New Regent Protocols as of 1 June 2020

mrlevin

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree with everything that you posted.  There will be people that agree and others that disagree with our view which is ok.  That is what I meant that there is no right or wrong decision.  If someone does not want to cruise until there is a vaccine - that is fine as well.  We are entitled to our decisions and should not be criticized.  Not everyone perceives “safety” in the same way

As you noted, one can spend all their time in their home and be pretty much guaranteed to not become sick.  For you and I, this is not the way that we want to live or lives.  We have our masks, gloves, eye protection, hand sanitizer, and wipes ready to go!🛳️

And in like fashion, I have to agree with everything you said, Travelcat2.  I'll take whatever reasonable precautions might be available to me, but like many, I'm not about to live out my golden years in a cocoon.  Further, I believe cruise ships in general (and Regent's fleet in particular), are and will continue to be among the most sanitary places out there.

• Like 3

As far as wearing a mask in the lounge or dining rooms, there are restaurants and bars all over the country (if not the world) experimenting with ways to keep guests safe while allowing them to eat and drink in peace.  Some of these solutions can carry over to a cruise ship, such as social distancing.  Others are the use of masks and gloves for the wait staff.  It may not be the most comfortable thing for everyone but safety comes first.  Where cruisers will need to be extra vigilant is one shore excursions.  Not every port will be pristinely clean nor will its residents observe social distancing.  This is where it is incumbent on cruise lines to make decisions about modifying itineraries or shore excursions themselves.  We also all are adults.  We need to look out for ourselves and for others.  If you are not feeling well, stay in your cabin.  JMHO

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, SusieQft said:

Ladys Mom, I am trying very hard to agree with you but I just can't.

I have to apologize that this statement was too broad.  I still strongly disagree with "That suggests that prior to all of the stringent changes that are being proposed by NCL, the chances of getting the virus while on a Regent ship seem small...."  As I said before, Regent is not at all somehow incapable of having a COVID-19 outbreak.  But your subsequent posts suggest that you don't really think so either.  It will take some heavy duty mitigation to keep the Regent ships safe, and there is always a chance of that not being enough.

However, I actually agree with the rest of what you said in that post (#34).  Yes, Regent will try to avoid hot spots.  But the whole world is at least a warm spot, so that will be a challenge.  I also do not want to wait until there is a vaccine before cruising again.  Maybe I would if I did not already have bookings, but since I do that makes it more likely that I will be on a ship as soon as I can, even though there is a small but significant possibility that ship could become compromised by the virus.

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, IndiTravler said:

These new rules should have the side benefit of reducing Norovirus outbreaks too.  

Agree.  Have you noticed how few people had colds this winter and spring?  Taking these precautions should keep us healthier than we have been in years.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

I have to apologize that this statement was too broad.  I still strongly disagree with "That suggests that prior to all of the stringent changes that are being proposed by NCL, the chances of getting the virus while on a Regent ship seem small...."  As I said before, Regent is not at all somehow incapable of having a COVID-19 outbreak.  But your subsequent posts suggest that you don't really think so either.  It will take some heavy duty mitigation to keep the Regent ships safe, and there is always a chance of that not being enough.

However, I actually agree with the rest of what you said in that post (#34).  Yes, Regent will try to avoid hot spots.  But the whole world is at least a warm spot, so that will be a challenge.  I also do not want to wait until there is a vaccine before cruising again.  Maybe I would if I did not already have bookings, but since I do that makes it more likely that I will be on a ship as soon as I can, even though there is a small but significant possibility that ship could become compromised by the virus.

If you feel that there is a "small but significant possibility that ship could become compromised by the virus" I would think that you would not cruise;.  I would never tell anyone to cruise or not to cruise but going on a luxury cruise if you are concerned, it could ruin the experience for you.  I believe that you already understand that, for the foreseeable future, the "Regent Experience" will not be what it usually is.

My DH and I did our due diligence - studied the situation as it exists today and will keep doing this.  In the meantime, I am paying no attention to negative prognosis' or scare tactics (to be clear, I am not accusing you of this).  Posters have the right to be concerned, not want to cruise until there is a vaccine or are gung ho on cruising.  Again, this is a personal decision and each of us will do what is right for us.  

One thing that we have experienced that you have not is what Regent has done when there have been gastrointestinal outbreaks onboard.  This happened on Mariner on three out of four cruises (we were on the first one that went Code Red mid-cruise).  Finally, when the ship was going to the Amazon, Captain Serina announced that there would be no handshaking between guests and crew.  This encouraged passengers to do the same.  We did fist bumps and turned it into a little dance.  It was fun.  Disinfecting was not as stringent as.Regent has described going forward but we all paid attention and the ship was being sanitized 24/7.  So, after three cruises with a virus, and knowing that there are more outbreaks when sailing the waters of Brazil, we went 25+ days without a single case.  More importantly, when a new captain came onboard, handshaking resumed and so did the virus and Mariner, once again, was Code Red.  I explain this because one does need to sail on Regent to understand just how serious they take communicable illnesses.  It is not a coincidence that Regent did not have Covid-19. on their ships - it is due to their continued diligence. This gives some of us a level of confidence that others may not have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just our opinion.... if Regent sails, we will be with them.

Our next scheduled is November 28, 2020. Miami to Miami.
We are sure that Regent will take every precaution possible to protect us, and follow CDC regulations. We are elderly seniors with health issues. 
The world is a dangerous place.. we take risks every day if we just get out of bed. 
We will not second guess the rules. At this time, Masks are to be used at all times, if social distancing is not possible.Thats fine with us. 
In the Regent dining rooms, masks will probably not be needed after you are seated, as in restaurants today with 50% capacity. Proper social distancing is then achieved due to wide separation of tables. 

Seating on the pool deck will be set up to accommodate the distancing. 
Excursions are still questionable. We will wait to see the recommendations. But, we are lucky that we have visited most of our bucket list. 
For us, it’s about the cruise. It’s all worth it to get away and enjoy all the the luxury of a Regent Cruise.
Today, we wear masks wherever we go. It’s become  the new norm.
We look forward to the day this is completely over. But, until then, we follow rules for everyone’s safety. 
We want to enjoy every day of the limited years we have left
sheila and Herb

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If you feel that there is a "small but significant possibility that ship could become compromised by the virus" I would think that you would not cruise;.  I would never tell anyone to cruise or not to cruise but going on a luxury cruise if you are concerned, it could ruin the experience for you.  

Again, this is a personal decision and each of us will do what is right for us.  

I cannot believe that any rational person would think that there would be anyplace on earth (or sea) where you interact with others that there is ZERO chance of getting COVID-19, including a Regent ship.  

Personally, I am more concerned about getting stuck or quarantined than about getting the virus.  We all take the latter risk every day even at home.  My DH and I are both 67, with some mild/borderline pre-existing conditions, so we are probably at a small increased risk, but not as much as many luxury cruisers.  Since our upcoming Regent trip is a round trip out of LA, we don't have to fly there and we won't be going terribly far or long away from home.

Although I have not experienced Regent yet, I have sailed numerous times on Crystal.  They also take sanitation procedures very seriously.  Of course sometimes people do still get sick on board.  I'm sure that happens on Regent as well, as you just admitted.  No one on a Crystal ship got Covid-19 either, but I would never say that it would be impossible for it to happen, regardless of how much they step up their procedures.  I would expect that Regent and Crystal would be quite comparable in their ability to deal with this, and both would have a small but non-zero chance of having a problem with the virus.  That includes after a vaccine is available, although then the chance should be even smaller.  We could also be killed in an auto accident driving to LA to board the ship.

Crystal has had no handshaking with at least the Captain, and I think mostly the other officers as well, for the 5 years since I started sailing with them and I don't know how long before that.  A reception line with a lot of handshaking is pretty much a guarantee that whatever diseases are present will soon be widespread.  I certainly hope your story about the Regent cruises where they were still doing handshaking were many years ago, or it makes me wonder if Regent is really as super-clean as you say.

