump, this could be similar, only it would be done in advance.  Would you take (for example) another $600 in FCC/OBC to forget about this trip?
  • By age - it pains me to say it, but I see scenarios where they could do this.  One thing that's been abundantly clear is that the elderly are MUCH more likely to have bad outcomes IF they catch the disease.  It would make the CDC look bad to see ambulances (or worse, hearses) pull away from any U.S. port, and I'm sure Carnival has seen enough of it on their end too.

Interesting post!  The "volunteering" concept ala airline bump is something I've done when I didn't have to get from point A to point B that day.  I would hope there would be more notice given to accommodate a change of plans, unlike the airlines who ask at the gate or even on the plane.

Edited by ninjacat123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Reducing capacity of the ship doesn't do much if they don't reduce capacity in the public areas. If they really did it i would expect every other seat in the theater to be empty. Every other seat in the comedy club as well. Every other bar seat. Every other table in the MDR and buffet. So as you cut the people in half you would also cut the seating in half. 

• Like 1

Hi 

Since this is just a guessing game, why would you imagine there would be no long lines.

Did you consider if there were half capacity, there could just as easily be half the crew. After all, if the cruise line is trying to make it safer, they are the one in the most at risk position. Just look at their quarters. 

Now, if that is where you started your thought process, you could consider that there may be fewer venues entirely, with controlled entry. So, they could just as easily hand out beepers, to let you know when you can go in the pool. I could throw out some other ideas, but now that I have mentioned it, I am sure you could think of them yourself.

If I was going on the cruise, I would be hoping that everything was well thought out too , but, you can't always count on it. 

truly hope you have a great cruise 🛳️

• Like 1

I assume the reduced capacity , could only be a short term solution . Passengers  who are adventurous  to sail during this time hopefully will see a great benefit . It would be awesome to have all the Full benefits benefits of a cruise with a 50% reduced passenger list. Perhaps stoping the self serve , reducing the people in shows .. still would be a great value , especially for the savvy people who got large OBC.

If this goes on longer than what is currently scheduled , something would have to change .  carnival of today will be gone. Higher fare would have to be in place , I’m not sure their is enough headroom to reduce expense to get the rev per pax that they need . 
the sailing of August , should they go  with reduced will be both interesting and very telling about the future. 

People afraid of elevators should just start practicing holding their breath or taking the stairs.

Royal also appears headed for an Aug 1 start date.

How about doubling the number of shows if capacity is halved. Or going to all Your Time Dining and spreading people out. No, you may not sit by the window, you sit here or leave.

If they reduce ship capacity they would likely reduce crew capacity.

Crew know about sanitizing the ship and washing hands. I can see mandatory training for passengers on everything from washing hands to cover sneezes and coughs, don't move lounge chairs around, etc.

When (not if) a second and third wave of virus hits, I can see cruising periodically being paused again until the US gets it together and things under control again. Cruising isn't the problem. Cruising may highlight the problem with society.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

When (not if) a second and third wave of virus hits, I can see cruising periodically being paused again until the US gets it together and things under control again. Cruising isn't the problem. Cruising may highlight the problem with society.

I think a lot of things will be paused when the next virus waves hit.  Cruises, being probably one of the last things to open up, I expect to be one of the first to be closed again.  I'm sure that will be lots of fun for the cruise lines when it happens, again and again. 🤪