EU Canada yes, USA no.

Oville

What are the required milestones that must be achieved for countries to no longer be banned? 

What happens if an EU country jumps back up with cases?

Any thoughts if distant travel for us are out for now...but we eventually wanted to  do a TA on QM 2 with trvl in Europe..,,and then a TA back... Hopes are now dashed!

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes it is a nice blend of actual historical events with fictional themes to create a compelling series for watch-ability.  Not a documentary.  But even documentaries are in the eye of their creators too.

We enjoy the Crown as well - it is a compelling series.

“Based on a True Story” movies have creativity as well.   My MIL praised “A Perfect Storm” and we watched it with her, expecting an amazing true story.   When no one survives at the end of the movie, I was “HUH?”  LOL!    Yes, a storm happened and the boat perished at sea - so the beginning and the end were more/less accurate - but ALL the stuff in the middle was “creative"

1 minute ago, hvbaskey said:

We enjoy the Crown as well - it is a compelling series.

“Based on a True Story” movies have creativity as well.   My MIL praised “A Perfect Storm” and we watched it with her, expecting an amazing true story.   When no one survives at the end of the movie, I was “HUH?”  LOL!    Yes, a storm happened and the boat perished at sea - so the beginning and the end were more/less accurate - but ALL the stuff in the middle was “creative"

And of course all "reality" series are completely scripted.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

Actually a lot of it is true!  Hard to believe but Roddy Llewellen was a scandal at the time.  The smogs of the 50s and early 60s. The Aberfan disaster etc.

Great series and very well done.

Yeap, as I said, based on actual events but some of the dialogue and the way the main characters react privately is surmised. But it is a great series, I'm still only on series 2. 

Edited by sgmn

2 hours ago, hcat said:

What are the required milestones that must be achieved for countries to no longer be banned? 

What happens if an EU country jumps back up with cases?

Any thoughts if distant travel for us are out for now...but we eventually wanted to  do a TA on QM 2 with trvl in Europe..,,and then a TA back... Hopes are now dashed!

They are trying to make the criteria objective and data driven.  They are:

• number of new COVID-19 cases over the last 14 days and per 100 000 inhabitants close to or below the EU average (as it stood on 15 June 2020)
  • stable or decreasing trend of new cases over this period in comparison to the previous 14 days
  • overall response to COVID-19 taking into account available information, including on aspects such as testing, surveillance, contact tracing, containment, treatment and reporting, as well as the reliability of the information and, if needed, the total average score for International Health Regulations (IHR). Information provided by EU delegations on these aspects should also be taken into account.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2020/06/30/council-agrees-to-start-lifting-travel-restrictions-for-residents-of-some-third-countries/

"The benchmark is the E.U. average number of new infections — over the past 14 days — per 100,000 people, which is currently 16 for the bloc. The comparable number for the United States is 107, while Brazil’s is 190 and Russia’s is 80, according to a Times database."

So the US would at least have to stop having cases growing, and it would require some combination of US slashing cases by factor of 7nor EU increasing by a factor of 7 or to meet in the middle somewhere.

Given the current political climate, I expect the travel ban to apply until a vaccine is developed, and then i expect proof of vaccine in order to enter at least for a while.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

So the US would at least have to stop having cases growing, and it would require some combination of US slashing cases by factor of 7nor EU increasing by a factor of 7 or to meet in the middle somewhere.

I’m thinking much heavier on the slashing side....

If EU goes much above 20, I suspect all borders will be buttoned up tight again and noby will be going much of anywhere.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I just commented that I enjoyed watching the series.  I know it is not completely factual.  Nothing on TV, in Movies or in the Media is completely factual.  I personally am a fan of historical shows and historical fiction.  So why the comment?

Wasn't responding to you ... just agreeing with another post.  I enjoy all of these shows, I know they are based on actual historic events, but also realize that they contain a certain amount of creative license ... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

We are also waiting to see what will happen in Europe over the next months ... we had hoped for a long cruise/land combo, but may have to "just" do the land portion ... 

