Magical Moments

What are some magical moments you have experienced during your cruise?

One of mine is on my second cruise on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. For some reason I couldn't sleep one night and I decided to take a walk along the promenade deck where I discovered the helicopter pad entrance. When I approached the area, I was in awe. The night sky was so clear and full of stars. It was like I was in a planetarium but this was the real deal. In the background all I could hear were the waves crashing against the ship. Nobody else was around and i just sat on the bench for 20 minutes admiring the beauty.  It was a very serene and unforgettable experience. 

Edited by Wannacruise81
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For me, it's always a similar experience.  Finding a quiet spot on the ship and watching sunset turn to night.  Seeing the ship's wake glow in the moonlight and looking out over seemingly endless seas and stars; listening to that soft sound of us making our way.  Really miss that.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 1

Seeing the midnight buffet in the dining room on the Navigator of the Seas. The whole set up was beautifully displayed. Ice sculptures and chocolate fountains and a ton of food! Miss those days with the special touches that used to be part of the cruise experience. 

This is pretty basic, but I love hanging out on our balcony late at night feeling the breeze, watching and hearing the waves created by the ship, looking at the sky, and frequently seeing other cruise ships lit up at night and often cruising at the same speed and direction of the ship we are on. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wannacruise81 said:

Three things in chronological order:

1. I still have fond memories of my first RCI cruise, on Monarch, and eating a night snack in what was, at the time, the open air 2nd deck of the Windjammer.  There were 2 waterfall walls in the space.  The whole atmosphere of the warm night air along with the sounds of the wind and waterfalls was just perfect.  

2. My marriage to my beautiful DW on Adventure of the Seas.

3. Like Hoopster, I'll never forget the Venice sail away.  They played Bocelli's Time to Say Goodbye over the loudspeakers. Best sail away ever!

There have been many magical moments. Top 3 that I can remember now.

1. Same as bouhunter. Sailing out of San Juan when the fort and Old San Juan are lighted up. ( A few times. Different cruise lines).

2. Looking up to see the stars knowing that these would be different stars that the ones that I normally see in North America during my Antártica trip. Marine Expeditions- Disko.

3. Sailing out of Germany with a  Handkerchief and glass of champagne in hand given by the cruise and the local people waving goodbye to  you. Peter Deilmann Ms Deutschland. (Only time I have experienced this in 47 cruises).

Being invited to participate in sail away from St. Thomas on the helipad of an Oasis class ship. Believe it was the Allure, but could have been the Oasis. The helipad area is closed to passengers on those class of ships. They had special entertainment and officers mingled.  Not a big rub elbows with the brass person, but this was cool since we would be enable to be there any other way. We've never seen this event since.

Funniest memory....We decided to catch a sunrise.  Headed up to the top of the ship.  There was a group of 20 somethings there to watch as well.  As they all began to leave, they were telling each other "good night".  They were just heading to bed as we were starting the day! 😁  Oh, to be so young!

On 6/30/2020 at 6:05 AM, Wannacruise81 said:

One of mine is on my second cruise on the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda. For some reason I couldn't sleep one night and I decided to take a walk along the promenade deck where I discovered the helicopter pad entrance. When I approached the area, I was in awe. The night sky was so clear and full of stars. It was like I was in a planetarium but this was the real deal. In the background all I could hear were the waves crashing against the ship. Nobody else was around and i just sat on the bench for 20 minutes admiring the beauty.  It was a very serene and unforgettable experience. 

Seeing the Statue Of Liberty and realizing how wonderful this world could be.

• Like 2

OP, I agree that seeing the starry sky is indeed magical!  We had an experience like yours, on a dark open space, and saw a number of shooting stars, as well as the starry firmament.  And one time, DH woke me in the middle of the night to see the thousands of stars visible from our cabin window, in the middle of the Atlantic.

Departures are always wonderful, but the one most special to me was our first transatlantic, knowing that we would not see land again for nearly a week.

We were scheduled to arrive at the Straits of Gibraltar in daylight.  Hundreds of us lined the rails on the top deck for several hours in anticipation.  As we drew closer, we could see Europe on the left, and Africa on the right.  Looking down into the water, we saw a giant sawfish, hundreds of sunfish, dolphins -- from 14 decks up.

Walking the top deck, with the vast sea and sky all around us, in good weather or bad, always brings to mind the word Bliss.

And sometimes our fellow humans bring a touch of magic.  The mix of nationalities, whether crew or passengers, seems more special on a cruise.  I have a picture in my mind of a threesome we saw talking together: an Indian man in a turban, a chic Japanese young lady, and an American man in a Veteran ballcap and loud Hawaiian shirt.  At the same time we had met people from Tunisia, Brasil, South Africa, Germany, Italy, India, Mauritius, and more.

• Like 2

Don't know if this is magical, but here goes. The plumbing failed on the Radiance  on one of our cruises. DH got up and used our bathroom. He said whatever you do, don't do anything in the bathroom. Well as soon as he said that I had to go....with no where to go. So I started exploring the ship in the middle of the night with no one around....trying to find working amenities. Well my brain finally woke up and I decided to go to the opposite end of the ship from where our cabin was and found what I was looking for. The ship was amazingly quite and serene on my sojourn. All this resulted in a $300 OBC from the captain for everyone on the ship.