Well looks like we are looking at oct.

bikerunner

25 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Spain has extended its cruise ship ban indefinitely. 

Well that's a game changer for this Med season. The tiny hope there may be a few cruises in Sept to Nov probably won't happen 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, NC State said:

Based on our October Caribbean cruise it is still on. Celebrity has called people on our date to let them know it's still on go and we could book tours early.

I'd be really angry if I took them at their word and then booked tours and they cancelled.

Indefinitely just means “to be determined”.

It will be interesting to see if any new outbreaks occur when people start coming into Spain by other means of transportation. Covid doesn’t just travel by cruise ships.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mafig said:

I'd be really angry if I took them at their word and then booked tours and they cancelled.

I still have not received refunds for shore excursions on three cancelled cruises. One of them I have been waiting almost 90 days! I don’t think I would be booking any shore excursions yet.

• Like 1

Other than some exceptionally optimistic opinions, I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate with any degree of certainty that cruises will resume anytime soon. Crews just got home (most of them), CDC has said nothing,   countries are still closed, we don’t know any opening guidelines or regulations... other than some hopeful target dates and an opinion by the RCCL CFO that there will not be a ‘new normal’ (which is his pipe dream)...we have nothing. 

27 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Indefinitely just means “to be determined”.

It will be interesting to see if any new outbreaks occur when people start coming into Spain by other means of transportation. Covid doesn’t just travel by cruise ships.

I would even argue that it doesn't even MOSTLY travel by cruise ships. If it did, it would have stopped back when they all stopped cruising. And it hasn't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Other than some exceptionally optimistic opinions, I have seen or heard nothing that would indicate with any degree of certainty that cruises will resume anytime soon. Crews just got home (most of them), CDC has said nothing,   countries are still closed, we don’t know any opening guidelines or regulations... other than some hopeful target dates and an opinion by the RCCL CFO that there will not be a ‘new normal’ (which is his pipe dream)...we have nothing. 

Well, not mainstream lines. But Paul Gaugin Cruises is preparing to resume. Their protocol can be found here: https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

My niece is working at a junior level on the Oxford University vaccine project. She says the bosses are becoming more optimistic it will work. It is in the public domain that Astrazenica are manufacturing large quantities and are hopeful that many countries will have the vaccine by Christmas. If that happens it will be the game changer we all want to see. I fear it will be too late for my October cruise but saving lives and returning to normality is the key matter at hand. I read that a US project and a Chinese project are also optimistic but sounds like they are three to six month behind Oxford.

• Like 2

Interesting.  Especially the part of about getting a note from your doctor.  In other words you may have to find a doctor who is willing to certify that you are fit to travel.  Doctors may not want to do that based on liability, even if you’re healthy and have none of their listed pre existing conditions.  And by the time you get that note or not from your doctor you’ve already bought airfare, cruise fare etc.  if you didn’t buy CFAR insurance you’d be screwed. Unless the cruise line agrees to refund if you can’t get a note or test positive at the last minute.  To me it opens up a lot of questions.

I'm okay with testing prior to travel. ( Although that proves nothing as you could pick it up on the plane on the way). I don’t like the idea of getting permission from a doctor to travel. It’s an extra trip to a doctor at extra cost for one thing. In the beginning you’d get a lot of push back from the doctors too.  They’d be unsure about signing something due to liability, you’re wasting their time in an office visit. Some people may know their doctor well enough to call and get a note but mine would never do that. 

Just food for thought....

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, NC State said:

Based on our October Caribbean cruise it is still on. Celebrity has called people on our date to let them know it's still on go and we could book tours early.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Just remember that the people you talk to on the phone are going to be the last ones to know anything.  Their job is to bring money into the company, so they won't be told otherwise until it's announced to the public.

• Like 2

Reflection and Equinox sent another group home on charters from Barbados earlier this week.  Both ships, along with a couple of Royal ships have been acting as a hotel for crew trying to fly home.

Constellation just released another group of crew today, including some from Europe that had been on board the entire time.  

Here's hoping they get a short break at home, then are ready to return.  A number of them live in areas with few jobs available and need the job on the ship to take care of families.

I'm supposed to be on the Constellation for the holidays.  I'm hoping to be there.  I don't really care where we go, although I was looking forward to the Canal.  If the ship doesn't sail, I'll be looking to book a BNB or hotel in South FL for the holidays.  I'd rather be on a ship though.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:02 PM, wrk2cruise said:

I'm sure they are very happy to take your money right up to the time they cancel.  Then they will take 60 days to return it to you.

More like 90 for us.

T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmacs said:

My niece is working at a junior level on the Oxford University vaccine project. She says the bosses are becoming more optimistic it will work. It is in the public domain that Astrazenica are manufacturing large quantities and are hopeful that many countries will have the vaccine by Christmas. If that happens it will be the game changer we all want to see. I fear it will be too late for my October cruise but saving lives and returning to normality is the key matter at hand. I read that a US project and a Chinese project are also optimistic but sounds like they are three to six month behind Oxford.

Can't wait to see how they will distribute the avccine. travellers will not be in the first batch.

2 hours ago, dandee2 said:

Can't wait to see how they will distribute the avccine. travellers will not be in the first batch.

US is first in line.  pouring money everywhere.  The manufacturing of the astrezeneca vaccine is i believe more straightforward than the moderna vaccine.  They are pouring crazy money in and plan to have several hundred million doses is what they report by like winter.  US is fronting all the money, so they've claimed the first several hundred million.  They've said will give to health care workers and front line responders first.  But I believe they are building out manufacturing for billions worth of doses, so it should be fairly rapid for everyone else.

41 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

US is first in line.  pouring money everywhere.  The manufacturing of the astrezeneca vaccine is i believe more straightforward than the moderna vaccine.  They are pouring crazy money in and plan to have several hundred million doses is what they report by like winter.  US is fronting all the money, so they've claimed the first several hundred million.  They've said will give to health care workers and front line responders first.  But I believe they are building out manufacturing for billions worth of doses, so it should be fairly rapid for everyone else.

So 330 000 000 millions doses of vaccine (if one dose only needed) at (lets say) 1 000 000 people a day = 1 year
The US will need an army of nurses just to give the shots. Logistical nightmare.

5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Interesting.  Especially the part of about getting a note from your doctor.  In other words you may have to find a doctor who is willing to certify that you are fit to travel.  Doctors may not want to do that based on liability, even if you’re healthy and have none of their listed pre existing conditions.  And by the time you get that note or not from your doctor you’ve already bought airfare, cruise fare etc.  if you didn’t buy CFAR insurance you’d be screwed. Unless the cruise line agrees to refund if you can’t get a note or test positive at the last minute.  To me it opens up a lot of questions.

I'm okay with testing prior to travel. ( Although that proves nothing as you could pick it up on the plane on the way). I don’t like the idea of getting permission from a doctor to travel. It’s an extra trip to a doctor at extra cost for one thing. In the beginning you’d get a lot of push back from the doctors too.  They’d be unsure about signing something due to liability, you’re wasting their time in an office visit. Some people may know their doctor well enough to call and get a note but mine would never do that

All excellent insights and observations - thank you for taking the time to post. I know my doctor well but could not imagine asking for this, or even wasting his time with such an absurd request; I'm certain he has better things to do with his time.

I think bringing the crew back may be a big problem for the lines....I was reading that some of the countries have high rates of Covid....I would assume the crew would need to be in quarantine for at least two weeks before they can reboard. This could be a logistical nightmare.

Algebra- thanks for the update on repatriating some of the crew from Barbados. I asked for information on this process last week and got only one response about one person. Glad to hear this plan is moving forward.