Record infection numbers in Florida

soloadventurer

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

They were younger, but who knows if any of them spread it to others?

Not that young.  The woman interviewed is a 40 year old health care worker (who definitely should have known better).  https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/15/woman-15-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-lynchs/

The results of this study indicates asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19 may not be contagious. 

Abstract

Background: An ongoing outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has spread around the world. It is debatable whether asymptomatic COVID-19 virus carriers are contagious. We report here a case of the asymptomatic patient and present clinical characteristics of 455 contacts, which aims to study the infectivity of asymptomatic carriers.

Material and methods: 455 contacts who were exposed to the asymptomatic COVID-19 virus carrier became the subjects of our research. They were divided into three groups: 35 patients, 196 family members and 224 hospital staffs. We extracted their epidemiological information, clinical records, auxiliary examination results and therapeutic schedules.

Results: The median contact time for patients was four days and that for family members was five days. Cardiovascular disease accounted for 25% among original diseases of patients. Apart from hospital staffs, both patients and family members were isolated medically. During the quarantine, seven patients plus one family member appeared new respiratory symptoms, where fever was the most common one. The blood counts in most contacts were within a normal range. All CT images showed no sign of COVID-19 infection. No severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infections was detected in 455 contacts by nucleic acid test.

Conclusion: In summary, all the 455 contacts were excluded from SARS-CoV-2 infection and we conclude that the infectivity of some asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers might be weak.

Source:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32513410/

On 6/17/2020 at 11:27 AM, islandwannabee said:

Thats because a lot of new Yorkers have come to Florida in the past 4 weeks, just in my Central Florida small community, there is an abundance of New York visitors and vacationers. So sure New York numbers go down and Florida's go up. 

Here in the Stuart / Martin County area of Florida, many winter "snowbirds" are finally packing up to go back to NJ NY CT.  Two months later than usual.

The sense is that the covid is intensifying here in Florida, and the situation is significantly better in NY right now.  The reverse of how it was a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 8:42 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Numbers don't always tell a story.  If you test 100 and 5% positive, you get 5 people.  Now test 1.5 million and your number will go up if it still remains at 5%.  This argument will go on for months to come.  At the end of the day, it is your choice to either go or not to go.  It is a choice.  I'm going in September.  I have a friend going in August. It is my choice.....not some random news reporter crying the world is ending. 

No one will be cruising for a while.

In particular in August.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:20 AM, KsucAts said:

The virus isn't going away until we reach herd immunity.  There are two ways to get there.  One of those ways is a vaccine, which may or may not happen any time soon.  The other is through people getting the virus.  It will take a long time to get there at 5% positive rates, but eventually will happen if positive rates stay at 5%.  I haven't tried to do the math to figure that one out, but my gut tells me that it will be quicker than a vaccine.  Since the current 5% isn't overwhelming hospitals (and death rates are decreasing), it seems like we are on a good path.  Heck, maybe opening up more and getting it closer to 10% would be manageable as well.  

So to hell with those people who die from Covid as long as we get to 10%

On 6/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, grandgeezer said:

There's a story on msn.com about 16 friends who were at a bar, in Jacksonville celebrating a birthday and they all tested positive for the virus. There was no masks and no social distancing. All were positive that's where they got it. So far none of the cases has turned serious. They were younger, but who knows if any of them spread it to others?

No one knows where they got the virus.  For all anyone knows one person in the group had the virus and spread it to everyone else.  

Also, it is against the law to have groups of more than ten here in South Florida.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, CruiserBruce said:

At least the Florida Gov. is now acknowledging its not just more testings, as Florida's positive rate pushes the redline of 8%. I see Miami, Ft Lauderdale and a couple of smaller cities are now requiring masks.

"Redline"?

Edited by bouhunter

52 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Many states, and medical experts consider the 8% positive testing rate as one where the disease is now in a dangerous rate of spread.

The positive testing results are rising dramatically.  From today's Sun-Sentinel:

In the latest results, received by the state on Tuesday and reported Wednesday, 20% of the 27,602 people swabbed statewide tested positive. That’s higher than Tuesday, when 14.1% of 23,298 tests were positive.

Four weeks ago, on May 27, 3.7% of the 10,351 tests reported that day were positive.

• Like 1

It keeps going up on a daily basis......I am up in Duval County (where those 16 people caught it).........

Florida, Arizona, Texas and Calif have it bad right now and who knows what other states are going to join them with

these rising figures.😮

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

It keeps going up on a daily basis......I am up in Duval County (where those 16 people caught it).........