My understanding is that the restrictions apply to all types of tourist travel from the US into the EU, not just cruising.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

My understanding is that the restrictions apply to all types of tourist travel from the US into the EU, not just cruising.  

And you are correct! Entry will be denied - no matter if by air, sea or land.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

We are also waiting to see what will happen in Europe over the next months ... we had hoped for a long cruise/land combo, but may have to "just" do the land portion ... 

I don’t think US citizens can visit Europe under any circumstances.  Flights will not be available either.  Sorry, but Europe is not an option for you at this time.  However, once your stats fall within acceptable levels,  Europe will re-evaluate it’s decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

I don’t think US citizens can visit Europe under any circumstances.  Flights will not be available either.  Sorry, but Europe is not an option for you at this time.  However, once your stats fall within acceptable levels,  Europe will re-evaluate it’s decision.

Quick look at the US Department of State website indicates that its a two-way street.  US has placed a "Level 4" travel restriction on Americans traveling outside of the US.  The EU has restricted Americans from "non-essential" and tourist travel into the EU.  "Flightaware" is showing cross-Pond flights between the US and EU, although limited in number.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

54 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Quick look at the US Department of State website indicates that its a two-way street.  US has placed a "Level 4" travel restriction on Americans traveling outside of the US.  The EU has restricted Americans from "non-essential" and tourist travel into the EU.  "Flightaware" is showing cross-Pond flights between the US and EU, although limited in number.

As usual, the subtle differences are either not apparent to you, or you’ve simply chosen to ignore them.  The State Department is telling Americans not to travel for non-essential reasons (basically stopping Americans from leaving the US).  The Europeans are currently permitting citizens from a short list of countries to travel into Europe, the US is not yet on that list (basically, not permitted to enter Europe).  So, it’s not a two-way street at all in the sense you tried to portray it.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

As usual, the subtle differences are either not apparent to you, or you’ve simply chosen to ignore them.  The State Department is telling Americans not to travel for non-essential reasons (basically stopping Americans from leaving the US).  The Europeans are currently permitting citizens from a short list of countries to travel into Europe, the US is not yet on that list (basically, not permitted to enter Europe).  So, it’s not a two-way street at all in the sense you tried to portray it.

So you claim that those of us resident in the US can travel to Europe, to any EU country, at will?  Both directives put a halt on non-essential travel between the EU and the United States.  The EU doesn't want Americans because of our spiking COVID-19 inflection rates and the US doesn't want Americans to travel because of high infection rates in other countries.  Its both ways,. just like Canada has closed non-essential cross-border travel to Americans and the US the same for Canadians entering the US.  Going either way "non-essential" means that no one is cruising from either country/union to the other and there are no trans-Atlantics permitted.  No too challenging to understand.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

I’m not sure what “street” we are looking at, but at the moment we US citizens cannot travel to the EU because of the high numbers in the US not because of the numbers in the EU. It’s our failure to control the virus. Let’s hope we get it together and flatten the curve. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

6 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Oh, we are well aware that no European travel is possible for us right now!  As well as travel to Australia and other places.  We're looking at the second half of 2021 at the earliest.

Edited by Lady Chew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RICCruisers said:

I’m not sure what “street” we are looking at, but at the moment we US citizens cannot travel to the EU because of the high numbers in the US not because of the numbers in the EU. It’s our failure to control the virus. Let’s hope we get it together and flatten the curve. 

The US Administration also is banning European (Shenghen, UK, Ireland) citizens to the US.  AMCITs who have been in those countries must isolate for 14 days on arrival.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

I'm not sure how many people from any other country in the world are longing to travel to the US any time soon, so the point that the US border is closed to the EU and many other countries is moot. This thread is trying to highlight the fact that because of the unprecedented outbreak in the United States and the fact that the US has been left off the list of acceptable countries to the EU.

