Am I (we) going to be sorry I did not book cruises,trips and flights at these prices.

dolittle

10 minutes ago, RonOhio said:

The biggest problem for cruise lines is that no government is likely to bail them out. The biggest cruise company, Carnival Corporation is British-American organization that's incorporated in Panama. Number Two, Royal Caribbean, is incorporated in Liberia and Norwegian is incorporated in Bermuda ("Why don't they ask the Norwegian government for a bail out?") As far as I know, not a not a single one has a US flagged ship, a US built ship or a crew that's predominately US citizens. 

Not exactly an industry group that makes Congresswoman Jones worry about getting re-elected it she doesn't vote for a few billion to prop them up. 

Well, NCL has one US flagged ship - for their local Hawaii cruises.   

Bailing out the current owners (stockholders) is unnecessary - and no responsible government where any of those lines are incorporated would consider it - because they would not be saving jobs for their tax payers.  I don’t think anyone seriously considers it a possibility.  If cruising remains a viable business, someone will buy the ships if the present owner/operators go under.  The US auto bail out ten or so years ago involved US taxpayer funds going to keep US jobs going.  So there was a rationale - and ask the former GM owners (stockholders) if they think they got “bailed out” — they wound up with nothing .

On 6/5/2020 at 4:15 PM, dolittle said:

I think so I have been on a few travel sights looking for something for this summer and there are some great deals. but this whole thing just makes it hard to pull the trigger on something.You can feel that this starting to go away and most people have short memories .Then I will be kicking myself for not booking . Any on else feeling like this or have you taken a good deal.

No.. don't worry it'll come crashing down soon, cases are rising

new cases.JPG

I get the temptation but IMO with so much disruption to the whole tourist infrastructure I want to see what is left standing before handing over money. There are plenty of stories of the difficulties of refunds and the devaluation of future credits so personally I would rather keep my money for something I know I will use rather than hope I will utilise. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

13 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

How would you determine if you can "cruise safely in Nov."?

Well, if you admit there won't be a vaccine by then, then no you can't. MAYBE November 2021. Or 2022?

We already had two cruises booked hopefully can sail on both msc seaside in November and celebrity infinity in February. We normally book while on board.

The onboard future Cruise director can never match the discounted online price which I show them on my mobile phone.

it's always much more expensive to book a future Cruise on board, even after considering onboard credit.

This is probably because the future Cruise director and his staff have to be paid a high salary, high commission on sales, get free boarding and lodging and a free Cruise also.

No.. don't worry it'll come crashing down soon, cases are rising

505901132_newcases.thumb.JPG.66d85fe688983b2b0d8427212d32b1ee.JPG&key=ea81916eb091f4d2d1cdd3c62f330240239ad559699bdab8bc52871513bb35b6

Do you think Cruise prices will come crashing down soon? Even on the low cost mass market lines like Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Princess?

I see zero difference as it relates to the dangers of covid from where we were in March/April, where we are today, and where we expect to be in the fall/winter.   The number of cases are going up.  There is no vaccine.  There is no drug to eliminate the symptons of the virus.   No change.   Well, perhaps one change.  In our area, post a partial opening up, the greatest increase in cases is in the 20-29 age group.

If it was not safe to cruise in the March/April timeframe why will it be safe to cruise i the Nov/Dec timeframe?

• Like 2

They live in the Maple Leaf area and our place is in Lake City. To the north but still in the city limits.

Her prognosis is perhaps better. They decided against fusing her spine and are hoping that facial surgery won't be necessary. But 12 weeks in a huge collar.
OMG what happened ? What sort of accident did she suffer?

On 6/5/2020 at 7:15 PM, dolittle said:

.You can feel that this starting to go away and most people have short memories .

I don't know that I feel this is going away, but I agree people have short memories.  That's the problem - they forget why they were doing the social distancing and mask-wearing, and therefore the risk is great that it won't go away, and might even get worse.  I'm afraid they will end up wasting the months of sacrifices they made.

That being said, I just put down a very small deposit on an October cruise that is being offered at a great price.  Although I don't think I'll be willing to fly and the cruise will likely be cancelled, the $200 refundable deposit was too tempting. 

2 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I don't know that I feel this is going away, but I agree people have short memories.  That's the problem - they forget why they were doing the social distancing and mask-wearing, and therefore the risk is great that it won't go away, and might even get worse.  I'm afraid they will end up wasting the months of sacrifices they made.

That being said, I just put down a very small deposit on an October cruise that is being offered at a great price.  Although I don't think I'll be willing to fly and the cruise will likely be cancelled, the $200 refundable deposit was too tempting. 

Virus don't care about memory, borders, ethnicity, class/money or your deposits.  This is a leading indicator of what will manifest itself in hospitalization and sadly deaths.

new cases.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Virus don't care about memory, borders, ethnicity, class/money or your deposits. 