Every person needs to weigh the risks and benefits and make their own decision, and that is what my DH and I will do.  I am also willing to make a choice now about whether to sail and find out later if it was the right or wrong choice.  😉 

• Like 6

SusieQft, I agree---everyone has to make the choice for themself.  People are making that choice now as things open up.  For us we're not ready to go out to dinner, but we are back to doctor appointments, seeing friends that we know try an be safe.  aYes we go shopping, but buy somethings online.  We did cancel (or Regent cancelled) 2 cruises, however wow kept one cruise that we plan to take early next year (March) Unless we something happens that makes us rethink........

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I cannot believe that any rational person would think that there would be anyplace on earth (or sea) where you interact with others that there is ZERO chance of getting COVID-19, including a Regent ship. 

Not sure who posted that there is a “ZERO” chance of getting COVID-19.  If someone did, I would not consider the person irrational as there are such places on earth.  While I do not feel that there is “zero” possibility of getting Covid-19 on the ship, I do feel that it is safer than being anywhere (grocery stores, etc.) where there are people not wearing masks - even if they are 6’ away.

BTW, I really think that distancing will be an issue for Crystal (at least on the Symphony) but that is a conversation for another board.

• Haha 1

In chatting with a neighbor who historically took several cruises a year, he pointed out that he wants to confirm how quarantine and medical care costs for guests would be assessed going forward.  He said in the T&Cs it usually clearly says such costs are borne by the guest, and he thinks in the future guests will both have to clearly acknowledge the risks of COVID before boarding and agree that any medical/quarantine costs will be paid by the guest. The cruise lines may have taken care of these costs in the first flare-up, but it doesn't seem likely they'd want to use that as precedence to me, now that we know, at least partially, what the risks are, especially to certain demographics.

He's also guessing that insurance carriers will not be lining up to provide COVID-related coverages, or that premiums will be very high for any such coverage.   That sounded realistic to me, and in line with the CDC's apparent insistence that cruise ships cannot rely on land-based or tax-payer based facilities to provide care 'for free', so to speak.   

So question here - how do people feel about signing COVID waivers, and how would insurance coverage, or lack thereof, affect a decision to travel for non-essential reasons?  All this is worst case, of course.

Greykitty.  The clause which is clause 12 in the ticket contract also has me very worried. I haven't yet found an insurer that covers that in the UK.  I must admit that I hadn't given it a thought before the virus.   For cruising to begin again the travel insurance sector is going to need to be very transparent as to what they will and will not cover.

My cruise in November is fully covered for cancellations or medical expenses including repatriation due to covid as it was booked before the crisis on my annual policy.  If I take a fcc then according to them all bets are off and any new covid clauses will apply at the time of the new booking.

I've got a couple of months before final payment to make a decision on whether to cancel and claim my 20% deposit back from the insurer or whether to pay and decide later on whether to cruise

A dilemma but I'll worry about it nearer the time 

• Like 1

Thanks, @cerise638, for your thoughts.  My neighbor is still waiting for refunds on his future cruises (on two separate lines), but is reluctant to book much until at least a few 'successful' voyages on several different lines have occurred.  While he was always careful to carry substantial medical evacuation insurance, as well as knowing exactly the limits of other medical coverage, he also never really worried about quarantine-related costs.  

He and his wife said that at their ages (upper 70's) they'd rather have the cash in hand and either spend in our immediate area (just outside a major US metro area) or on land holidays until more is known.  They did say they dearly miss sea days, though.

Edited by greykitty

11 hours ago, SusieQft said:

You are correct. And, add driving, crossing the street, breathing, eating etc. Nothing is completely safe. Life is a risk. 
For those who choose to wait to shop, dine out, or cruise... it is your choice. Stand by your decisions.
Each of us has our own opinions. 

I won’t question yours, please don’t question mine.

sheila

• Like 1

Something I  ponder. Even with all these new proposed rules, what happens when the ship is 3-4 days into the voyage and someone turns up infected.

