Which Princess sailings, (if any) do you think will sail this year? (And why)

CineGraphic

50 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

If things go really bad and the ships end up with the lenders; they will then sell the ships to lowest bidder.  Somewhere down the road cruise lines will sail again.

The step before that would have the lenders take control, liquidate (that means wipe out) the common shareholders and attempt to get (the lenders) made whole on a restart.  

This is the often repeated pattern of every major U.S. airline other than Southwest.  

I personally don't think it will come to this, but this is the step prior to full liquidation which would stick lenders with pennies on the dollar.  So long as the cruise companies are willing to pledge a greater and greater share of assets to the lenders, they'll find more loans, and those lenders will undoubtedly take control of the Company before seeing their assets dumped into the market in an uncontrolled fashion.  New management would be brought in, and and all contracts would be voided, nonessential assets sold this could include the sale terminal rights or the default of terminal development contracts (for example).

The only hope for lenders to be made whole is to hold on for a return to 'normal' operations, even if this means they have to take control of the Company for themselves.  

I read an article that thousands  of ship crew personnel are still stuck on ships. The cruise lines are still trying to get them home but so many ports are closed because of covid-19.   Cruise ships are anchored all over the world. The article has a map of the ships just off the coast of Manila.

The first step is to get those people home. Then the ships have been idle and I would assume in need of its of  rehab, paint, cleaning, checking all the systems. If you are talking about Regal, Royal, Majestic, Sky, the ships are 2 football fields long and 19 decks. 

The above 2 things will take a long time. Then they have to start assembling staff for the ships. I am not sure crew  that have  had a bad experience during this pandemic  will probably not want to go back.

Add to  that Florida which is in a bad  covid situation which will take a long time to get out of that mess to eve open up for port openings.

I don't see how all of that can be done in 2020.

Sali

13 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I have a cruise booked with Princess for Oct 2021;  New England/Canada.  Right now I say this ship will sail. 

With the amount of Canadians that want the US Canada border to remain closed the rest of this year our Prime Minister likely will push for this to continue for some time unless a miracle happens and the number of Covid cases in the US dramatically subsides.  

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

geocruiser;  I am hopeful that things around the world get better and a vaccine is developed and we get CDC and WHO clearance to sail again.  You have to have faith; so keep the faith

I keep thinking of some of the cruise lines in the pass that went under.  Premier Cruise line comes to mind.  It was the fifth largest cruise line at the time it went under, so I have read.

We're booked on the Regal out of Sydney (round NZ and back) for 15 Dec 2020. It was looking good until the recent outbreak in Victoria (Melbourne). Prior to the outbreak I thought our chances were good to go, now I am thinking 50:50. 

Also booked on the NCL Getaway next year out of Rome with FCC from a cancelled April 2020 cruise (Panama on the Bliss). This may end up being our first cruise since May last year.

CCL Corp is having a stock analysts briefing this Friday.

Possibly they will make announcements before or at that briefing.

CCL Corp did issue a press release Monday about Carnical Cruise Line ship delays and cancellations of additional cruises.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-cruise-line-sets-ship-delivery-changes-and-related

We've sailed about 35 times on RCI but had our 1st Princess cruise booked for November through the Panama Canal, as I'm not familiar with Princess, if they are going to cancel how far out do they normally do it?

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

None from Melbourne for the foreseeable future

The second wave has come 190+ case today  770 in hospital

and now back to lockdown as from tomorrow night for 6 weeks....

Oh well them's the brakes

Cheers Don

Don you guys are on lockdown for the next six weeks?

22 minutes ago, welshrich said:

We've sailed about 35 times on RCI but had our 1st Princess cruise booked for November through the Panama Canal, as I'm not familiar with Princess, if they are going to cancel how far out do they normally do it?

I had my Oct 27th cruise cancelled by Princess.  Received an email in May; so that was a six month notification.  What ship are you on and what is your cruise date?

29 minutes ago, welshrich said:

We had a late July cruise that I cancelled in early April as I saw that it looked impossible. Princess cancelled it officially a month later in early May, actually about a week after final payment was originally due.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

I had my Oct 27th cruise cancelled by Princess.  Received an email in May; so that was a six month notification.  What ship are you on and what is your cruise date?

Hi, we are on Emerald Princess sailing on November 25th through the Panama canal.

welshrich;  did you book directly with Princess or use a travel agent?  I ask because if your sailing is 25 Nov you should have heard from Princess or your travel agent regarding this cruise.. If you have not been notified of a cancelled cruise; then there is hope it is still going to go.

We have a late December cruise on Enchanted Princess and she's still in the shipyard.  Have heard nothing on her or her release date which has already been delayed once.  

16 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Don you guys are on lockdown for the next six weeks?

