CLIA puts hold on cruising from USA until September 15th

pumpkin 11

The numbers in most of the U.S. have decreased even with the protests and riots still occurring.    Glad to see that Iceland is open for ships as is French Polynesia.   The coastal cruises in Norway have also begin.   I wouldn’t mind a cruise around Tahiti about now.   None of these destinations are controlled by CLIA.

58 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Cruise Lines International Association - CLIA - Jun 19 announcement about the Extension of Cruise Suspension Day to Sept 15 '20

RCI is announcing an update on Jun 23, Carnival on Jun 22 and I haven't heard if Celebrity has announced an Update date. 

Thank you - obviously, I didn't expect to hear anything TODAY - just curious as to when Celebrity plans to announce new suspensions 

There is no TA cruise with the Apex in September listed. The cruises ( as of yet still listed) going before that are all out and into European ports! Which may very likley are open again by that time.

The first Apex-  TA from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale starts Oct. 22.

Also the Infinity is schdeduled Nov. 16 ( 2020) from Lisbon to Miami.

Is any  of those are  going- well, thats still a question for the crytal ball.

Edited by Germancruiser

Spain has shut its ports to cruise ships indefinitely as has Copenhagen. That cuts out most cruises from.Southampton. Princess. P and O and Cunard have all.effectively closed their summer European seasons.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am as sad about the cruising situation as anyone, but every time we get an announcement like this  I feel the most for the people whose livelihoods depend on cruising - the CEO's (yes, I even feel sorry for them), the office staff, the crew, the entertainers and other employees onboard, the people in many of the ports (particularly in the Caribbean) who depend on cruise passenger money for their very survival and the list goes on.  I really, really, really miss my cruising but I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to be in their shoes.   For that reason among many, I sincerely hope the lines survive this crisis and thrive in the future!

Well said me too.

6 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

In Virginia our cases have dropped quite a bit. Today, most importantly the long term care facilities were identified as being  responsible for 62% of the state wide deaths. No masks outside but all required inside. I do agree the media seems to relish in the upturn in cases in Fl, Tx and Az. But it’s all resulting in a bad feeling for cruising. I’m booked this Feb snd next. But I’m beggining to doubt this industry will survive, at least the large ships. If the vaccine doesn’t come until a year from now, they don’t have enough cash to survive.

Stayed in a hotel in VA on Tuesday night, it was fully booked and less than half of the guess were wearing masks. They offered continental breakfast the next morning.  That chain will never see our business again.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Orator said:

In Orange County (Orlando) testing has gone from 2% positive to over 15% positive in just one week! 16 girls went to a restaurant and didn't wear masks. All 16plus 2 employees contracted Covid-19. Today the Phillies closed and Toronto Blue Jays closed their Florida facilities due to Covid- 19 positive tests.  Apple announced today that they will close some stores in. Florida as well as a few other States due to the spread of Covid-19. I believe that personal behavior more than more testing is responsible for the spread. I know that for some facts are an annoying thing.

Thank you Charles, a man of reason.  Katie

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Based on some of the data being reported, Florida cases are increasing. Maybe by county or zip code there is little to no increase in the spread.

Not overwhelming as in NY or NJ or CA initially, yet between last week and this week there was an increase in tested positive cases and hospitalizations, overall, COVID-19 cases are no the rise.

For how long? We shall see for sure.

I have read that there are a few cities who are slowing down re-opening and businesses due to the jump.

Not sure where else one needs to look or read the statistics to verify what is going on in Florida, but this is a start for sure.

In health and bon voyage

Bo, try looking at the comparison between when the governor opened up the the state to today, it’s staggering.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oville said:

Stayed in a hotel in VA on Tuesday night, it was fully booked and less than half of the guess were wearing masks. They offered continental breakfast the next morning.  That chain will never see our business again.

Which chain please?   I want to avoid that happening to me.

• Like 1

I presume the cancellation of  cruises from the US is due to the fact infection rates are still rising in many states and that you are not over first wave yet? I wonder if cruises departing from other parts of the world for example Asia will still go ahead? It would appear that currently most of Europe and Asia are currently banning tourists from US and at the moment the UK.  Do you think ships will still sail if a large proportion of their customer demographic can’t board? 

12 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

This is just the start. I’m beginning to believe Summer of 2021 maybe the realistic start. It could even go to 1/1/2022. The expected drop in the virus this summer is not materializing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is in Europe including U.K. As they had proper lockdowns to stop virus and borders reopening with tourists coming back

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

It is in Europe including U.K. As they had proper lockdowns to stop virus and borders reopening with tourists coming back

Lockdowns were never intended to “stop the virus “, they were only designed to slow the spread so the hospitals didn’t get overwhelmed.  Unless you live on an island that only had a couple cases of the disease, the lockdowns won’t stop the virus.  Trying to continue the lockdowns to “stop the virus” won’t work and will only ruin the economy.  We need to find a way to live with the virus until a vaccine is developed.

• Like 4

Can someone help me see what the plan would be for the cruise lines to resume operations?    It seems like everyone wants a vaccine before cruises can resume.  Even if a vaccine was available in September how many people would need to be vaccinated for people to feel safe? Would the cruise lines require proof of a vaccine before you could sail?  It may also take several weeks before the vaccine is effective and some vaccines may require two shots with a month between shots.   So even if you started vaccinating people at the end of September it would still be the end of November before the very first people are protected.  I doubt the cruise industry would be first group vaccinated,  so at the earliest it looks like early 2021 before cruising resumes.   I hope the cruise industry and all of the local economies can survive that long.  And that’s the best case scenario with a vaccine available in September.

15 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Can someone help me see what the plan would be for the cruise lines to resume operations?    It seems like everyone wants a vaccine before cruises can resume.  Even if a vaccine was available in September how many people would need to be vaccinated for people to feel safe? Would the cruise lines require proof of a vaccine before you could sail?  It may also take several weeks before the vaccine is effective and some vaccines may require two shots with a month between shots.   So even if you started vaccinating people at the end of September it would still be the end of November before the very first people are protected.  I doubt the cruise industry would be first group vaccinated,  so at the earliest it looks like early 2021 before cruising resumes.   I hope the cruise industry and all of the local economies can survive that long.  And that’s the best case scenario with a vaccine available in September.

I think you're getting pretty close to reality which has been ridiculed by many over the past few months. I would think from second quarter 2021 is likely but that would be in the absence of a stronger second wave and a successful vaccine. Cruise lines will struggle to survive, some won't and when cruising returns there will be fewer lines and significantly fewer ships, the initial signs of disposals/scrapping are emerging this week and this will grow substantially. You make good points re vaccination, too early to say but late 2020 seems likely and until we see what the cruise lines propose and CDC/CLIA reactions it is impossible to guess where this will go. The only sure thing is that if they get it wrong and an outbreak occurs again on a cruise, the whole industry will go into melt down so they have to get it right. This whole thing is in the danger of blowing big time and I repeat my advice to grab a refund rather that FCC and sit this out for the time being, it would be hard to have sympathy for anyone in a loss position after getting sucked into booking cruises that are almost certainly not going to happen, the industry is acting despicably and it can only get worse. Aren't Carnival holding around $2 billion of refunds? What of others? Would you pay for a car that may not get built and hope for a refund? People need to wake up and smell the coffee.  Queue the accusations of  negativity!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I agree with you that parts of Europe have had better outcomes than some others and infection rate is dropping. Not so sure that I’d include the UK in those who have fared better. Additionally, it is only last week that UK implemented quarantine measures for most arrivals. So not many tourists arriving! 

Edited by zanderblue

6 hours ago, Oville said:

Bo, try looking at the comparison between when the governor opened up the the state to today, it’s staggering.

O - I did, but wanted to keep it as basic with 'official' and easy to follow graphs on the same page so as not to get into a different discussion as to how to combine graphs from different sources and statements.

I do realize that the poster may have been only talking about the city or county in FL where they live specifically and not the state as a whole? This may color what the poster is thinking about as well, but so be it.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Really hard to say what conditions will need to be in place for safe restart of cruising.

I’m inclined to think that it will be similar to normal life in general and will consist of multiple changes.

Vaccinated population 

Better treatment of disease to reduce severity and or mortality rates.

Some form of social distancing 

Enhanced health education for general public

more frequent deep cleans

more sanitiser locations

effective means of dealing with flare ups in local areas

Functioning trace, test and isolate system

etc, etc,

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

From reading many of your posts I believe that is a rhetorical question. I don't think anyone truly knows, least of all the cruiseline bosses. 

Phil 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The numbers in most of the U.S. have decreased even with the protests and riots still occurring.    Glad to see that Iceland is open for ships as is French Polynesia.   The coastal cruises in Norway have also begin.   I wouldn’t mind a cruise around Tahiti about now.   None of these destinations are controlled by CLIA.

"Riots?"  Where?  Demonstrations against racism, but no riots in the US.

CLIA is the association of cruise lines.  This is the cruise line industry stating it's too dangerous to restart any form of cruising before at least 15 September out of any port, anywhere.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

CLIA is the association of cruise lines.  This is the cruise line industry stating it's too dangerous to restart any form of cruising before at least 15 September out of any port, anywhere.  

@Ride-The-Waves I think you will find that the CLIA suspension refers to US waters and ports only and does not refer to European operations. 

"The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) trade group announced on Friday that its member cruise lines will extend its voluntary cruise suspension and cancel all cruises from U.S. ports until September 15, 2020"

https://cruising.org/news-and-research/press-room/2020/june/clia-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations-from-us-ports

• Like 1