If I book a Canadian cruise today...

Seany527

Don't know.  But do consider that when you rebook a year or so from now, the cruise price can likely be 25% or more than what the current prices. So you are lending no interest money.   If you have confidence in the future of NCL, then buying their stock right might give you a better return.........or not.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

Why are you trying to scam a cruise line thats already in financial difficulty.

Unbelievable.

I don't see how that is doing anything other than trying to be a savvy consumer looking to get a good deal. 

A scam is jacking up cruise prices and selling cruises that have zero chance of sailing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

NCL hasn't cancelled them yet?

not yet. i am still booked on my Encore 9 day canada cruise for September. You can still book it and it still in my profile

1 hour ago, FranknBeans said:

Unbelievable.

If NCL is still willing to take your money for a cruise that they know is not going to happen, who is scamming whom?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Seany527 said:

If I book a Canadian cruise for this summer and pay in full, do you think I would qualify for the 125% FCC when the cruise is canceled?

Yes,   it qualifies-    IF that is the offer with the NCL cancellation.   

2 hours ago, FranknBeans said:

Unbelievable.

If NCL is still selling these cruises, which apparently is the case, it’s not a scam for someone to book one. In fact, given that NCL has to realize that these cruises will not be happening, NCL would probably love for folks to give them cash now for a piece of paper to be used at some time in the future, restricted to paying for a cruise on NCL, where the price is controlled by NCL.   

No one knows if those cruises will be cancelled.  It is completely within the existing cruise contract that folks agree to when they book that NCL can change ports and itineraries as they choose.

These cruises may wind up not being cancelled, but cruising to the Bahamas (or another port(s) that may be open at that time.)

23 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

No one knows if those cruises will be cancelled.  It is completely within the existing cruise contract that folks agree to when they book that NCL can change ports and itineraries as they choose.

These cruises may wind up not being cancelled, but cruising to the Bahamas (or another port(s) that may be open at that time.)

Are you saying turning a Canadian fall foliage cruise into a Caribbean cruise? I think that might stretch credibility to the point of leaving them open to bait and switch charges.

4 minutes ago, Snowrose said:

Are you saying turning a Canadian fall foliage cruise into a Caribbean cruise? I think that might stretch credibility to the point of leaving them open to bait and switch charges.

Absolutely.  Do a quick poll on CC of how many people have had their Bermuda cruise turned into a Canada/New England cruise due to bad weather.  And didn't find out until they were boarding the ship - with clothes for the wrong season!  It has happened multiple times.

Here's just one example from 2018 from the NCL Dawn:

https://nationalpost.com/news/cruise-passengers-who-were-supposed-to-go-to-bermuda-arrive-in-atlantic-canada

Edited by pcakes122

6 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Absolutely.  Do a quick poll on CC of how many people have had their Bermuda cruise turned into a Canada/New England cruise due to bad weather.  And didn't find out until they were boarding the ship - with clothes for the wrong season!  It has happened multiple times.

https://nationalpost.com/news/cruise-passengers-who-were-supposed-to-go-to-bermuda-arrive-in-atlantic-canada

Point taken. You've given me something to think about.

3 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

There’s a big difference between changing ports/itineraries due to unpredictable bad weather and purposely planning on doing something completely different than what was advertised.  To be fair, if anybody thinks they’re going to Canada this year simply because that’s what the cruise was advertised/marketed as then they need to have their heads shaken a bit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

There’s a big difference between changing ports/itineraries due to unpredictable bad weather and purposely planning on doing something completely different than what was advertised.  To be fair, if anybody thinks they’re going to Canada this year simply because that’s what the cruise was advertised/marketed as then they need to have their heads shaken a bit.

Another good point. There is a difference with a last minute change due to weather and one made three months in advance and not informing the passenger.

