Boarding refused? Hypothetical question.

sandancer

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We are warm blooded mammals, our temperature doesn’t vary with the outside temperature.

Only reptiles are effected by variances of ambient temperature.

Incorrect, we are all effected by variances of temperature, try sitting out in the sun for a few hours!

Actually the upper limit to be considered a temperature is 100.4 which converts to 38 degrees Celsius.

Normal temperature of 98.6 converts to  37 degrees Celsius.

This was Celebrity"s policy back in early March: 

"Effective Friday, March 6, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests, crewmembers, and visitors prior to boarding any vessel.  Your temperature will be taken via a noninvasive digital scan.  If your temperature registers above 100.4°F (38° C), you and your traveling companions will be referred to a secondary health screening.   

Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings.  Any guests who are denied boarding due to concerns during their health screening will receive 100% refund. " 

• Thanks 1

Note to self.. pack a wash cloth and use it as a cold water compress on head and wrists  in restrm before  boarding. Or run cold water over wrists. Drink an icy slushy.

I run cold but just in case.....

Can someone explain the pulse oximetry reading,?????

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Can someone explain the pulse oximetry reading,?????

It's a device that they put on your finger that reads the oxygen saturation level of your blood. No needles or anything - contact only. My doctor's office uses it as part of my regular check-up. (I don't know how it works beyond that.)

On 7/4/2020 at 4:11 AM, sandancer said:

So the scenario is this: Mr and Mrs Cruiser arrive at the port (both are over 65) after a long, tiring flight from their home where it rarely gets above 65. It is in the high 80s so both are hot and bothered. Temp is taken by check in staff and it is above the required limit. They are refused boarding despite having no other symptoms. Travel insurance is not valid for Covid 19 problems. Would the cruise line assist or offer any compensation? I anticipate the answer is no, they are not required to offer anything but curious to know what the procedure would be and I’m sure someone on these boards will know. 

I just had the exact same thing happen to me this morning, as I arrived to attend church.  I live in Houston.  It is HOT here today.  I had to walk a good bit from parking lot, kind of running late (LOL, that seems to be the story of my life) and as entered and got temperature checked, it was 100.5.  I was asked to step to the side and sit in an area (socially distanced and masked) for a couple of minutes.  Then my temperature was taken again, this time it was 97.8.  I was then able to sign in and attend mass.   They SHOULD have this same type of set up.   

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 2:33 PM, GerScot said:

Incorrect, we are all effected by variances of temperature, try sitting out in the sun for a few hours!

GerScot, correct!  I live in Houston, my temperature was certainly elevated after a fast walk in 94 (feels like 102) degree heat across a parking lot in the blazing sun this afternoon as I was checked to attend church.    

49 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Just pop a couple Tylenol’s an hour before boarding to reduce temp 1-2 degrees in the event your reading might be in the low grade range.  

Or just do the honest thing- get your temp scanned, and if it's elevated, wait as directed, in a cool place and have it rechecked. Taking an antipyretic because you think you might have a fever is both dishonest, and potentially dangerous to others if you really are ill. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mom says said:

Or just do the honest thing- get your temp scanned, and if it's elevated, wait as directed, in a cool place and have it rechecked. Taking an antipyretic because you think you might have a fever is both dishonest, and potentially dangerous to others if you really are ill. 

You missed the point. It’s not because one thinks they have a fever or even a virus for that matter.  It’s to bring your temp down a degree or 2 from the stress of travel before boarding. Many people are coming in from taxis and trains and it’s very likely their body temp could be elevated.  This coupled with the fact that the thermometers are far from exact and it would be unfortunate that someone would be denied boarding when they weren’t even sick at all in the first place.  If someone is legitimately sick with a virus , Tylenol will not do much and certainly wouldn’t bring them into an acceptable range.  I’m certainly not leaving my cruise fate in the hands of an air conditioned waiting area for a predetermined amount of time.  

Also - will the cruise lines test people coming back from ports ? What happens if someone has an elevated temperature when returning from a port day in say St Petersburg , Russia? Will they be denied boarding there or is the cruise line obligated to secure the passenger after embarkation ?

Edited by XuGator

6 hours ago, XuGator said:

I’m certainly not leaving my cruise fate in the hands of an air conditioned waiting area for a predetermined amount of time.  

Do you spend a lot of time strategizing on how to circumvent processes and rules then rationalizing why your actions are acceptable, maybe even necessary?

• Like 3

I agree that whole host of things can result in an elevated body temperature. Even measured orally. I donate blood regularly and they always do the oral temperatures. One time my temperature was 99.8. Sat for 10 minutes and re-tested at 98.6. She thought it could have been from walking from my car to the donation site or the fact that I typically drink water flavored with pieces of lemon and she said the lemon can raise your body temperature. The only reasonable thing would be for them to give you an opportunity to sit in a cool place for several minutes before calling it a fever. 

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Do you spend a lot of time strategizing on how to circumvent processes and rules then rationalizing why your actions are acceptable, maybe even necessary?

