NCL/RCL Safety Panel

ToxM

Only important part was that the Committee would complete Phase 1 recommendations on August 15. After that , the Lines could complete their action plans for submission to the CDC. 

So if the Lines make their submittals by 9/1, how long will the CDC take to finally approve them? How many back and forths?

Sailing from US ports might start up last!

34 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Maybe this will force a response from CDC.

I'm pretty sure the CDC already responded to what the cruise lines have given them to date, and that response wasn't exactly positive...to say the least.

If you read the Cruise critic article I posted a link to in my post immediately previous to this one you'll see some very telling words from FDR about the protocols NCLH announced in June:

"The move by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. comes on the heels of new health and safety recommendations put forth by the European Union, and by Norwegian Cruise Line's own health and safety protocols that were released in June. Those, Del Rio told Cruise Critic, are still a part of the relaunch plan for the line.

"What Norwegian put out were things that were very obvious," Del Rio said."We are in a rush to get back to work"

I think the cruise lines have finally realized that the CDC isn't going to accept eyewash as action plans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'm pretty sure the CDC already responded to what the cruise lines have given them to date, and that response wasn't exactly positive...to say the least.

If you read the Cruise critic article I posted a link to in my post immediately previous to this one you'll see some very telling words from FDR about the protocols NCLH announced in June:

"The move by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. comes on the heels of new health and safety recommendations put forth by the European Union, and by Norwegian Cruise Line's own health and safety protocols that were released in June. Those, Del Rio told Cruise Critic, are still a part of the relaunch plan for the line.

"What Norwegian put out were things that were very obvious," Del Rio said."We are in a rush to get back to work"

I think the cruise lines have finally realized that the CDC isn't going to accept eyewash as action plans.

You may be right but I had read CDC was refusing to even comment or provide feedback  on cruise line plans saying they were concentrating on crew repatriation.

Edited by KirkNC

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

😂😂!

Force a response from a governmental Agency!! 😂😂

You obviously haven’t dealt with many! 😳

That's exactly why I think it's going to be a long time. The back and forth is going to give generous deadlines, I'm betting.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

😂😂!

Force a response from a governmental Agency!! 😂😂

You obviously haven’t dealt with many! 😳

Actually I was a banker, we had seven regulators when I retired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KirkNC said:

You may be right but I had read CDC was refusing to even comment or provide feedback  on cruise line plans saying they were concentrating on crew repatriation.

That was one side's version, NCL and an investment analyst, nowhere was any feedback from the CDC even looked for in the articles I saw, so who's to say what is correct?

Here's my take on the new working group:

• Like 1

I will again point out that Carnival’s CEO said “ American ports may be the last to open “.

I don’t believe the winter 2021 season will be lost due to the CDC’s slow (in)action. As we were trained in Army Ranger School: Continually Strategize, Improvise, and Achieve the Objective!

What does that mean for a cruise line like NCLH? If they can’t get CDC clearance by a given date, then Miami is no longer the port of Embarkment/Disembarkment for those cruises. San Juan, PR goes off the port list also. Cozumel , San Lucia, and other non US ports replace it. Start then  just focusing on next summer cruises to Alaska from the US.

A bonus for FDR: once he skips Miami , can you say Hello Cuba?

Strategize, Improvise, Achieve the Objective! 

This is a smart move on the part of RCCL and NCL. I am a retired health care regulator and also a lobbyist. I can tell you that putting together a panel with the significant gravitas of this group gives them credibility with the CDC and also when they plead their case to Congress if necessary. Of course the cruise lines have a steep hill to climb in terms of credibility and convincing government agencies that cruising can ever be safe and viable in this Covid world, but this is definitely a credible strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I will again point out that Carnival’s CEO said “ American ports may be the last to open “.

I don’t believe the winter 2021 season will be lost due to the CDC’s slow (in)action. As we were trained in Army Ranger School: Continually Strategize, Improvise, and Achieve the Objective!

What does that mean for a cruise line like NCLH? If they can’t get CDC clearance by a given date, then Miami is no longer the port of Embarkment/Disembarkment for those cruises. San Juan, PR goes off the port list also. Cozumel , San Lucia, and other non US ports replace it. Start then  just focusing on next summer cruises to Alaska from the US.

A bonus for FDR: once he skips Miami , can you say Hello Cuba?

Strategize, Improvise, Achieve the Objective! 

If they can not get CDC clearance why would you think these other countries would be the home port for our ships?  No way it could happen.  Do you know how many ships leave from Miami and FLL and Port Canaveral each day in season?  Could be 15 or 20.  We have spent years building the facilities and workers to handle this many ships and people.  Probable 30 or 40 thousand people coming and going.  Each day.   No way. 

A Cruise line like Oceania with 600&1100 passengers ships sailing Carribe cruises is much more flexible in making that move than the mega ship lines.

The US may be able to print money at will. Those Carribean countries can’t. Many would welcome those cruisers flying in a day early, paying a head tax at the airport, staying in their hotels, and eating in their restaurants. While the EU may not want or need our filthy money and unsanitary credit cards or countries do. Do you believe St. Lucia cares how many people are in the Terrace at once?

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Many would welcome those cruisers flying in a day early, paying a head tax at the airport, staying in their hotels, and eating in their restaurants.

No doubt. But it seems a ton of people here will only drive to ports.

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

While the EU may not want or need our filthy money and unsanitary credit cards

Why do you have this attitude? Day after day. If I were in charge I wouldn't allow us in either.  Does anyone ever agree with your attitude?

26 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

St. Lucia may not care but every person in the Terrace should care.

Passengers have both the right and ability to make that decision, for themselves, every time they walk into the door. Even at 6 ft spacing of tables, each and every passenger can say, “ Too crowded for me! I’ll go to the GDR, or come back later!” 

The 07:00 Terrace Zoo is over! Thank heavens! Now the interesting thing to watch is the methodology that O uses to decide who gets in when! Same goes for lunch and the GDR at dinner! Even with reduced ship capacity,  I’m guessing a reservation system for all restaurants, maybe for all meals. Those same people complaining about only having 9:00 availability for dinner in the Specialty restaurants may soon be saying the same about the Terrace and GDR. Always room service, and I’ve never felt hunger pangs on Oceania, even when dining late! 

It doesn’t matter, I’ll still be traveling. If it matters to you, then obviously you need to stay at home and not cruise, which you have continuously said you plan to do anyway. Therefore, it shouldn’t matter to you either! You won’t be aboard.

I am somewhat mystified as to why RCL and NCLH needed to create a new entity for this joint panel, where they stated their findings would be non proprietary, and invited all cruise lines to freely adopt.    It's a good thing, but what I don't understand, is why didn't this come under the auspices of their trade association, "CLIA", which represents almost all of the cruise lines?

https://cruising.org/en/about-the-industry/about-clia

9 hours ago, bob brown said:

I am somewhat mystified as to why RCL and NCLH needed to create a new entity for this joint panel, where they stated their findings would be non proprietary, and invited all cruise lines to freely adopt.    It's a good thing, but what I don't understand, is why didn't this come under the auspices of their trade association, "CLIA", which represents almost all of the cruise lines?

https://cruising.org/en/about-the-industry/about-clia

Too many chefs in the kitchen does not a good meal make!  Two CEO, that apparently get along, can work more nimbly and effectively than a larger group to complete a goal. It’s hard to herd a flock  of chickens!