Cruising - Vaccine - Issue Older Persons Immune System

Doubt It

38 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

A concern for older persons re: the future of cruising for them..

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-may-not-work-in-older-people-experts-say-1.4997928

Interesting article that makes a lot of sense.  My mother, who is 80, has been getting a stronger version of the flu shot for several years.  I suspect that at some point there may be variations of the Covid-19 vaccine-- stronger version for the elderly and those with compromised immunity, a nasal spray version for children, etc.  In the meantime, it's going to be vital to have as many people as possible vaccinated.  Personally, as soon as it's available, I'll be in line. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nothing new here.  Some older folks have aging immune systems making them more susceptible to influenza, pneumonia, and yes COVID-19.  Well known statistics.  Vaccinating others in general will help protect them by herd immunity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

As an "older person," just let me say this:  I am responsible for the state of my immune system.  Not Bill Gates, the pharmaceutical industry, or the government.  If I keep my immune system healthy, I need not fear all of the current hysteria.

THIS!! 🌺🌼🌺

• Like 2

This is what happens when a basic science discussion familiar to anyone who's ever studied immunology gets wrapped into politics. There's no doubt that older immune systems tend to be less responsive. Anyone with any background in medicine or immunology wouldn't even consider this newsworthy. There's no reason right now to think that the response to a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine will have a different age effect than any other vaccine. Just like most cancers occur in older people.

Nothing new here at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:31 PM, markeb said:

Nothing new here at all.

That's because all the old people (like me) have a tendency to die off from a number of causes and  Covid-19 just accelerates the process.  Celebrity was looking for a younger demographic and they will have it.  Careful what you wish for.  New cruisers will be the ones left standing.

Yes, there has been not differentiations about the people who died from COVID 19 and those who died with COVID 19.   My sister is a physician and said that anyone who dies with COVID 19 in their system is considered a COVID death.   This obviously inflates the number of deaths.

• Like 1

Although you can do things to support your immune system you can't change the fact that elderly individuals do not respond to immune challenge as robustly as the young. Just part of growing older. One of the reasons that younger 50ish folk have more side effects from the shingles vaccine than older folk... which I experienced... and had to remind myself that the short term discomfort meant stronger immune response for which I am grateful.

• Like 1

No real new news in this article.

We plan to get the vaccine once it is available.  Since my wife and self are in our early 70s, but have no underlying conditions, we are not in panic about the COVID-19.  Still, because travel restrictions are all over the place, we don't plan to travel until 2021.

Hopefully, by then the vaccine and the fact that more people will have contracted the virus, will reduce any risk of the virus to us or our travels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get a plethora of bloodwork every year by the Cleveland Clinic/MDVIP.  My categories have always been green and the same for my hubby when it comes to our health.  Vaccines never have the exact same effectiveness in people due to a variety of factors.  So many of us have a strong conviction for cruising and our own personal responsibility of sharing information if that becomes the new normal.  I want to be safe, along with wanting the same for those on the ship...just my little opinion!  I will add that name calling and politics turn me off; I can do the research and fact checking myself...part of my profession!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, Fouremco said:

A very speculative article,

Not disagreeing with you at all but I have to say that I don't find it any more speculative than most of what is posted here on CC by most members (myself included).  Speculation is pretty much all we have at the moment.  Unfortunately, and pointing to no one in particular, some people have mistaken their personal speculation as fact and become quite offended, hostile even, when someone else's speculation conflicts with their own.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Not disagreeing with you at all but I have to say that I don't find it any more speculative than most of what is posted here on CC by most members (myself included).  Speculation is pretty much all we have at the moment.  Unfortunately, and pointing to no one in particular, some people have mistaken their personal speculation as fact and become quite offended, hostile even, when someone else's speculation conflicts with their own.

LOL. As I said in a different thread last Sunday, "Without rumours and idle speculation, posting numbers would be decimated!" I've nothing against speculation, as long as it is identified as such. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 12:14 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

As an "older person," just let me say this:  I am responsible for the state of my immune system.  Not Bill Gates, the pharmaceutical industry, or the government.  If I keep my immune system healthy, I need not fear all of the current hysteria.

This is me, as well. I am pushing 70 and have never had a flu shot. I have not had the flu since I was in high school. In my working days, I was always the staff member, who, when 75% of the office was out with the flu, a stomach virus, etc., made it to work with no issues. Let me be clear, I am not opposed to vaccines. I have had the shingles and pneumonia vaccines. Having said all this, and after  a long discussion with my primary care physician, I will get a flu shot this fall.  Why, because, if I got the flu, that would be the start of my immune system weakening. I will get the coronavirus vaccine when it is available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

LOL. As I said in a different thread last Sunday,

Sorry, I missed that post.  I "grounded" myself from CC for an entire week bc the hostility and negativity was messing with my head.  I do rather enjoy and appreciate your perspectives though 🙂.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Sorry, I missed that post.  I "grounded" myself from CC for an entire week bc the hostility and negativity was messing with my head.  I do rather enjoy and appreciate your perspectives though 🙂.

I'd wondered why you hadn't been posting, as I too enjoy your thoughtful and tempered perspective. I don't blame you for having dropped out for a while.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Welcome Back  😃