While the virus doesn't care, the spread of the virus does care about people's memories and whether or not they remember what the virus is and does.   With public cooperation, the spread of the virus, and hence its effects, can be lessened.  If people forget why they should cooperate, it gets worse instead of better. 

That's sociology and public health......what does that have to do with my deposit?

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 7:37 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I hope she is doing well

- and that she is not too close to the “Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone” — hopefully the only non-US tract of land in what used to be called the “Continental United States”.

My sister lives in NE Seattle,  and has been keeping me advised of the growing anarchist attitude since the 1999 protests.

Just like Texas keeps threatening to secede from the Union and the Confederate states did that to maintain slavery when they attacked the US in 1861 at Fort Sumter.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, calliopecruiser said:

While the virus doesn't care, the spread of the virus does care about people's memories and whether or not they remember what the virus is and does.   With public cooperation, the spread of the virus, and hence its effects, can be lessened.  If people forget why they should cooperate, it gets worse instead of better. 

That's sociology and public health......what does that have to do with my deposit?

The bottom line is that cruise lines own this game, they set the rules and execute the policies.  They can offer enticing options knowing they will be unable to deliver: ports will be closed, ships unavailable, security/health procedures ineffective, and added costs to pay fro the months not operating and "new normal" on board practices.  Right now its a game to see how much of your money they can accumulate to help fund their non-operations.

• Like 2

Just now, Ride-The-Waves said:

Right now its a game to see how much of your money they can accumulate to help fund their non-operations.

Well, I have had 2 cruises booked in the future for a while now, so they already have have some of my money.  My only gamble is whether or not they go bankrupt -- if it's just a case of "non-operations", I can always get credit for that amount for a future cruise.

Of course "they set the rules and execute the policies"!  Didn't you know that?  Doesn't everyone know that?  That's what all companies do, and always have.  We all know that when we sign on.  You make it sound like some huckster trick, when in reality it's just doing business like every other consumer-directed company.   If you buy gas, a streaming video service, or a washing machine -- all those companies set the rules and execute the policies.  So what?

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, ColeThornton said:

There is always going to be deals.   Let the obsessed cruisers go on and lick the doorknobs and slide down the banisters.  Once the lab experiment is over then people can start booking good deals as they surface when the all clear alarm is sounded.

we're going to have to rethink this post , especially with the new info from the past few day's.

And for those folks who are buying up those airline and cruise 'deals'....don't forget to load up in those tax free, fifty percent off duty free shops or in those jewelry stores where you can buy tax free bobbles at 30 percent of the 'appraisal' price.  Bargains that are too good to pass up.

Edited by iancal
  • Haha 1

Arnold Donald's webinar last week. People stated they were looking for deals from cruise line sin the future, his response was along the lines of , that's not going to happen so, don't be looking for any deals on cruises in the future. 

Of course he said there would be no deals.

But...I suspect that 30-60 days prior to sailing with a ship at 50 or 60 percent occupancy, that message may change ever so slightly.  As it has in the past.  Or even 80 percent occupancy 21 days from sailing.  This has been a sweet spot for years in the industry and I cannot see it changing.

Edited by iancal

43 minutes ago, c-boy said:

People stated they were looking for deals from cruise line sin the future, his response was along the lines of , that's not going to happen so, don't be looking for any deals on cruises in the future. 

Of course it will happen in the future, just like it's happened in the past........but he probably meant "future" as in the next 6-12 months.   The negative effects of this pandemic will go away, but not as fast as most people want (and some people expect).   The negative effects of every global disaster have gone away, eventually.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Arnold Donald's webinar last week. People stated they were looking for deals from cruise line sin the future, his response was along the lines of , that's not going to happen so, don't be looking for any deals on cruises in the future. 

Disagree with Arnold.    Once people have used up their FCC's from the previously cancelled cruises the lines will absolutely have to present good deals to get cruisers back on the ships.  A lot of people have rebooked because they had no choice, some of their own volition.

I just did a quick glance through the NCL web site and there is zero chance of me spending the kind of money they are advertising cruises for even if it was a normal situation.

7 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

A lot of people have rebooked because they had no choice, some of their own volition.

Is that really true though?  Didn't virtually all lines provide the opportunity for a 100% refund when cancellations occurred?  I'm not aware of any line that offered no choice; but many pax "chose" to take the higher value Future Cruise Credit.

Perhaps I'm wrong -- if so, enlighten me.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is that really true though?  Didn't virtually all lines provide the opportunity for a 100% refund when cancellations occurred?  I'm not aware of any line that offered no choice; but many pax "chose" to take the higher value Future Cruise Credit.

Perhaps I'm wrong -- if so, enlighten me.

You aren't wrong, I just wasn't as clear as I could have been.   Many posts I have read (NCL) the affected passengers felt like they had no choice but to take the FCC's when initially the whole cruising/cancelling fiasco was clear as mud.  Regardless, my point still stands, once the FCC crowds are gone the lines will have no choice but to have sailing specials to get cruisers to come back and of course, appeal to new cruisers.  (Good luck with that).