When will things start back up?

KS&JW

42 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Interesting, but nothing's been done but laboratory research so far. It hasn't been tested on humans...actually not even on animals as far as I can tell. Here's the important quote from early in the article (I've added the red highlight):

'The research team is in active discussions with commercial partners to ramp up manufacturing and clinical testing of AeroNabs. If these tests are successful, the scientists aim to make AeroNabs widely available as an inexpensive, over-the-counter medication to prevent and treat COVID-19."

For argument's sake, let's assume that this will be successful.

How many of you have noticed the young Indian(?) physician who is the co inventor.

The current administration is doing its very best to stop these talented foreign students from coming to US. Just think how much harm would we be doing to ourselves and the world if we instituted this type of a ban because this young man is definitely not the only talented foreign student who has made significant contributions because he was given the opportunity he/she may not have had in their home land. With these restrictions, who would lose more - the barred individual or the society as a whole?

Off my soap box now.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I see no chance on cruises starting up in Europe even next year unless a vaccine is found , all countries in Europe are now fighting off a second wave of Corona 19 .

Germany have closed the border with Spain and the U.K have made a 2 week Quarantine compulsory from most of Europe and a 2nd lock down is possible ,this is bad news for anything restarting .

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/08/15/71059/tui-repatriating-german-tourists-from-majorca.html

On 7/25/2020 at 7:16 AM, pinotlover said:

It currently appears that the current two hopeful vaccines will not be recommended for seniors. AstraZ has even dropped seniors from their trials, only doing 12-55 year olds now.

Actually the latest news from CDC is to prioritize front line health workers, essential service workers (bus drivers, grocery clerks, etc) and seniors at high risk in the first group to receive the vaccine when available.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Actually the latest news from CDC is to prioritize front line health workers, essential service workers (bus drivers, grocery clerks, etc) and seniors at high risk in the first group to receive the vaccine when available.

My money's still on UCSF's Aeronabs for seniors (see post # 299 above).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

My money's still on UCSF's Aeronabs for seniors (see post # 299 above).

Sounds good to me. Depends on availability, cost and effectiveness of vaccine vs Aeronabs. One disadvantage of nabs is that it is something you'd have to do daily vs a vaccine (if effective) only once or twice with maybe a booster.

Time will tell.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, njhorseman said:

In 1954 I was one of the 1.3 million US school children who became known as "Polio Pioneers"...the participants in the testing of the Salk polio vaccine. 

Obviously it wasn't my choice to participate...my parents made that decision, but having survived that early in my life I don't think I would roll the dice near the opposite end of my life to test another vaccine. 

But...my thanks to those of you brave enough to volunteer .

I volunteered. (don't remember which site) but doubt they will take me because of age, 75 and too many meds. However, I thought I should. 

On 8/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, roger b said:

This a figurative  Border and means that no one can fly   !!!!!

This is not true! Where did you get that information? Germany has issued a travel alert in relation to Spain with exception of the Canary Islands. But people can still fly there.

39 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

This is not true! Where did you get that information? Germany has issued a travel alert in relation to Spain with exception of the Canary Islands. But people can still fly there.

Can you fly from Spain to Germany as well?

4 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Yes you can. You have to do a COVID test at the airport and self isolate for two weeks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-germany-issues-fresh-warning-over-travel-to-spain/a-54562496

Thank you.

Who enforces the self isolation? Is it like in NZ & Australia where they put you in a hotel and you can't leave or is it self imposed?

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Thank you.

Who enforces the self isolation? Is it like in NZ & Australia where they put you in a hotel and you can't leave or is it self imposed?

You are most welcome. I am not sure. Actually I think no one enforces it but there was the discussion of heavy fines if people do not do it. 
Ivi

11 hours ago, travelberlin said:

You are most welcome. I am not sure. Actually I think no one enforces it but there was the discussion of heavy fines if people do not do it. 
Ivi

Just to let you know you are checked at the airport and they do check up on you also at the time it was the case that flights stopped between Germany and Majorca and they repatriated all their citizens as seen below.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/08/15/71059/tui-repatriating-german-tourists-from-majorca.html

15 minutes ago, roger b said:

Just to let you know you are checked at the airport and they do check up on you also at the time it was the case that flights stopped between Germany and Majorca and they repatriated all their citizens as seen below.

Thanks,  those were all inclusive tourists booked with TUI. Repatriation of their clients was part of their offer in case of need.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks,  those were all inclusive tourists From TUI,  who were surprised by the German travel warning while on vacation in Mallorca.

Ivi

Yes Thanks for the reply just to let you know on that day all the German citizens that we know were in a panic  to get home and flights were being cancelled , thing have changed a bit since ,but where I live all the Germans have gone home 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, Paulchili said:

Thank you.

In Hawaii, it’s the residents who are using social media to “out” the scofflaw tourists and turn them into the authorities. Several have gone to jail and then been sent home.

Locals there have always had a love/hate relationship with tourists...

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It’s a numbers game! All those living in tents, panhandling, love the tourists! 😂

The tourists sure don't love them and that is why they are staying away in droves. Not the place for a vacation these days.  May never be again.

• Like 1

We were  notified by Oceania today, via our TA, that our April 26th Departure on Insignia from Dubai to Istanbul has been canceled.  The letter from Oceania said all Insignia departures up through April 26th, 2021 have been canceled.  Our cruise was a segment of the 2021 ATW cruise.

5 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Insignia is not showing doing any cruises on the website until May 2021.

O webpage "travel advisory" was just updated. Beyond the existing cancellations of all O ships through September, Insignia is now cancelled through April 2021. Obviously, this cancels the ATW cruise and its various segments - at least through April.

Nothing has changed for the other ships though it is close to the end of this month and I expect we'll see an extension of no sail for at least an additional month.

FWIW, one of our future cruises just got a notice easing the final pay deadline to 60 days out.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer