Cruise industry to extend US sailing suspension until mid-September

Eagle_and_hawk

34 minutes ago, portiemom said:

So settle into social distancing, wear your face mask, stay safe, and try not to kill someone today.

don't tell me what to do !! Everyone is ENTITLED to live their own lives ... IT"S MY CRUISE  AFTER ALL !!! 

( tongue firmly in cheek ... or is it ? )

• Like 1

The future of cruising out of Port Everglades looks promising as Broward Commission Approves Port Everglades Growth Plan. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23121-broward-commission-approves-port-everglades-growth-plan.html

Seems folks who live within driving distance of Port Everglades and don't require an overnight hotel stay stand a better chance of being the first to enjoy a cruise vacation; depending of course on the islands, countries who are watching their tourism revenue dry up. 

22 hours ago, voljeep said:

don't tell me what to do !! Everyone is ENTITLED to live their own lives ... IT"S MY CRUISE  AFTER ALL !!! 

( tongue firmly in cheek ... or is it ? )

Just replace the word "mask" with the word "muzzle" and motives will become crystal clear. IMHO there are a lot of people who, if they cant have fun b/c theyre scared to death, believe no one else can have fun either.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Looks like the cruise industry has now cancelled cruises thru October. 

Every delay/extension makes me wonder if we will ever cruise again! How will the industry recover from this and if/when it does return, how different will the cruise experience be? More to the point, how much more expensive will it be? I'm in serious cruise withdrawal right now....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Every delay/extension makes me wonder if we will ever cruise again! How will the industry recover from this and if/when it does return, how different will the cruise experience be? More to the point, how much more expensive will it be? I'm in serious cruise withdrawal right now....

I am not ready to get on a ship yet - are you? I am worried about what school in session will be like this fall. I only go to grocery stores on non-peak times. As much as I want to cruise again, I want life to be normal again more.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6

On 6/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, franktown said:

Yes Disney theme parks plans to reopen in July but with many restrictions.  All guest must wear face masks at all times except when eating and drinking. Social distancing will be strictly enforced  Park will open at approximately 30% capacity.  No parades no fireworks and many other activities will not take place.   I have not seen the cruises lines come forward with that type of proposal and it might not be economically feasible for them to sail at 25 or 30 percent capacity or even 50%.  Would you be willing to wear a face mask when you are not in your cabin.  Have no shows etc.  The ball is really with the cruise lines to come up with a proposal that is something more than enhanced cleaning and expanded medical facilities.

You are all forgetting that Universal Studios, where I work, opened on June 5. Sea World opened June 11. Masks are required for employees AND guests. There are no parades or night time shows. There are social distancing markers anywhere someone must wait in a line. Attendance is limited. And it is working quite well. 

Orange county put a mandatory mask regulation in place on Saturday, as our cases are increasing. 

If I have to wear a mask, I  may consider cruising. If there are no shows, live entertainment, or activities like trivia, that would be a deal killer for me. That being said, my husband and I miss cruising, and long to be on a ship again; we have no idea when that will be, so for now, we are taking a 5 night trip to the beach next month. 

30 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am not ready to get on a ship yet - are you? I am worried about what school in session will be like this fall. I only go to grocery stores on non-peak times. As much as I want to cruise again, I want life to be normal again more.

No, for sure....not yet. But it just concerns me that the more they have to extend, the harder it's going to be for them to recover. How much longer are they able to sustain zero revenue and huge expenses?

My next booked cruise is Hawaii in March - I am seriously doubting that even this will sail! 

23 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

No, for sure....not yet. But it just concerns me that the more they have to extend, the harder it's going to be for them to recover. How much longer are they able to sustain zero revenue and huge expenses?

My next booked cruise is Hawaii in March - I am seriously doubting that even this will sail! 

There will definitely be casualties (monetary) in the cruise industry.

I don't think cruises will happen this year. I hope there is a vaccination next year and everything will return to normal.

2 hours ago, muffydawg said:

Just replace the word "mask" with the word "muzzle" and motives will become crystal clear. IMHO there are a lot of people who, if they cant have fun b/c theyre scared to death, believe no one else can have fun either.

The correct word is mask and my motive is to save lives and help people be well while educating others, especially other healthcare workers. It's definitely a challenge educating the general public. There is a lot of anxiety out there and some confusion and some people inherently don't trust scientists. That's too bad because I do what I do to help others, and COVID-19 is a public health issue which means that everyone's actions matter. Whether you choose to wear a mask or not. Whether you choose to observe social distancing guidelines or not. It's going to affect a lot of other people. So I think it comes down to asking yourself whether you trust doctors, nurses, scientists enough to follow the guidelines. I hope you are with us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

As much as I want to cruise again, I want life to be normal again more.