• Is everyone going to be put in "lock-down?'"
  •  
  • Is the next port going to allow docking, let alone shorex?

Given what happened with the Princess Ship in Japan and others, what is going to be the public (or your) perception of cruising the next time a ship turn up infected?

J

33 minutes ago, JMARINER said:

Something I  ponder. Even with all these new proposed rules, what happens when the ship is 3-4 days into the voyage and someone turns up infected.

• Is everyone going to be put in "lock-down?'"
  •  
  • Is the next port going to allow docking, let alone shorex?

Given what happened with the Princess Ship in Japan and others, what is going to be the public (or your) perception of cruising the next time a ship turn up infected?

J

All excellent questions.   Time will tell.

For my taste regarding a vacation, the necessary limitations sound very unappealing . I strongly support masks and distancing rules. But I just can't envision  enjoying spending 24 hrs a day on a ship with distancing and masks rules that will be necessary if the rules are followed. 

I enjoy meeting and talking with guests, strolling around the ship, visiting various venues on a whim.  With masks it is difficult to read other people's friendliness, or sometimes understand what they are saying.  I like sitting at the open bars talking to the bartender or other guests sometimes.  Not sure that will work with masks and distancing.  I don't know how the theater will work nor how distancing can be maintained with audiences entering and exiting.  I don't understand distancing in the hallways and stairs, or especially the elevators. I like serving myself from buffets, salad bars, coffee connection, hors d'oeuvre trays, etc.  That will not be possible.  Receptions with masks and distancing?  Probably not.

Then apart from all the Regent rules, there are guests who may be unpredictable.  My experience has been that some people feel that distancing and mask rules are silly, unwarranted, or some kind of government overkill.  People can find subtle ways to subvert rules that they don't agree with--let your mask ride down below your nose, walk less than 6 feet away in corridors with or without a mask, etc.  And what about masks and distancing on suite balconies?  And yes, someone might stick their head out right beside one of those balcony dividers just as you are looking out at the ocean from the railing.  I can see a rationale for not wearing masks on balconies but I can see problems whatever the rule turns out to be.  Then there are things like trying to get some exercise walking around one of the decks while others are doing the same.  On walking paths that I go on in my neighborhood, I would say that 5-10% of the people can't manage to observe distancing rules that are widely disseminated.    

I'm sure most Regent guests will follow the rules, but it only takes a few people who knowingly or unknowingly deviate from the rules to create a stir. And yes Regent staff may attempt to enforce rules much more strictly than they do the dress codes, but I still see some potential for conflicts among passengers and between staff and passengers.

And potential problems on tours and in ports are predictable.  With excursions and free time in ports Regent can't ensure that guests are not exposed to Covid-19. There are a lot of factors for which guests have no control.  So until I have a better idea of how things will operate on a practical level I am holding off on booking another cruise.

• Like 3

Does anyone really believe that Regent is negotiating on their own with the CDC and Coast Guard  as required by the No Sail Order??   Cannot imagine the CDC negotiating with every cruise company with each company coming up with their own protocols??

In fact in Post 12 of this thread Wes posted the obvious and that is that CLIA will be negotiating the return to sail protocols and requirements for all cruise lines including Regent.and all cruise line calling on the US  and most probably world wide will follow these protocols as can you imagine the confusion of a ship having different protocols for different countries and trying to comply with all of them??

If you remember right at the start when cruises were still sailing and the cruise line met with the CDC and White House and agreements were reached on initial protocols including the now gone Doctor's letter for all over I think 70.  What was posted on this thread is most likely a portion of what is expected to be included but, for sure there are lots of missing items here such as the requirement to sent passengers home without help from the Government and many more items most likely now in negotiations between CLIA and CDC.  

Sure Regent and other cruise lines plus experts have input into the CLIA's negotiating position however what is posted here is only the start and the final agreement as Wes stated as told by his TA will be approved by  CLIA for all cruise lines and the CDC/Coast Guard.