Clinging to the "we banned them too" argument isn't going to help flatten the curve in the US.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Well the volumes of anticipated Canadians to the EU are likely to be down as well - Air Transat cancelled by 1 way return flight from Paris to Toronto, Sept 27, 2 weeks ago (for those who are Canadian, Canadian airlines will not give refunds, grrrr, so did the credit card dispute route, my money is already in my account, not an issue).

The EU rhetoric is nice but the brutal reality of the travel marketplace is that few people from any country will be visiting the EU - so their banned country list is rather a mute point.

50 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Well the volumes of anticipated Canadians to the EU are likely to be down as well - Air Transat cancelled by 1 way return flight from Paris to Toronto, Sept 27, 2 weeks ago (for those who are Canadian, Canadian airlines will not give refunds, grrrr, so did the credit card dispute route, my money is already in my account, not an issue).

The EU rhetoric is nice but the brutal reality of the travel marketplace is that few people from any country will be visiting the EU - so their banned country list is rather a mute point.

My sister and her husband booked Air Transat  return Paris from September 19 to 30th from Toronto just yesterday with no problem.  I have no idea why your flight was cancelled, so it seems to be quite inconsistent booking flights.  They are aware that they will need to quarantine most likely when they return.

53 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Think majority of travellers will mainly be within the EU zone. Even though things have relaxed a little in UK I think most people are still wary of travelling for pleasure. Maybe the young will..... 

Just to throw in a piece of information...

European cruise lines are starting to offer short "cruises to nowhere" from July/August on.

In Germany AIDA, TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises offer cruises from German ports ( eg Norwegian Fjords from Hamburg). FYI: Aida belongs to Carnival, TUI is a joint Venture with Royal.

They sail with a reduced capacity around 60% and veranda staterooms and suites only. There will be no stops. The cruises can already be booked - prices are reasonable (around € 600).

So this can be seen as a dimm light at the end of the tunnel. And for sure as a field study...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Think majority of travellers will mainly be within the EU zone. Even though things have relaxed a little in UK I think most people are still wary of travelling for pleasure. Maybe the young will..... 

Agree.  The EU has reduced infection rate to a low level and enough to permit north to "traditional" south travel during the summer vacation months.  The "migration" to the beaches of the Mediterranean and Adriatic should be near normal.  

43 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

My sister and her husband booked Air Transat  return Paris from September 19 to 30th from Toronto just yesterday with no problem.  I have no idea why your flight was cancelled, so it seems to be quite inconsistent booking flights.  They are aware that they will need to quarantine most likely when they return.

For sure, I’ve seen flights out of Canada to the EU (back in business); yet GoC is still advising against non-essential travel which in our case (could be different for others), our medical insurance outside of CA would be kaputzied.

In addition, the mandatory 14-day Quarantine is still into effect until end of August 2020 and most likely will be extended.  Violators of the Quarantine Act are subject to up to $750,000 - $1 million fine and up to 3 years in prison if lives are put at risk.  Since we would have to return to work (ie., we are not happily retired as of yet); this most definitely keeps us from heading to YYZ.

We would love to travel, but with GoC advisories still in play - safely staying at home ... fingers crossed for 2021 🐳🌻

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

For sure, I’ve seen flights out of Canada to the EU (back in business); yet GoC is still advising against non-essential travel which in our case (could be different for others), our medical insurance outside of CA would be kaputzied.

In addition, the mandatory 14-day Quarantine is still into effect until end of August 2020 and most likely will be extended.  Violators of the Quarantine Act are subject to up to $750,000 - $1 million fine and up to 3 years in prison if lives are put at risk.  Since we would have to return to work (ie., we are not happily retired as of yet); this most definitely keeps us from heading to YYZ.

We would love to travel, but with GoC advisories still in play - safely staying at home ... fingers crossed for 2021 🐳🌻

They are going on business and their travel insurance is company paid.  We, like you, will not be going anywhere this year.  Two Europe cruises booked for 2021 and hoping we go.  

• Like 1