Rumor?

1 minute ago, Mhl76 said:

Any truth to the rumor that Royal Caribbean has been secretly working on upgrading the ships since the pandemic has started because there are no guests on board?

No, someone asked a while ago, but cash flow problems make that scenario ridiculous 

• Like 1

Ok I've heard there were some number of crew that still were not repatriated due to closed borders. I just thought maybe they could do some cleaning or something for what is free room and board. Agree it's no ones fault, but seems like they could do a little something. Not talking spending big money, but keeping ships cleaned or whatever. 

No I hadnt heard any rumours of renovations, just that not all crew was able to return home.

Edited by firefly333

For any major upgrades you need a ship yard and workers. Can´t be done by the crew only. They can make repairs or change carpets.

The Allure was in Cadiz and has just left with no major upgrades although everything was prepared. But they can´t get all the needed (extern) workers onboard.

steamboats

• Like 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Ok I've heard there were some number of crew that still were not repatriated due to closed borders. I just thought maybe they could do some cleaning or something for what is free room and board. Agree it's no ones fault, but seems like they could do a little something. Not talking spending big money, but keeping ships cleaned or whatever. 

No I hadnt heard any rumours of renovations, just that not all crew was able to return home.

Your idea makes sense, but there might be limitations on what each of them can do, due to their contracts.

So many rumors, starting date, selling off ships etc.  We will not know the truth until it is announced.  I am not sure that all of the staff has left all ships yet!  

If I were a gambler, I would bet however that we do not cruise until 2021.  An opinion, not a fact!

• Like 1

Explorer OTS  was scheduled to TA over to France mid-March to begin its refurbish. (some timing).  With that they had workers on board doing preliminary work since mid February.  They were working on elevators for one, as several were closed.

After the final 2 cruises, both private parties of a week each, I believe one a Star Trek theme, they were to board 300 or so workers to get started on the work during the TA.  

Since the docks in France closed, I heard they did not even board the 300, or boarded and quickly disembarked these workers.

Eddie

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yeah I'm sure there very grateful for that "free room and board" away from their family ........

Edited by bouhunter

Yes - They have an abundance of  extra  funds and are using this time with no revenue to spend millions and millions  to upgrade ships with the  hopes that  the company  will somehow  remain in business and one day ships will sail.   😀

M

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

Yeah I'm sure there very grateful for that "free room and board" away from their family ........

Of course they want to go home (that's a given). Did I not say due to borders closing? Does that not mean thsy cant just fly home? 

.. and things dont seem to be improving with more borders closing, especially to usa. It's good to be reminded of the critic in cruise critic. I'm well aware they are having trouble getting crew home. I'm in dallas and only too aware of rising problems.

Edited by firefly333

Royal Caribbean cancels all Odyssey of the Seas sailings through April 2021

IN: 
By: 
Matt Hochberg

Royal Caribbean has announced due to COVID-19's impact on the cruise line and shipyard operations, it has cancelled all scheduled Odyssey of the Seas sailings between November 5, 2020 - April 17, 2021.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/sites/default/files/styles/500px/public/blog-images/RCCL_Odyssey_CGI03_AftNight_09_RET_CROP_LR.jpg?itok=CWiedwCL

The cruise line made the announcement on Tuesday that the next new cruise ship on order is officially delayed due to a variety of factors that Royal Caribbean faces in the current economic climate

Though the abundance of time is ideal, I can’t imagine any cruise line being able to afford to do upgrades during this time. I’d personally rather them not waste any money on upgrades right now because it helps ensure they’ll have the money to stay afloat, so we can cruise again.