21 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I'm sorry, but from a business ethics perspective NCL's practice in this regard leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Canadian cruises from the US don't leave from ports like Miami or Tampa, where it's conceivable that cruising could resume in the relatively near future. The majority of NCL's Canadian cruises leave from NY,  some from Boston, and there's virtually zero chance of any cruise departures in the next few months from those ports.  So you don't have a simple itinerary change where only the ports of call vary from the original, you would have am embarkation and disembarkation port change, which is a whole different ball game.

What makes NCL's behavior in this regard even more distasteful, not to mention puzzling,  is that their sister cruise line Oceania stopped taking reservations on their comparable US-based itineraries as soon as Canada officially declared there would be no large cruise ships allowed for the remainder of the 2020 season. Why would one member of the corporate family take the correct approach and another not? My guess is because Oceania's contribution to NCLH's revenue is only a fraction of NCL's so shutting off Oceania's bookings would not be as financially painful as shutting off NCL's.

• Like 2

Just now, d9704011 said:

I am speaking from experience during the pandemic.  This just happened to me on a Royal Caribbean cruise scheduled for June on Oasis of the Seas.  Original destination was Canada/New England and once Canada closed its ports I received an email from Royal advising me the cruise was going to the Bahamas.  I had the choice to completely cancel with no penalty or cruise to the new destination (with an incentive of some onboard credit.)  Note:  Ultimately the cruise WAS completely cancelled because Royal did not operate any sailings in June.

So, my advice still stands.  I would not book anything now to Canada and be confident the cruise would be completely cancelled by the cruise line.

14 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

It's not even remotely comparable to what NCL is doing here. Last minute itinerary changes do to an act of God are not the same as accepting bookings for cruises taking place months from now knowing that there's virtually zero chance of those cruises actually taking place.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It's not even remotely comparable to what NCL is doing here. Last minute itinerary changes do to an act of God are not the same as accepting bookings for cruises taking place months from now knowing that there's virtually zero chance of those cruises actually taking place.

Here's my email from Royal Caribbean regarding my 6/21/20 Oasis of the Seas cruise to Canada/New England.  (I got this email on March 30th.)

Capture.PNG

Edited by pcakes122

4 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I am speaking from experience during the pandemic.  This just happened to me on a Royal Caribbean cruise scheduled for June on Oasis of the Seas.  Original destination was Canada/New England and once Canada closed its ports I received an email from Royal advising me the cruise was going to the Bahamas.  I had the choice to completely cancel with no penalty or cruise to the new destination (with an incentive of some onboard credit.)  Note:  Ultimately the cruise WAS completely cancelled because Royal did not operate any sailings in June.

So, my advice still stands.  I would not book anything now to Canada and be confident the cruise would be completely cancelled by the cruise line.

Canadian ports were closed to cruise ships following a March 13 announcement.  Your June cruise wasn’t destined to make it to Canada (unless the date of arrival was July 1 or afterwards).  So, when were you advised of the itinerary change and given an option to bow out?.  Your personal example is much different than the change(s) made due to bad weather you wrote about earlier.

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Canadian ports were closed to cruise ships following a March 13 announcement.  Your June cruise wasn’t destined to make it to Canada (unless the date of arrival was July 1 or afterwards).  So, when were you advised of the itinerary change and given an option to bow out?.  Your personal example is much different than the change(s) made due to bad weather you wrote about earlier.

Yes, I was given the opportunity to bow out - but the cruise ultimately never sailed because Royal didn't sail anywhere in June.  However, if they were operating, that cruise would have went to the Bahamas and NOT been cancelled.  (Which was my original point  - you can't count on the cruise being cancelled, it might just have a port change - and a significant one like my cruise had.)

12 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Here's my email from Royal Caribbean regarding my 6/21/20 Oasis of the Seas cruise to Canada/New England.  (I got this email on March 30th.)

Capture.PNG

Sorry...still not the same thing . This wasn't a new booking you just made for something taking place months down the road...it was an existing reservation you had made earlier...and there isn't a change in embarkation/disembarkation port.

Edited by njhorseman