I spend about 6 seconds on precautionary measures I can take to salvage 10-20k cruise vacations. Ps - taking an over the counter medication is not circumventing any rules.  Some people take Tylenol daily for aches and pains. There sure are a lot of self righteous people on these boards.  

Edited by XuGator
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, XuGator said:

I spend about 6 seconds on precautionary measures I can take to salvage 10-20k cruise vacations. Ps - taking an over the counter medication is not circumventing any rules.  Some people take Tylenol daily for aches and pains. There sure are a lot of self righteous people on these boards.  

I would argue that taking an OTC med for the sole purpose of lowering your temp in order to ensure you pass the initial temp scan is indeed circumventing the rules. A totally different thing from taking the same drug for a legitimate reason- as an analgesic.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mom says said:

I would argue that taking an OTC med for the sole purpose of lowering your temp in order to ensure you pass the initial temp scan is indeed circumventing the rules. A totally different thing from taking the same drug for a legitimate reason- as an analgesic.

Exactly! I worked at a daycare center at one time, and our director expelled a child because the mom actually said “You mean the baby Tylenol wore off already?” when she called because the child had thrown up and had multiple explosions out the other end and was running a fever. (This was not the first time the mom had pushed boundaries, but exposing the entire center to whatever the kid had was the last straw.)

On 7/4/2020 at 8:38 AM, cruiserhal said:

Yesterday my wife had her temp taken after driving in a hot car and it was over the limit.  She was asked to sit in a cool area for 5 minutes.   It was taken again and she was normal.   It does happen.    I would hope the cruise lines would allow this same type of process where someone can cool off for 5 minutes before taking the temp again.

i was in a cool car and 4 of us went in to a furniture store. we were all 91 and 92 degrees. whew. no covid! 

any idea how they are handing things like the 15K people that work  in the empire state building every day and all the other skyscrapers in the country. 15K is more than any ship in the world i believe. so however they keep those people safe everyday should work on a cruise ship, right? 

those people all walk/drive/subway etc etc. same as cruise ships. 

and theres the solution 🙂

9 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

any idea how they are handing things like the 15K people that work  in the empire state building every day and all the other skyscrapers in the country. 15K is more than any ship in the world i believe. so however they keep those people safe everyday should work on a cruise ship, right? 

those people all walk/drive/subway etc etc. same as cruise ships. 

and theres the solution 🙂

They walk up and down the stairs single-file and stairways are specifically designated up or down to avoid any meeting.... just like in the grocery store.  Additionally, everybody brings a bag lunch to eat at their desk so as to avoid unnecessary travel and promote social distancing.

18 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Exactly! I worked at a daycare center at one time, and our director expelled a child because the mom actually said “You mean the baby Tylenol wore off already?” when she called because the child had thrown up and had multiple explosions out the other end and was running a fever. (This was not the first time the mom had pushed boundaries, but exposing the entire center to whatever the kid had was the last straw.)

I think I get what that poster was trying to say. Obviously you if know you are sick and have a fever plus other symptoms you should not take Tylenol to be allowed entry somewhere. But, for example, I have a promotional test  coming up at work in a couple weeks. They are taking temperatures at the door and if you are over 100 they said they will not let you take the test (so you can't get promoted for close to two years). They have not prohibited taking Tylenol before the test. If I do not feel sick and I have no symptoms, I would not be opposed to taking a Tylenol before I go just to be extra sure I won't test over 100. I have tested at 99.8 before when I wasn't sick, so 100.1 isn't out of the realm of possibility for me if I'm walking from my car to the building on a hot day and rushing due to feeling stressed. Under that context, I don't see an issue with it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Under that context, I don't see an issue with it. 

OK.

The poster’s scenario  was more concerned with preserving his financial position without much regard for the health of everybody else.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

They walk up and down the stairs single-file and stairways are specifically designated up or down to avoid any meeting.... just like in the grocery store.  Additionally, everybody brings a bag lunch to eat at their desk so as to avoid unnecessary travel and promote social distancing.

gotta admit after 4 flights id be winded. how in the world do those people do 80 or 90 flights without sweating in their professional clothing? amazing. plus with 73 elevators only being able to take 4 people at a time that has to take all day just getting too work

2 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

gotta admit after 4 flights id be winded. how in the world do those people do 80 or 90 flights without sweating in their professional clothing? amazing. plus with 73 elevators only being able to take 4 people at a time that has to take all day just getting too work

If your desk is located beside a window on a high floor the view makes it all worth the effort.

22 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK.

The poster’s scenario  was more concerned with preserving his financial position without much regard for the health of everybody else.

As is mine. And the poster did clarify their post to the fact that the idea was to bring your temp down a degree to account for a stress related increase as opposed to being sick. Someone else posted about using a cold compress on their face/wrists before getting tested which is the same idea. 

False high temperatures can certainly occur and that should not preclude you from engaging in something you would like to do. Prior to 6 months ago, feeling healthy was generally good enough. Not really a reason now for that not still be good enough. 

Edited by sanger727