Speaking from the other side of the country (Western Australia - Perth), Victoria is pretty much locked out of the rest of the country now. The hard border closures came at midnight Tuesday/Wednesday. They are getting 100+ confirmed cases per day (have been for about a week now). That is small potatoes compared to comparable populations in the USA, but we have been very cautious/lucky in Australia so far. We haven't had a case of community transmission in Western Australia for over a month and things are pretty much back to normal here. Pubs are open, restaurant, gyms etc. We have footy (Australian Football) coming back to the state in another week and we will have crowds of at least 30,000. They are still debating whether to allow a full stadium here (60,000) or not.

The rest of the country, apart from Victoria, is also faring pretty well. The NT, SA and Tasmania are fine, Queensland is similar to WA, and NWS has a few more cases. Most cases outside Victoria were simply from international flights (returned Australians and residents, for example) who had to go into 14-day hotel quarantines. A small percentage of them have tested positive.

Hence the alarm about the Victorian outbreak, because it is largely community transmission, and much more so than the original March-April case counts, which were mostly travel-related. The infected tend to be younger this time around (don't mention the protests /cough).

Cruise ships have had a bad press in Australia, because of the Diamond, and especially the Ruby leading to many of the cases in Australia.

A long ramble, but that's the general picture in Oz. Even if things settle down in Victoria, and there are no further outbreaks, Princess, and cruise ships more generally, will have to deal with the negative press over the last few months. It will take some convincing that things are good to go again.

PS> Within Melbourne there are nine (if I recall correctly) apartments blocks in which the residents are in hard lock down. Many suburbs are expected to self-isolate. Further details at the Government web site:

https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-victoria

Edited by BulldustHHH

18 hours ago, welshrich said:

Basically, if they cancel it will only happen when they are extremely sure it cannot take place and that means it is impossible to say in advance how far from embarkation day it would be. Cancellation could be for any reason from countries on the itinerary not allowing cruise ships yet to lack of approved protocols that meet official (CDC and/or EU) guidelines for allowing cruising to resume.

So cancellation if it happens could be before final payment or after.

18 hours ago, AF-1 said:

welshrich;  did you book directly with Princess or use a travel agent?  I ask because if your sailing is 25 Nov you should have heard from Princess or your travel agent regarding this cruise.. If you have not been notified of a cancelled cruise; then there is hope it is still going to go.

Hi, we booked via a TA, got such a great deal and the princess plus add on, not heard anything from them.  I'm wondering if it goes ahead would they do it but not let anyone off at the various ports.

27 minutes ago, welshrich said:

Hi, we booked via a TA, got such a great deal and the princess plus add on, not heard anything from them.  I'm wondering if it goes ahead would they do it but not let anyone off at the various ports.

Can't see it going ahead, and even if it did they would have to sail at no more than 75% capacity.

The UK government is still advising against cruise travel, so you have no insurance,  which is vital in the current  environment. 

There is still no protocol as to what Princess will do if a case of CV19 is discovered on board, which is of major concern.

And, at the moment, you will have to self isolate for14 days on your return.

I certainly wouldn't be planning on going!

I personally do not see any of the cruise lines sailing this year.  I think right now they are setting sights on Jan 2021;  I read that Royal Caribbean and Norwegian teamed up to hire outside consultants that will try and figure out how to  move forward once things open up again.

7 hours ago, BulldustHHH said:

Speaking from the other side of the country (Western Australia - Perth), Victoria is pretty much locked out of the rest of the country now. The hard border closures came at midnight Tuesday/Wednesday. They are getting 100+ confirmed cases per day (have been for about a week now). That is small potatoes compared to comparable populations in the USA, but we have been very cautious/lucky in Australia so far. We haven't had a case of community transmission in Western Australia for over a month and things are pretty much back to normal here. Pubs are open, restaurant, gyms etc. We have footy (Australian Football) coming back to the state in another week and we will have crowds of at least 30,000. They are still debating whether to allow a full stadium here (60,000) or not.

The rest of the country, apart from Victoria, is also faring pretty well. The NT, SA and Tasmania are fine, Queensland is similar to WA, and NWS has a few more cases. Most cases outside Victoria were simply from international flights (returned Australians and residents, for example) who had to go into 14-day hotel quarantines. A small percentage of them have tested positive.

Hence the alarm about the Victorian outbreak, because it is largely community transmission, and much more so than the original March-April case counts, which were mostly travel-related. The infected tend to be younger this time around (don't mention the protests /cough).

Cruise ships have had a bad press in Australia, because of the Diamond, and especially the Ruby leading to many of the cases in Australia.

A long ramble, but that's the general picture in Oz. Even if things settle down in Victoria, and there are no further outbreaks, Princess, and cruise ships more generally, will have to deal with the negative press over the last few months. It will take some convincing that things are good to go again.

PS> Within Melbourne there are nine (if I recall correctly) apartments blocks in which the residents are in hard lock down. Many suburbs are expected to self-isolate. Further details at the Government web site:

https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-restrictions-victoria

Thanks for your update with things in AU