CruisetheC's and rallydave - ( CruisetheC's) there is nothing wrong with you holding off before booking another cruise. You are correct that there will not be a buffet in La Veranda, Sette Mari, the Pool Grill or Coffee Connection.  This does not mean that the same items will not be available to be served to you. There is also nothing wrong with those of us what want to sail this year.  

Statements that the CDC and other organizations are coming out with may be a tiny bit more accurate than 3 months ago but I still question everything that I read.  No TA, poster or cruise line knows what path this virus will take.  It went from the belief that this mainly affects seniors to having it affect children. In our county, the 20-30 age group have the most cases of the virus.  It is likely different for other counties/states.  

All cruise lines are working with guidelines set forth by the CDC.  Regent went one step further and hired a doctor that is an expert in this field.  Hopefully he can give Regent an additional insight into how to not only meet CDC requirements but how to exceed them.  Frank Del Rio made it very clear that what the CDC requires is paramount in terms of when cruise ships will resume sailing.  Supposedly (and this comes back to I don't believe anything I read at the moment), the CDC will come out with ratings for cruise lines (those that have had no cases of the virus, those that have 1, etc.). Tomorrow is Friday and I have yet to see this.  

The only thing that we, a passengers can do, it sit back and wait.  Reading everything that is written about the future of cruising only serves to make us excited on moment and sad the next.  

While we do not expect to be amongst the first cruises sailing in 2020, I do look forward to "live" threads from whatever Regent cruise ship ventures out first as well as the rest of the cruises for 2020.  

• Like 1

Reference recent comment from JMariner:  "What happens if . . . --

Lest one forget HAL's Zaandam mid-March to early April saga.  On another Thread, I commented on an ongoing basis during this three-week situation as my brother and his wife were passengers--and kept us updated. 

Fortunately, they had a suite with balcony and some "breathing room".  Everyone restricted 24/7 to cabins.  All meals served in cabins.   Complete lock-down until, finally, Florida authorities allowed disembarking at Port Everglades.  Sporadic testing aboard ship--when adequate testing supplies arrived.  They praised HAL staff for doing the best it could, given the situation--and denial of any Port from Chile (off the extreme southern coast of said-country they were when the -it hit the -han--onward to allow anyone to disembark.  Not-such kind comments as to Florida authorities who delayed offloading.  But, that is another matter. 

That history (they live only five miles from us) has informed our outlook on future Regent cruises.  BTW:  two such have been canceled on us so-far this calendar year.  It was our good fortune, in retrospect, to be at San Diego on March 13th when the word arrived that our 50th wedding anniversary cruise aboard Splendor scheduled for departure the next day had been canceled.  Disappointed, of course.  But, only a quick airplane ride back to SEATAC on the 14th.  Just in time for "stay at home" protocols to be enacted by civil authorities.    

It was at that point that my brother and his wife were only beginning their odyssey.

Now, perhaps with implementation of new world-wide protocols, such a drastic response to an onboard "event" will not be necessary due to containment into a predetermined quarantine area.  And, the individual(s) involved offloaded for repatriation.   

As for now--No vaccine; no cruising.  Hopefully, a viable one will be available before our Explorer April-May 2021 Tokyo-Vancouver, B.C. sailing.  

GOARMY!

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Supposedly (and this comes back to I don't believe anything I read at the moment), the CDC will come out with ratings for cruise lines (those that have had no cases of the virus, those that have 1, etc.). Tomorrow is Friday and I have yet to see this.

This is in regard to repatriation of the thousands of crew members still stuck on ships.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243180861.html

8 minutes ago, greykitty said:

This is in regard to repatriation of the thousands of crew members still stuck on ships.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article243180861.html

That is the article that I was referring to.  Hopefully (fingers crossed) all crew members will be able to go home very soon.

14 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

While we do not expect to be amongst the first cruises sailing in 2020, I do look forward to "live" threads from whatever Regent cruise ship ventures out first as well as the rest of the cruises for 2020.  

Have you cancelled your November booking?  If it sails, it should be "amongst the first."