Florida, Arizona, Texas and Calif have it bad right now and who knows what other states are going to join them with

these rising figures.😮

California's positive test rate (5.6%, floating 7 day average) is NOWHERE near Florida, Texas and Arizona's...who are all above 17%...some above 20%. Those are crazy numbers. And California is doing 80K plus tests a day now, average...broke 100k tests yesterday for the first time. So, it's about positivity rate, not number of tests.

California's hospital admittance and ICU bed commitment for Covid is still pretty low and steady...slightly increasing. Some areas of Arizona, Texas and Florida are nearing capacity in their ICUs.

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

California's positive test rate (5.6%, floating 7 day average) is NOWHERE near Florida, Texas and Arizona's...who are all above 17%...some above 20%. Those are crazy numbers. And California is doing 80K plus tests a day now, average...broke 100k tests yesterday for the first time. So, it's about positivity rate, not number of tests.

California's hospital admittance and ICU bed commitment for Covid is still pretty low and steady...slightly increasing. Some areas of Arizona, Texas and Florida are nearing capacity in their ICUs.

Ok...so Cal is doing better....that is a good thing. I was just pointing out those are states that seem to always be at

the forefront lately.   I agree the numbers are crazy and they seem to be getting crazier by the day.

The Florida bar rules were a little confusing, so closing all of them made the situation easier to explain.

Broward, Miami-Dade, and Palm Beach county bars have not been open. The rest of the state has had open bars for several weeks.  The Governor closed the bars in the remaining 64 counties this weekend.

In Florida, if your licensed establishment derives more than 50% of its revenue from selling alcohol, you have a bar. If you are licensed, but derive  50% or less from the sale of alcohol, you can remain open. That covers restaurants, including some with  a bar space, and food trucks, etc as long as you buy food.

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

Here's a riddle for you - is a bar still a bar if it doesn't serve alcohol?

Hi Roz, I don't know, is it?

There are all kinds of bars....don't people use bars for working out?...there are bars for people in jail...and of course there are candy bars!😀

Right now Florida needs more than just closing bars......we need people to take this virus seriously. 

• Like 1

Not to mention coffee  bars in Italy.

I hear ya.  I see way too many people not wearing masks and not keeping their distance.  We had a record setting day here in Nashville with diagnosed cases and deaths.  The numbers aren't going in the right direction.  

Edited by Roz

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

Not to mention coffee  bars in Italy.

I hear ya.  I see way too many people not masks and not keeping their distance.  We had a record setting day here in Nashville with diagnosed cases and deaths.  The numbers aren't going in the right direction.  

I didn't realize Tennessee's numbers are going up too...........it is all a mess!😦

We were in Panama City Beach about three weeks ago and were surprised how many people were not wearing masks....anywhere!!

And to make it ever worse...we ate at multiple restaurants that week and NOT ONE single server or hostess wore masks anywhere we went!!!  The tables were all spaced apart but that was it!!

No wonder the state is blowing up!!!

20 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We were in Panama City Beach about three weeks ago and were surprised how many people were not wearing masks....anywhere!!

And to make it ever worse...we ate at multiple restaurants that week and NOT ONE single server or hostess wore masks anywhere we went!!!  The tables were all spaced apart but that was it!!

No wonder the state is blowing up!!!

I too have been astonded at the number of Floridians that refuse to ware a mask. I live in central Florida and get the impression people think since the state opened the pandemic must be over.  I'm in the over 65 age group and wonder when I will be infected when I don my mask to run errands.

The local health officials have been on the news most every evening urging people to practice social distancing and to wear a mask. These pleas seem to fall on deaf ears. Orange County issued mandatory mask wear a week or so ago. Seminole County (where I live) will mandate mask wear starting July 1.  I understand Daytona has issued mandatory wear as well. 

According to national news, Florida isn't the only state to have problems with increased infections.  A report I saw yesterday said 29 states have seen dramatic increases in daily infections.  

Go figure.

Yesterday we had a mask mandate put in place for when you are indoors.........if you are over 6 years old.

We have had plenty of pleas as well....and 500 Drs have sent a letter to the Mayor about the convention

and practicing safety procedures for it---not having it here would be the best thing but who knows if they

will follow precautions for anything of that nature😲

And your assessment is correct, we are 1 of MULTIPLE states going in the totally wrong direction. 

Well, things are GREAT here in

beautiful Central Florida on a somewhat overcast, and still way too hot and dry day !

NEGATIVE ... NEGATIVE !! - from  Covid-19 tests taken on Monday for both of us - yep, only 2 day turnaround ( still haven't gotten any

results taken from a drive thru test last Wednesday , now that doesn't matter anyway )

the NC beach house trip IS A GO - be nice to see the kids and just chill with multiple adult and kid-friendly beverages

wooo-hoooo

stay safe

peace out