Me too, Coral. Me too. My husband had a devastating stroke 3 years ago. Now that he is retired we were planning to do lots of cruising. Finally we're in a position to do that and we had 3 cruises planned this year, and now this. So tough. I feel we are in limbo just standing by. But I'm not letting it get me down. God willing next year will be better.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, JudithLynne said:

Joepeka....are we on the same cruise?  May 1 2021 Emerald from Seattle RT?  We are staying on board for the Emerald Alaska cruise after that.  I accidently called them June cruises in my last post.

No, we're on the 5/1 LA to Vancouver repo cruise on Royal. Assuming we actually get to go on that cruise. 😒

11 hours ago, kimlovesfl said:

You are all forgetting that Universal Studios, where I work, opened on June 5. Sea World opened June 11. Masks are required for employees AND guests. There are no parades or night time shows. There are social distancing markers anywhere someone must wait in a line. Attendance is limited. And it is working quite well. 

Without all the experiences (parades, shows), has the admission price been lowered to reflect that?

Or are prices still the same, but without the same experience?

19 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Can you provide a link to that Information? The extension is thru Sept 15th and most cruise lines are selling cruises in October. 

If cruising does not  start for another 6 months... a thought  goes to all the staff and crew... what are they doing..... moving on with their lives.... or stuck in limbo ????

Even doing land based holidays around home.... will some of places be able to open... could staff have move on.. left town as no work, no money...

I am really wondering... any cruising or nice hotels etc.... will have all lost their staff.....

with that in mind staffing could be a big issue in getting things started again....

Cheers Don 

15 hours ago, muffydawg said:

Just replace the word "mask" with the word "muzzle" and motives will become crystal clear.

Absurd word association.

As you have posted, there will be plenty of people on ships who choose not to wear masks.

No one knows how strongly a cruiseline will enforce this.

This is exactly why other cruises need properly fitted n-95 masks.

If it's a coffee filter and dental floss, I'm no going.

14 hours ago, kimlovesfl said:

You are all forgetting that Universal Studios, where I work, opened on June 5. Sea World opened June 11. Masks are required for employees AND guests.

Kim -- what happens if a guest refuses to wear a mask?

Thank you.

13 hours ago, portiemom said:

Me too, Coral. Me too. My husband had a devastating stroke 3 years ago. Now that he is retired we were planning to do lots of cruising. Finally we're in a position to do that and we had 3 cruises planned this year, and now this. So tough. I feel we are in limbo just standing by. But I'm not letting it get me down. God willing next year will be better.

Similar to me. Recently retired, overcame a serious cancer thanks to the marvels of Immunotherapy and had three cruises cancelled. Feels like a precious year has slipped by. But thanks to China about 400,000 people have died so my problems are nothing.

23 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for letting us know. I won't make my final payment next month.

Can you let Princess know as well please because this morning they're trying to sell me a drink, gratuity and internet package for our October sailing.

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

Similar to me. Recently retired, overcame a serious cancer thanks to the marvels of Immunotherapy and had three cruises cancelled. Feels like a precious year has slipped by. But thanks to China about 400,000 people have died so my problems are nothing.

15 hours ago, portiemom said:

It's definitely a challenge educating the general public. There is a lot of anxiety out there and some confusion and some people inherently don't trust scientists. 

Leck57, I'll bet YOU trust scientists!  So do I, as I am also alive thanks to immunotherapy developed by scientists.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Without all the experiences (parades, shows), has the admission price been lowered to reflect that?

Or are prices still the same, but without the same experience?

You don't seriously think they lowered their prices, do you?

I think the CDC will be looking at how Disney world and other theme parks do.   I suspect that a theme park like Disney will have thousands in close proximity, and will have some type of program in place that tracks how many people might be infected.  If large theme parks make it thru the summer with minimal exposures; that may be a good sign for the cruise industry.

1 hour ago, mickrory said:

Thanks for letting us know. I won't make my final payment next month.

Can you let Princess know as well please because this morning they're trying to sell me a drink, gratuity and internet package for our October sailing.

I received an email from Princess telling me my Oct cruise was cancelled;  did you not receive notification about your cruise?